Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irritating unusual sounds

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soulhound View Post
    @foama:

Ahh, I see. To be honest, that's my only issue with my unit.

"little die-cast piece moving in its recess" -- Does it mean it's broken? If it is, is there a fix to it aside from having the whole steering column replaced?
    1) It is not in the steering column. It is pushing on the pinion behind the rack of the steering gear, being an integral part of it, and the steering gear assembly is mounted on the front axle body.
    2) That piece is not broken, it is just a bit smaller than the recess it was put in. No need to replace anything. It is a bit smaller in diameter than the recess because it is made of softer metal that tends to slightly mushroom on the edges.

Last edited by foama; 11-05-2021 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Yup! Mandated by law in all of Europe.
    Because you asked, the reason behind is, some ass without a drivers license could steel the car and run over somebody else. Doing something to get people getting endangered is unconstitutional in these parts.
    It is considered a human right not to be endangered by others or any disease or medical disorder. A defective steering lock and you flunk the regular safety inspection and the car is impounded, because when stolen it will endanger others. Therefore the functioning steering lock is mandatory, just as healthcare for everybody is mandatory, and thats also why weapons of all sorts are strictly forbidden for the general public. Without the stolen car a thief can't run over others, and without a weapon an ass can't go on a shooting spree. Its that simple.
    Good for you, sounds like rainbows and unicorns.
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-05-2021 at 06:25 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Yup! Mandated by law in all of Europe.
    Therefore the functioning steering lock is mandatory, just as healthcare for everybody is mandatory, and thats also why weapons of all sorts are strictly forbidden for the general public. Without the stolen car a thief can't run over others, and without a weapon an ass can't go on a shooting spree. Its that simple.
    Sounds like a dreadful place to live. Thank God I don't live there. That's all I got to say! I'll take my freedom over your mandates any day!

Do you really believe steering wheel locks were made to prevent people from getting ran over? How many people were hit by stolen cars without them?

If you can't steer the car, isn't it just harder to steal? I think people would be less safe with stolen cars with steering locks, because you can't steer to avoid them!!!!!

I'm sorry, but I just find this all very silly!

Having said that, I don't remember ever owning a vehicle without a steering lock until my 2017 Mirage.
    Last edited by Mark; 11-06-2021 at 04:02 AM.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    1) It is not in the steering column. It is pushing on the pinion behind the rack of the steering gear, being an integral part of it, and the steering gear assembly is mounted on the front axle body.
    2) That piece is not broken, it is just a bit smaller than the recess it was put in. No need to replace anything. It is a bit smaller in diameter than the recess because it is made of softer metal that tends to slightly mushroom on the edges.
    good to know! thank you for the insight! really great help