Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Engine rattle between 2k - 2.5k rpm

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,711
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 137 Times in 94 Posts

    Engine rattle between 2k - 2.5k rpm

    Iíll see how best I can record and upload a the sound. It happens at the same rpm range in any gear.

    Note that this isnít the same rattling that happens in high gear between 3-4K rpm which has happened since new and reported by others in this forum as well.

    I have confirmed itís not suspension parts or transmission/drivetrain.

    I wonder if itís related to the timing chain, or vvt.

    I believe Iím at about 110k miles.



  2. #2
    Senior Member Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Shed
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    6,000
    Thanks
    2,515
    Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Does it rattle at idle or under light load? Hhttps://youtube.com/shorts/Io9r5PRbIFw?feature=shareow do the rod bearings taste?
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-04-2021 at 05:36 PM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4,997
    Thanks
    244
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Iíll see how best I can record and upload a the sound. It happens at the same rpm range in any gear.

    Note that this isnít the same rattling that happens in high gear between 3-4K rpm which has happened since new and reported by others in this forum as well.

    I have confirmed itís not suspension parts or transmission/drivetrain.

    I wonder if itís related to the timing chain, or vvt.

    I believe Iím at about 110k miles.
    Heat shield on the exhaust maybe?

    Every older vehicle I've owned had to have them pulled off eventually. Just another guess.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Shed
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    6,000
    Thanks
    2,515
    Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,973 Posts
    I should have suggested airbox and snorkel first. But I just assumed everyone that's been on the forum since 2014 woulda known about that by now. Maybe not.

    My previous 2014 was pretty knocky under light load. I drove it like that for over a year before finally getting a free no questions asked replacement engine @ 50k kms.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)


  5. #5
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,939
    Thanks
    1,119
    Thanked 1,649 Times in 1,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I should have suggested airbox and snorkel first.
    That's the first thing I'd look at, too.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,243
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked 783 Times in 446 Posts
    You might be able to record the sound with a smart phone and add the file to a post?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,711
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 137 Times in 94 Posts
    I replaced the airbox screws with the foam less than a year ago. They should be good. Plus this sound is seriously metal-to-metal

    My new phone is arriving (hopefully) tonight. I'll try to record this week/weekend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I should have suggested airbox and snorkel first. But I just assumed everyone that's been on the forum since 2014 woulda known about that by now. Maybe not.

    My previous 2014 was pretty knocky under light load. I drove it like that for over a year before finally getting a free no questions asked replacement engine @ 50k kms.
    That I fixed with using 89 octane gas. Premium definitely makes it sound more quiet, but I'm not fixing to do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Heat shield on the exhaust maybe?

    Every older vehicle I've owned had to have them pulled off eventually. Just another guess.
    Will check those out next time i'm down under.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Does it rattle at idle or under light load? Hhttps://youtube.com/shorts/Io9r5PRbIFw?feature=shareow do the rod bearings taste?
    video is private. afraid to think, but rod bearings are my current thoughts. I thought I heard a hint of the rattle on idle + AC, but I would count 2-2.5k 'light load'.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    439
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 306 Times in 154 Posts
    Could also be worn rubber exhaust hangers.


    Check out my latest project........

    Mullet's Skoolie Build

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

    inuvik (11-14-2021)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •