Thread: New oil priming

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New oil priming

I changed my engine oil today and was curious what other people thought.

On most cars I've had the oil filter sat upside down which means I could fill it with fresh oil so that the engine didn't have to pump through it when I started it up, obviously this isn't really possible with the side facing oil filter on the Mirage.

Anyway I started it up and there was a brief period of what I'd call no oil noise before you could hear the oil get up to pressure so to speak. I was just wondering if anyone had a favourite method for stopping the car from injecting/sparking which would allow me to crank the engine over a bit, allowing the new oil to be pushed around before starting the engine for real.

I do have a non RFID key that only opens the doors that I take when going near the ocean but the guy who cut it for me told me that if I use it to try and start the car a certain number of times the computer will lock forever and I'd need to buy another ECU (sounds dubious but I'd rather not test it). I've read elsewhere that you can pull certain fuses and then crank, I don't want to be injecting a whole lot of fuel though, so it must not do that, I don't want to mess up the C converter.

I suppose I could just run a hot wire from the battery to the starter motor for a few seconds.

Do people think it's worthwhile? Was primarily just curious for opinions.

Last edited by skyblue; 10-29-2021 at 03:39 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    I suppose I could just run a hot wire from the battery to the starter motor for a few seconds.

The oil filter on my 2011 Subaru Forester is mounted straight up. There's no way you're pre-filling an oil filter in that position. I would say the Mirage is in a tough spot to do so, too! If you tried to fill it a little, the mess wouldn't be worth it.

I personally don't give this much thought or concern. I just make sure my engine has been running before I start my oil change. I like changing warmed up oil (flows out better), but it also makes sure everything is lubed up inside the engine before you start the oil change.

Draining the oil, changing the oil filter, and refilling the oil pan takes about 10-15 minutes. I don't think the internal parts are bone dry of all oil in that amount of time. I have to believe a slight film of oil may be protecting the internal parts to some degree. Thus, I put some value in doing the job as quick as possible & start it back up again.

If that's not good enough, I've been doing oil changes wrong for 40+ years.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

skyblue (10-29-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I prefill the filter slightly before install. Assuming your filter has an anti drawback valve you can pre-fill it like 1/5 the way before install. you can also spin the filter around a bit and let the paper filter media absorb some tiny amount of oil aswell. If your really anal about it you can always pull the fuel injector fuse and crank the car. This may possibly give you a check engine light. Im not sure what youre concerned about. These engines are very reliable try not to overthink things.

On a side note, you wouldn't run a wire from battery to starter. you would run it from battery to starter solenoid.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

skyblue (10-29-2021)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I prefill the filter slightly before install. Assuming your filter has an anti drawback valve you can pre-fill it like 1/5 the way before install. you can also spin the filter around a bit and let the paper filter media absorb some tiny amount of oil aswell. If your really anal about it you can always pull the fuel injector fuse and crank the car. This may possibly give you a check engine light. Im not sure what youre concerned about. These engines are very reliable try not to overthink things.

On a side note, you wouldn't run a wire from battery to starter. you would run it from battery to starter solenoid.
    I'm not that bothered, I just thought someone might have method already for cranking the engine without starting it, just to wet the filter with oil, but I'll probably just wet it a touch inside before screwing it on, it's in a pretty annoying place, and I forgot to move my drain pan when unscrewing the old one and a fair bit went on the ground without me even upending the filter.

I can't see a fuse that would relate to EFI, unless it's just the 20A engine fuse.

https://fuse-box.info/mitsubishi/mit...014-2018-fuses

edit Fuse 23 which is just labelled engine (yellow 20A) in the manual will cut power to injectors. In the engine bay fusebox.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 3156
Size:  45.6 KB
    Last edited by skyblue; 10-29-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    When I wanted to do a compression test I pulled the fuel pump relay to keep the injectors from washing the cylinders and affecting the readings. It is in the fuse box under the hood.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    I changed my engine oil today and was curious what other people thought.

On most cars I've had the oil filter sat upside down which means I could fill it with fresh oil so that the engine didn't have to pump through it when I started it up, obviously this isn't really possible with the side facing oil filter on the Mirage.

Anyway I started it up and there was a brief period of what I'd call no oil noise before you could hear the oil get up to pressure so to speak. I was just wondering if anyone had a favourite method for stopping the car from injecting/sparking which would allow me to crank the engine over a bit, allowing the new oil to be pushed around before starting the engine for real.

I do have a non RFID key that only opens the doors that I take when going near the ocean but the guy who cut it for me told me that if I use it to try and start the car a certain number of times the computer will lock forever and I'd need to buy another ECU (sounds dubious but I'd rather not test it). I've read elsewhere that you can pull certain fuses and then crank, I don't want to be injecting a whole lot of fuel though, so it must not do that, I don't want to mess up the C converter.

Point1:
    Although the oil filter is horizontally mounted, you can fill it to almost full then quickly spin it on without getting much mess.

Point2: The no-oil-rattle can be practically eliminated by mounting a better oil filter, of course with a non-return valve. There are plenty of threads in this forum about that. There is also a thread about non-US oil filters. My favourite is Filtron OP575, because with that filter the rattle is gone.

Point3: Mine also has your sort of key, but I don't use it. Can't imagine you need another ECU from using it as intended. Anyway, it should react the same way if you use it in Caloundra or Indooroopilly, I mean it doesn't know where you are.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Point1:
    Although the oil filter is horizontally mounted, you can fill it to almost full then quickly spin it on without getting much mess.
    I would love to watch that being done!

I like changing the oil filter from the top, and it's in a blind spot from that position. I don't see much oil staying in the filter before I was done spinning it on completely. In my opinion, more mess & a waste of new oil. I suppose doing it from the bottom may help some, but I don't see pulling that off with an almost full oil filter?

Regardless, I do believe hanging the rear end up on your Mirage from a tree would help one attach a full oil filter!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Regardless, I do believe hanging the rear end up on your Mirage from a tree would help one attach a full oil filter!
    Pictures!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    John Deere engines in the 90's had an engine oil filter (spin-on like most modern engines) where the open enid faced straight down. You know what I was thinking the first time I unscrewed one of those, doncha! Was delighted to see not a drop of oil! Yea! No mess. These filters were huge, easily two quarts. They fill really fast and the expensive rotating parts suffer none. Don't be concerned.

Also back in the 90's some aviation outfit sold a very expensive pre-oiler set-up to pressurize the lube system prior to spin start the engine. High-price reciprocating aircraft engines have done quite well without such for many decades. The current draw of the electric pump is enormous! Put one of those on to settle your worries.
    Karl

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Point1:
    I do not routinely get startup rattle, only when doing an oil change, I admire your skill in spinning on the oil filter.

Thanks for everyones feedback.