Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Foggy Stained Interior windows

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Have you tried using air conditioning for defogging?
    Hello.
    Yes the defogger works to some small degree.The A.C. does less of a job on it.
    Its like all the things that have been tried leave some kind of residue still somehow.
    A friend of mine says i should remove the door panels,and look inside where the windows go up,and down,but i,m not sure.
    Just got the "Stoners" Invisible glass cleaner,and Invisible wipes.
    On the Canadian instructions for the glass cleaner ,it says i can use newspapers to wipe down the windows,so thats what i did last night.Have not seen what it looks like today yet,as it is still light out.
    I have been taking pics of the windows at night before during this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Have you checked your carpet for dampness or a leak? That seems like a lot of condensation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-27-2021),mortiny88 (10-27-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Have you checked your carpet for dampness or a leak? That seems like a lot of condensation.
    Will do.
    I,m wondering now if a lot of people are dealing with this problem,or if this is an issue that has come into play within the last 5 or less years?
    I say that wondering if how cars are being made may or may not have something to do with this.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    As I asked earlier, Do you have the heater in the "Fresh Air" position & have you checked the Cabin Filter??? I don't see where you have checked them. The window cleaner will not help if you can't get fresh air into the cabin... Check above & report... Do NOT run the HVAC in the recirculation position if you want to prevent the condensation... Just my thought from ~30 ish years in the business ...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-27-2021),mortiny88 (10-27-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    As I asked earlier, Do you have the heater in the "Fresh Air" position & have you checked the Cabin Filter??? I don't see where you have checked them. The window cleaner will not help if you can't get fresh air into the cabin... Check above & report... Do NOT run the HVAC in the recirculation position if you want to prevent the condensation... Just my thought from ~30 ish years in the business ...
    Agree with everything said here! Make sure your cabin air filter is clean.

Like said before, fresh air circulate along with heat & A/C combined works best, but your cabin air filter must been clean, too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mortiny88 (10-27-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Sorry.Didnt mean to overlook your post.
    I,m just in a hurry now,and unhinged to just fix it,and be done with it...in a quick wipe fix.
    I will give your suggestion due diligence now.
    Never been a car expert,especially with this one.Everything has been good since it was bought.No window issues of any kind,or anything ever like that,and i havent changed anything on the dashboard symbol settings or the air filter,which i,m assuming is the same as the cabin filter.Just changed the oil like clockwork,and tires,and all the other fundamental things you are taught or told to do.
    I do have one question for anybody who cares to answer.
    Would a tuneup fix this if your suggestions dont pan out?
    If so,then that would be the next thing i do.
    My mechanic has said i do not need one,but that was a few months ago.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mortiny88 View Post
    Sorry.Didnt mean to overlook your post.
    I,m just in a hurry now,and unhinged to just fix it,and be done with it...in a quick wipe fix.
    I will give your suggestion due diligence now.
    Never been a car expert,especially with this one.Everything has been good since it was bought.No window issues of any kind,or anything ever like that,and i havent changed anything on the dashboard symbol settings or the air filter,which i,m assuming is the same as the cabin filter.Just changed the oil like clockwork,and tires,and all the other fundamental things you are taught or told to do.
    I do have one question for anybody who cares to answer.
    Would a tuneup fix this if your suggestions dont pan out?
    If so,then that would be the next thing i do.
    My mechanic has said i do not need one,but that was a few months ago.
    Cabin air filter is behind your glovebox. You need to drop the glovebox out and pull a rectangular cover off & slide the filter out.

Your engine air filter is above your engine in the engine compartment. Engine air filter & cabin air are not much alike at all other than they are both filters.

You need to do the obvious first and check your cabin air filter like we are telling you. Look it up on youtube, ask your mechanic to help you in the parking lot, or do whatever to figure it.

Here are some clips to help you -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYVmGm6Wzf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdg1WA20I0Y

These cars don't clear the windshield well when the cabin air filter is dirty/clogged. This has nothing to do with an engine tune up. You have a good mechanic. He's telling you to not waste your money, but he should have suggested checking the cabin air if you shared this issue with him.

Checking a cabin air filter requires no tools!

I check my cabin air filter & my engine air filter every time I change oil (every 5,000 miles).

Most of the time, I just blow my cabin air filter our with an air compressor, but I have changed them over time, too!

I tend to change my engine air filter every 30,000 miles. I check it between changes, however.

If you have a 2015 & have owned for a long time, your cabin air filter could look horrible. If so, replace it asap. This is the first thing to check for your issue.
    Last edited by Mark; 10-27-2021 at 03:54 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mortiny88 (10-28-2021)

I'm having a hard time following this thread. Did you mention which temp controls you have, automatic or manual??? Either or, it doesn't matter much. The settings should be the same. I'll copy everything that's been said one more time:
    -Set the controls to DEFROST
    -make sure snowflake(ac) symbol is lit up.
    -Set temperature to hot not cold.
    -set to fresh air(outside air).
    -Do not set to recirculate(symbol with the arrows in a circle).

-Turn fan up
    -maybe crack a window.
    -check the drip/drain hose under the dash on the right hand side and make sure the drain hose for the heater box didn't get kicked off by a passenger.
    -read owners manual on how temp controls work.

Does your ac even work?
    How long have you owned your car for?

I have seen a couple cars that get really bad in the fall and winter. The entire floor is usually soaked causing the windows to fog up, and they usually have the temp controls set to recirc with ac off.

Do you drive around with a steaming open cup o noodles? After looking at your pics that's a ton of moisture in there. I'd assume either your floor is soaked or you are in a location with really high humidity.

And sadly no, a "tune up" won't stop windows from fogging up anymore than it would a flat tire.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-27-2021 at 02:39 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mortiny88 (10-28-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Cabin air filter is behind your glovebox. You need to drop the glovebox out and pull a rectangular cover off & slide the filter out.

Your engine air filter is above your engine in the engine compartment. Engine air filter & cabin air are not much alike at all other than they are both filters.

You need to do the obvious first and check your cabin air filter like we are telling you. Look it up on youtube, ask your mechanic to help you in the parking lot, or do whatever to figure it.

Here are some clips to help you -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYVmGm6Wzf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdg1WA20I0Y

These cars don't clear the windshield well when the cabin air filter is dirty/clogged. This has nothing to do with an engine tune up. You have a good mechanic. He's telling you to not waste your money, but he should have suggested checking the cabin air if you shared this issue with him.

Checking a cabin air filter requires no tools!

I check my cabin air filter & my engine air filter every time I change oil (every 5,000 miles).

Most of the time, I just blow my cabin air filter our with an air compressor, but I have changed them over time, too!

I tend to change my engine air filter every 30,000 miles. I check it between changes, however.

If you have a 2015 & have owned for a long time, your cabin air filter could look horrible. If so, replace it asap. This is the first thing to check for your issue.
    Hello.
    I,m taking it to the mechanic tomorrow.
    This is gone horribly wrong.
    I think its because of all the chemicals that have already been used on all the windows prior to me posting here in the first place.
    I will ask the mechanic to check the engine,and cabin filters.
    I,ll check the cabin filter later on myself.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm having a hard time following this thread. Did you mention which temp controls you have, automatic or manual??? Either or, it doesn't matter much. The settings should be the same. I'll copy everything that's been said one more time:
    -Set the controls to DEFROST
    -make sure snowflake(ac) symbol is lit up.
    -Set temperature to hot not cold.
    -set to fresh air(outside air).
    -Do not set to recirculate(symbol with the arrows in a circle).

-Turn fan up
    -maybe crack a window.
    -check the drip/drain hose under the dash on the right hand side and make sure the drain hose for the heater box didn't get kicked off by a passenger.
    -read owners manual on how temp controls work.

Does your ac even work?
    How long have you owned your car for?

I have seen a couple cars that get really bad in the fall and winter. The entire floor is usually soaked causing the windows to fog up, and they usually have the temp controls set to recirc with ac off.

Do you drive around with a steaming open cup o noodles? After looking at your pics that's a ton of moisture in there. I'd assume either your floor is soaked or you are in a location with really high humidity.

And sadly no, a "tune up" won't stop windows from fogging up anymore than it would a flat tire.
    Hello.
    The floor,and mat are dry.
    I have owned it since 2017.
    I,ve been cracking the windows etc
    The HVAC was good last night.It helped keep the windows clearer than usual,but there are still stains from previous wipe attempts from other supposed amazing glass cleaners.
    There are color setting to indicate heat,and a.c.,and i set it to the middle which helped the most last night.
    It helped that the weather was also clear.
    I,ll see what the mechanic says...finally able to get an appt.