Thread: Denso pre lubricated o-ring oil filter

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Denso pre lubricated o-ring oil filter

Until today, I always put a little extra oil on the oring on these pre lubed filters. Was in a hurry and figured the pre lube is adequate, but noticed the filter box states putting a thin film of oil on the gasket.
    I wonder if this is just generic information, or does the pre lubed gasket need oil as well as a non pre lubed? Or, am I over thinking things (as usual)?
    Thanks!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If it doesn't leak, I don't think I'd worry about it. You may find the "O" ring may stick to the block on the next filter change , so be careful of that...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

tomrad (11-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, you're probably right.

I used to use the mitsu brand filters that used a pre-greased o-ring seal. I never put oil on them and never had any problems with them. It's fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

tomrad (11-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I used to use the mitsu brand filters that used a pre-greased o-ring seal. I never put oil on them and never had any problems with them. It's fine.
    This. Putting oil on top of grease is completely unnecessary. As long as there is something on the gasket to keep it from baking itself to the block you are good.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This. Putting oil on top of grease is completely unnecessary. As long as there is something on the gasket to keep it from baking itself to the block you are good.
    How do you know which one you get? I have been changing my own oil my whole life and consider myself pretty up to date on things and this is the first I have ever heard of this...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

tomrad (11-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    How do you know which one you get? I have been changing my own oil my whole life and consider myself pretty up to date on things and this is the first I have ever heard of this...
    I wouldn't worry about all this. A pre-lubed oil filter gasket doesn't mean anything more than it's pre-lubed. It doesn't indicate a superior oil filter or anything else.

I would guess a pre-lubed one will have a plastic cover that needs to be pulled off before installing it. Pull the plastic film off & install it. For the others put a thin coat of oil on the gasket before installing it.

Some gaskets are round & others are flat. I think the flat ones especially need a light coating of oil. The most important thing is making sure the gasket comes off with the oil filter when you remove it. Oiling the gasket should help this, but it's still something you want to make sure of.

Basic - I'm sure you know all this, but others read these threads, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I wouldn't worry about all this. A pre-lubed oil filter gasket doesn't mean anything more than it's pre-lubed. It doesn't indicate a superior oil filter or anything else.

I would guess a pre-lubed one will have a plastic cover that needs to be pulled off before installing it. Pull the plastic film off & install it. For the others put a thin coat of oil on the gasket before installing it.

Some gaskets are round & others are flat. I think the flat ones especially need a light coating of oil. The most important thing is making sure the gasket comes off with the oil filter when you remove it. Oiling the gasket should help this, but it's still something you want to make sure of.

Basic - I'm sure you know all this, but others read these threads, too!
    Yes, the Mitsubishi Denso filter has the plastic covering over the bottom and greased oring seal. MZ690072, the bigger filter. Works great.