Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car throwing engine fault codes.... p0102 (Solved: new MAF sensor)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Car throwing engine fault codes.... p0102 (Solved: new MAF sensor)

On the way home yesterday my 2015 Mirage started acting as if the cvt was slipping then the idiot light for p0102 (Maf sensor) would light, that I could clear with my Scan Gauge. The other 2 fault lights were for the ASC (traction control?) one showing a fault, the other warning it is 'off'...those 2 didn't show a code that my Scan Gauge could detect.

The car got me home but the engine was running progressively worse, to the point where I couldn't drive it, the cvt was also not working properly, wouldn't shift up.

I pulled the driver's side kick panel as those (5?)plugs that are prone to corrosion reside there and I cleaned them thoroughly, (twice) with Deoxit5/contact cleaner... dielectric grease,and compressed air.I looked at the Maf but didn't have the proper cleaner/solvent so left it alone.The Maf's aren't cheap btw...$199 Cdn at Crappy Tire....

No improvement so I slept on it...

This morning I called the dealer and made an appointment, priced a tow truck as I couldn't drive it in its present condition 69 km away. It must've overhead my conversations because when I went out to move it for the tow it ran like brand new!
    All the way into town & back 20 Km with out a hiccup, the little bugger....I'm gonna look into corrosion proofing/eliminating those plugs, I think Fummins has moved some of these up higher from the floor on some cars and eliminated them entirely on others.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    On the way home yesterday my 2015 Mirage started acting as if the cvt was slipping then the idiot light for p0102 (Maf sensor) would light, that I could clear with my Scan Gauge. The other 2 fault lights were for the ASC (traction control?) one showing a fault, the other warning it is 'off'...those 2 didn't show a code that my Scan Gauge could detect.

The car got me home but the engine was running progressively worse, to the point where I couldn't drive it, the cvt was also not working properly, wouldn't shift up.

I pulled the driver's side kick panel as those (5?)plugs that are prone to corrosion reside there and I cleaned them thoroughly, (twice) with Deoxit5/contact cleaner... dielectric grease,and compressed air.I looked at the Maf but didn't have the proper cleaner/solvent so left it alone.The Maf's aren't cheap btw...$199 Cdn at Crappy Tire....

No improvement so I slept on it...

This morning I called the dealer and made an appointment, priced a tow truck as I couldn't drive it in its present condition 69 km away. It must've overhead my conversations because when I went out to move it for the tow it ran like brand new!
    All the way into town & back 20 Km with out a hiccup, the little bugger....I'm gonna look into corrosion proofing/eliminating those plugs, I think Fummins has moved some of these up higher from the floor on some cars and eliminated them entirely on others.
    Yeah the lowest connector behind the kick panel got relocated or cut out completely and the wires all soldered together on most of the work cars. I don't think the maf wires run through there though? Maybe. One other place to check(if you're into that kinda thing) is the wiring harness on the engine. I'm pretty sure I had one car that a pinched or broken wire to the maf not far from the sensor connector itself. The harness seem to be zip tied to tight and don't have enough tap on the harness so the zip ties cut through the wires.

The quick and easy thing to try would be fire it up and start wiggling the wiring harness from the maf to the main harness and keep going back towards the battery a little ways. If it stumbles you found the break.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showthread.php/9207-P0107

For the 2015 Mirage below, I can't remember if the abs codes were related or not. I ended up changing the purge vent solenoid (on the drivers side of the cylinder head) cause it kept throwing lean codes and was hard to start after fueling up.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post90483
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-04-2021 at 03:34 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-05-2021),strawboss (11-04-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yah, I might just cut that lowermost harness out altogether. I had the same thought that the maf trouble light was coincidental to the corroded plug issue, I'll check for a broken conductor. I found some CRC maf sensor cleaner at CTC but the directions specifically preclude use on Mitsubishi sensors....sucks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Seems like there was a thread on here where a member found those MAF sensor wires almost broken off at the connector for the MAF sensor. And had really good pictures where he rewired it. I'll see if I can find that thread, and come back in here and link it.

It was MIVEC related, from Cobrajet. Probably not related. But linking all the same.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...control-valve)
    Last edited by 7milesout; 11-04-2021 at 06:51 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

strawboss (11-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Seems like there was a thread on here where a member found those MAF sensor wires almost broken off at the connector for the MAF sensor. And had really good pictures where he rewired it. I'll see if I can find that thread, and come back in here and link it.

Attachment 22360 Attachment 22361

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-05-2021),strawboss (11-04-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This was just posted on a FB mechanics group I belong to...."What does it mean when this light comes on?"Name:  CHECKJENGINELIGHT.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  88.4 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-04-2021)

This was just posted on a FB mechanics group I belong to...."What does it mean when this light comes on?"Name:  CHECKJENGINELIGHT.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  88.4 KB
    It's fine! That looks similar to an astro van I had to tow away one time. A co-workers friends dad tried to change his starter without unhooking the battery first(actually didn't unhook it at all ever). Starter shorted out and the guy got scared and bailed. It burnt to the ground lmao! I'll find a pic
    Found it! Attachment 22363
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-04-2021 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Too much info

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

strawboss (11-04-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's fine! That looks similar to an astro van I had to tow away one time. A co-workers friends dad tried to change his starter without unhooking the battery first(actually didn't unhook it at all ever). Starter shorted out and the guy got scared and bailed. It burnt to the ground lmao! I'll find a pic
    Found it! Attachment 22363
    This looks like my eldest brother's Chevette, he installed a new top terminal battery that was just a 'little' too tall then went on vacay....
    Last edited by strawboss; 11-04-2021 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This looks like my eldest brother's Chevette, he installed a new top terminal battery that was just a 'little' too tall then went on vacay....
    Yeah, GM used the side post batteries for a reason...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

strawboss (11-05-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The same 3 trouble lights came back this morning on the highway, drat. I was pointed towards the dealer anyways so just kept driving....hopefully I get some news by tuesday....