Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The times they are a changin'

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't think high gas prices are gonna make the majority of people start looking at buying a Mirage. Some yes but the majority of sheeple, probably not. How do you keep up with the Jones' in a Mirage?
    The best thing going for the Mirage -

No more Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, or Ford cars (except the Mustang). Chrysler is focused on Jeeps and Ram trucks.

Outside of the Chevy Spark, the Mirage needs to appear competitive price-wise to the Hyundai/KIA & Nissan offerings, which are a set up in size/power in my opinion. Some who try to keep up with the Jones own multiple vehicles for older family members. It's still nice to have options outside of trucks & SUVs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Ed Zachery.

This is sort of beside the point, but it points out the fact how versatile this vehicle is. Also I think DT88 is kind of waffling between a GeeFoe and a HB. This is not meant to sway, just something to ponder.

I've got a bunch of vacation days to burn, but a burning project so I'm not sure I'll get to burn them all. I took off last Friday. I manage an apartment in Marietta (Dirk) that I rent for my son and rent out 2 other rooms. A roommate told me on 10/25 that he was moving out, too bad, he is a good guy. Luckily I quickly found a new guy to move in. The new guy is from Utah, and was flying in Friday at noon. He's a kid, just like my son, flying in with the clothes on his back plus suitcases.

I told him I'd pick him up at the airport, because I needed to burn a day, would be coming right by there, needed to clean up the room he was moving into, and I wanted to meet the other roommate too (which I had not). He was elated as he was going to have to spend like, what $40-$60 to uber to Marietta, and even more to get supplies from Wallie. I was happy to support him as I'm a dad, I would hope if my son flew away he'd have someone nice to support him. I go to pick him up, I already had a vacuum cleaner in the back with the seats laid down.

He had 4 huge hardcases stuffed full and heavy, plus a back pack. It was somewhat tight but it all fit in there. It would not have fit in a trunk with the trunk closed. It probably would not have fit in the back seat. But the HB took it all.

We went to the apartment, dropped his bags and vacuum cleaner. Then I dropped him off at the local Wallie, and went back to the apartment and vacuumed his room, living room and hallways. Set a bunch of clocks (oven, microwave, thermostat, etc). Set the thermostat to heat cause I'd say those knuckleheads would let the pipes freeze before they'd fidgit with it. Then the new guy texted me and I went and got him at Wallie. He had just as much or more crap than the airport pickup. I took him and all that crap back to the apartment, and got all his stuff in his room. Good kid. My son came in from classes, and the old roommate stopped by to drop the keys. Bunch of good kids and me. But dern, that Blueberry was handy.

And, I left my house with 4 of 8 fuel blocks (~half a tank). I got home and had 1 block left and no blinking. I averaged about 47 mpg and put over 100 miles on the Mirage. A helluva vehicle. It helps me give as little to our idiot politicians (all of them) as is possible. Thank God for our smart politicians / founders way back yonder. Anywho - A helluva car.

If GM were smart, they'd make as close to an equivalent Mirage with a pickup bed as is possible, like a Metro with a pickup bed, and call it an El Camino (like Ford is doing with the Maverick). But make it basically a Metro pickup. 3-tapper and all. Heck, they could slap the Volt drivetrain to it. The Volt drivetrain still is the best electric / hybird concept out there.
    Even today, I'm still torn between G4 and HB. I did check and test drove both. I like the G4 more for comfort practicality but I am going for HB for better MPG, less weight load, and affordability to reduce the need for the SUV as a primary commuter. Plus the HB look more modernized versus G4 in my opinion. I'll go ahead and ask Rich to work with me on placing the order. I'll go crazy if the bottom line price difference is just $1k.

Thanks goodness I didn't get the Scion/Yaris iA! The used car price is INSANE as Mazda 3! My wife likes the mirage more anyways so happy camper.

Anyways, all of you guys made a valid point on this thread. My journey is still ongoing. I can wait though it is not easy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    The mpg difference is not worth considering. But isn't the G4 normally less expensive?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The mpg difference is not worth considering. But isn't the G4 normally less expensive?
    Not from my research unfortunately. Plus, there aren't many new G4 with the manual.

But I'm curious to understand your POV, why the mpg difference is not worth considering? I thought it should as to be on the near hybrid mpg territory especially when the difference is $1k in purchase price between these twos, per Mitsubishi website, no? 🤔

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think their mpg is so close (5-speed HB vs 5-speed G4 or CVT HB vs CVT G4) that I wouldn't choose HB versus G4 based on mpg. They're so close, chose the body style that you prefer and will be more satisfied with long term.

I can't remember which one gets the $1k premium (retail MSRP), but from my memory the G4 was actually selling for less $.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Name:  hatch_v_G4.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  26.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Even today, I'm still torn between G4 and HB. I did check and test drove both. I like the G4 more for comfort practicality but I am going for HB for better MPG, less weight load, and affordability to reduce the need for the SUV as a primary commuter. Plus the HB look more modernized versus G4 in my opinion. I'll go ahead and ask Rich to work with me on placing the order. I'll go crazy if the bottom line price difference is just $1k.

Thanks goodness I didn't get the Scion/Yaris iA! The used car price is INSANE as Mazda 3! My wife likes the mirage more anyways so happy camper.

Anyways, all of you guys made a valid point on this thread. My journey is still ongoing. I can wait though it is not easy.
    While I would advocate for the HB every day all day over the G4, where are you finding that the HB is significantly better than the G4 for MPG? In all actuality, it should be the other way around. Sedans almost always have a better drag coefficient than the equivalent hatch. I probably should know both of their numbers, but I have forgotten them. Darin probably knows.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't think high gas prices are gonna make the majority of people start looking at buying a Mirage. Some yes but the majority of sheeple, probably not. How do you keep up with the Jones' in a Mirage?
    Slowly. Or you use the money you save on gas and car payments to put in a pool.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Sedans almost always have a better drag coefficient than the equivalent hatch.
    Basic - While I agree with your statement, if it were possible to break mpg down into a pure segment of "around town / city" mpg versus pure "highway," I would guess that the HB may take the lead (by half a gnat's ass) over the G4 in "city" driving. But only because it weighs a couple kibbles less. But out on the autobahns (our interstates) I have to believe the advantage goes the other way, but just by both butt checks of a gnat, based on your statement above.

That's why I say, pick the body style one thinks they will be more satisfied long term. Over 100k miles, the $'s difference spent on gas between the 2 body styles would probably be less than $100. So, mpg is not a characteristic I would use to decide between HB or G4.

My $0.02 worth. Let me know if you need change back!

7milesout