Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irritating unusual sounds

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Irritating unusual sounds

A mirage user sent me this video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W0r...ew?usp=sharing

I tested on my 2016 unit and….. lo and behold… I have the same issue..

Aside from that, I also get this irritating knock sound when turning the steering wheel while on full stop:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...certain-degree

It happens intermittently when driving. And only does it when turning left. Doing a full left turn or a u- turn doesn’t make a sound. It’s so frustrating!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    No worry, nothing broken! That noise definitely comes from the steering gear. It is a rack and pinion typ. There is a round piece pushing the rack onto the pinion. It generates some friction when the wheel is turned, and so acts as a damper. It is factory-adjusted very hard, and exactly this is what causes the steering to not self-centre very much. This round piece is slightly smaller in diameter than the "hole" it is in, and turning the wheel makes it move sideways a little bit in its recess-hole and make that "klunk" sound.
    There is an adjustment method for this, and it affects the tightness of the steering. It is a crown headed bolt, and is secured by a four-sided nut. According to the FSM you should leave it alone!
    For making the steering easier, I re-adjusted it. If it is too tight, the steering "sticks", but when it is too loose the steering rattles when driving on a not smooth road. It is a PITA to access it. I made myself a tool for that, but still a PITA to do any adjustment. The best adjustment on mine is about 3/4 a turn looser than factory adjustment.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hello foama!

I appreciate the reply. And what a relief!

So there are 2 kinds of noises in my steering.. first is this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W0r...ew?usp=sharing

And second one is this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jf6...CgF0Z1Ghz/view

Could you confirm if the 2nd video needs fixing? These has been driving me crazy for a while now

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Confirmed. Don't worry.
    There is a thread about the "sticking" non self-centering steering and what can be done about it. It is a bit difficult to read because of plenty of off-topic and nonsensical posts, but worth reading for understanding. You could look at this post, particularly number 26 and 73, and work through that thread for understanding. Disregard the posts about the electric drive, because it can not be improved. You could also check that the rack is lubricated on both ends. Regular NLG2 lithium-based grease is ok.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ntering)/page3
    Last edited by foama; 11-05-2021 at 07:58 AM.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    thank you! Will definitely check that

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I've read through the link you sent.. I think the issue being described there is that the steering is not self-centering..

May I politely ask if you can take a second look at this video please (with the volume turned up ) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jf6...CgF0Z1Ghz/view

Notice the "clicks" whenever I turn it to the left. It is louder while the car is stopped. And just a tiny click when the car is already in motion.

Whenever I drive, I can feel the slight "click/tok" noise when turning to the left. Doing full turns to the left doesn't give a click noise. I can feel the slight click coming from inside the plastic cover just below the steering wheel.

I asked a mechanic regarding this just a few hours ago. He said it's "normal" and it's the EPS doing it's job..

But I'd like to know other owner's opinion regarding this.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    @ soulhound:
    Yes, the issue of that thread was self-centering. I bought a used steering gear for examining the issue, which lead to various findings. That Noise is positively the little die-cast piece moving in its recess. You video records it exactly. It has nothing to do with the electric servo (EPS) of the steering.
    You can try to get the sound with the stationary car, key inserted, but ignition off. There is no EPS function in that case, just as if the starter battery were disconnected. Then turn the steering and you will hear the "klunk". You could also have one person touching the steering gear and another turning the wheel, also with ignition off. You will see for yourself.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    @foama:

Ahh, I see. To be honest, that's my only issue with my unit.

"little die-cast piece moving in its recess" -- Does it mean it's broken? If it is, is there a fix to it aside from having the whole steering column replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    @ soulhound:
    Yes, the issue of that thread was self-centering. I bought a used steering gear for examining the issue, which lead to various findings. That Noise is positively the little die-cast piece moving in its recess. You video records it exactly. It has nothing to do with the electric servo (EPS) of the steering.
    You can try to get the sound with the stationary car, key inserted, but ignition off. There is no EPS function in that case, just as if the starter battery were disconnected. Then turn the steering and you will hear the "klunk". You could also have one person touching the steering gear and another turning the wheel, also with ignition off. You will see for yourself.
    Are you saying you need the key in the ignition to turn your steering wheel? Mirages over hear don't even have a steering wheel lock of any kind. Someone could hop in and push it away.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Are you saying you need the key in the ignition to turn your steering wheel? Mirages over hear don't even have a steering wheel lock of any kind. Someone could hop in and push it away.
    Yup! Mandated by law in all of Europe.
    Because you asked, the reason behind is, some ass without a drivers license could steel the car and run over somebody else. Doing something to get people getting endangered is unconstitutional in these parts.
    It is considered a human right not to be endangered by others or any disease or medical disorder. A defective steering lock and you flunk the regular safety inspection and the car is impounded, because when stolen it will endanger others. Therefore the functioning steering lock is mandatory, just as healthcare for everybody is mandatory, and thats also why weapons of all sorts are strictly forbidden for the general public. Without the stolen car a thief can't run over others, and without a weapon an ass can't go on a shooting spree. Its that simple.

Last edited by foama; 11-05-2021 at 05:41 PM.