Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cvt searching for ratio

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Cvt searching for ratio

2017 with 91661 miles on it. It seems like after extended highway speeds the rpm will start jumping and falling from 2k to 3k and back again. It does the continually until it just randomly will just stop but seems to stop when I get off the highway. Sometimes it only does it after long highway drives and sometimes it does it after a minute on the highway. Any ideas. Fluid doesn’t look too dark and doesn’t smell burnt. Should I take it to the dealer and try to let my extended warranty play with it or should I change the fluid and filter first?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubablake View Post
    2017 with 91661 miles on it. It seems like after extended highway speeds the rpm will start jumping and falling from 2k to 3k and back again. It does the continually until it just randomly will just stop but seems to stop when I get off the highway. Sometimes it only does it after long highway drives and sometimes it does it after a minute on the highway. Any ideas. Fluid doesn’t look too dark and doesn’t smell burnt. Should I take it to the dealer and try to let my extended warranty play with it or should I change the fluid and filter first?
    If you've never had a fluid or filter change in your CVT then yes you are way overdue. Even though your condition isn't specifically listed in the following TSB after I had it done on mine it improved highway operation also. Much better torque converter lockup. But you are allegedly over mileage for this to be considered warranty but I'd give it a shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can’t find a cvt interval in the owners manual anywhere. I know for a severe schedule it lists one but I’m not on the severe schedule. Also it’s an aftermarket warranty when I purchased the car so hopefully will have some better luck although who knows. Thanks for your input

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Fummins. You're needed.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I can’t find a cvt interval in the owners manual anywhere. I know for a severe schedule it lists one but I’m not on the severe schedule. Also it’s an aftermarket warranty when I purchased the car so hopefully will have some better luck although who knows. Thanks for your input
    Every 90K KM in my book. Get the dealer to look at it, they can force the CVT to relearn or they could update the software.

Name:  IMG_20210407_142301.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  83.0 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to skyblue For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-29-2021)

Our 14 spark cvt acted like that. On the highway the tach would bounce at a steady speed. Dealer replaced cvt no questions asked. Then it did it again shortly after so they replaced it again and we sold the car since warranty was almost up. This was with under 60,000miles on it.

My 14' Mirage with 287,xxx kms acts like that sometimes when hot. I just let off the throttle and let it upshift. I don't drive very far with it though, only about 20km each way a day.

If you can get warranty coverage I'd give that a try. Depending on the warranty you have. A dealer would probably claim you gotta follow the severe schedule.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    Every 90K KM in my book. Get the dealer to look at it, they can force the CVT to relearn or they could update the software.

Name:  IMG_20210407_142301.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  83.0 KB
    Is that a Mirage specific schedule or a generic/universal maintenance schedule for all Mitsubishi's?

Out here they say to change the spark plugs every 160,000km, change transmission fluid never for the regular schedule or every 50,000km for the severe. There's no mention of changing the fuel strainer/filter iirc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Is that a Mirage specific schedule or a generic/universal maintenance schedule for all Mitsubishi's?

Out here they say to change the spark plugs every 160,000km, change transmission fluid never for the regular schedule or every 50,000km for the severe. There's no mention of changing the fuel strainer/filter iirc.
    I'm not sure, but it is very generic, but I've been told by two different Mitsubishi dealerships (parts and workshop guys) here that they service them at 90 thousand and it's just a fluid in n out kind of service.

This says 75 thousand kilometres.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au...20Schedule.pdf

This says severe 40, normal 90.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au...20schedule.pdf

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It seems like after extended highway speeds the rpm will start jumping and falling from 2k to 3k and back again. It does the continually until it just randomly will just stop but seems to stop when I get off the highway. Sometimes it only does it after long highway drives and sometimes it does it after a minute on the highway. Any ideas. Fluid doesn’t look too dark and doesn’t smell burnt. Should I take it to the dealer and try to let my extended warranty play with it or should I change the fluid and filter first?
    Doing it after extended highway drives at highway speed makes me wonder if the fluid is overheating and failing. If it's never had a fluid/filters change I'd give it a try. My Nissan Versa has the same transmission as the Mirage and is coming up on 30K miles so I'm currently getting the supplies together for a fluid/filters change.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Versa View Post
    Doing it after extended highway drives at highway speed makes me wonder if the fluid is overheating and failing. If it's never had a fluid/filters change I'd give it a try. My Nissan Versa has the same transmission as the Mirage and is coming up on 30K miles so I'm currently getting the supplies together for a fluid/filters change.
    The big difference between the cooling is the Versa has a coolant and oil stack type combo cooler where the Mirage only has a coolant stack cooler. Is the Nissan cooler a plug and play for the Mirage transmission? Fummins might know the answer to this one.

Nissan
    Name:  QC001_KZHRQ_Y1_-1.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  45.0 KB

Mirage
    Name:  354827_01.jpeg
Views: 574
Size:  28.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)