Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas reserve? Is it real, and if so how big is it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Once my gauge has no bars and starts blinking there is usually about a gallon of gas left in the tank. There is also about a half a gallon or so in the filler pipe when you completely refill your tank and I am not sure if this is counted by Mitsubishi as part of the car's fuel capacity or not. I assume it isn't because I have actually filled my tank from dead-empty with more than the 9.2 gallons the manual says the car holds. What does that work out to in 'litres'? No idea...I am not a Communist so I don't use the Metric system.

As a rule for us Yanks, each bar represents approximately a gallon of gas. When none of the eight bars remain you have about a gallon of reserve fuel left in the tank. That is, IF your sender is working properly. I had to replace mine at around 130k miles because the gauge would say I had two bars of fuel left...right as the engine was coughing and sputtering to a stop after running out of fuel.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-06-2021),MetroMPG (11-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "The other way" = the GM way

These posts aren’t making a lot of sense. Only communists use metric? Probably would t go over so well if someone said only inbred pig fukers use standard
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-06-2021 at 06:02 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-08-2021),Cobrajet (11-07-2021),CROSSBOLT (11-24-2021),Wallythacker (06-04-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    When you think of a calculating system that uses a different number for baker's dozen and dozen, you don't want that system being used in say, the operating table. Like doing big math calculations with Roman numerals, vs the simplicity and ease of use arabic numbers 1-9.

If progress is called communism then give me every book Engels wrote, as well as the eastern NY state quaker style communism. I feel a revival of transcendentalism coming on

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    What does that work out to in 'litres'? No idea...I am not a Communist so I don't use the Metric system.
    U.S., Liberia and Myanmar are behind the rest of the world in my opinion.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    U.S., Liberia and Myanmar are behind the rest of the world in my opinion.
    Hahahaha, I read comments like that and think to myself what country landed men on the moon six times, 50 years ago. And which metric country has also done so. LOLOL

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    Hahahaha, I read comments like that and think to myself what country landed men on the moon six times, 50 years ago. And which metric country has also done so. LOLOL
    Well, tbf, the USA was basically the only advanced country to not be completely bombed flat/economically ravaged following WWII, so there was a bit of an advantage there... Also all the German rocket scientists we stole... So...

Also taking a moment to point out that this is now apparently a thread about people being butthurt in slight diffences between measuring units. Also pointing out that the units that the USA (that being, me as an American) are called "Imperial" units, because they come from our benevolent rulers across the pond. Not sure why we cling to them so hard given the "freedom" slant we like to slap on everything.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Well, tbf, the USA was basically the only advanced country to not be completely bombed flat/economically ravaged following WWII, so there was a bit of an advantage there... Also all the German rocket scientists we stole... So...

Also taking a moment to point out that this is now apparently a thread about people being butthurt in slight diffences between measuring units. Also pointing out that the units that the USA (that being, me as an American) are called "Imperial" units, because they come from our benevolent rulers across the pond. Not sure why we cling to them so hard given the "freedom" slant we like to slap on everything.
    Um I come in peace, but you realize NASA used/uses metric, and it was the metric system, in conjunction with the American ingenuity, that got man on the moon. They didn't use imperial on the space program lol

So metric and Americans. And well and that guy with the accent from Germany who built the rockets during the war, who's in those videos of Kennedy strolling about brand new Cape Canaveral..

That's who got man on the moon so many years ago. Just sayin'. For learning fractions nothing beats imperial, and nothing beats an imperial tape measure for jobs around the house.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    My comment was in reference to our use of the metric system & nothing more. In that respect, we have been behind the world. We should have gone metric in the 1970s. It's the accepted measuring system acknowledged throughout most of the world.

My intent was not to twist this into something it's not. I am very aware of our status in the world. Some companies that have a global market decided to go metric decades (not years) ago. Caterpillar comes to mind -

"Caterpillar Tractor Company began to metricate its US plants in 1971, shortly after publication of the US Metric Study—A Metric America: A Decision Whose Time Has Come—that had been commissioned by Congress. As a multinational operation, Caterpillar was convinced that going metric was in its best interest."

Life would be simpler if we had gone metric. My tool box would have half as many sockets & open end wrenches at least. As someone who taught science for 30+ years (even at the middle school level), the metric system is always emphasized & used. Moving decimal points when changing metric units is way easier than teaching fractions. Not saying all students shouldn't know both.

So when it comes to measuring systems, the United States is behind about 50 years. Having said that, putting a man on the moon was an amazing feat. Just watching those former mathematicians use a slide rule (before calculator were popular) during that period was amazing in itself.

If anyone thinks our use of the Imperial system makes us superior (or non-communist), I think they are bit full of themselves.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    These posts aren’t making a lot of sense. Only communists use metric? Probably would t go over so well if someone said only inbred pig fukers use standard
    Does the little smiley face emoji after your sentence indicate a joke? Because I could have sworn I saw one after Cobrajets post, too. Now if you'll excuse me I gotta go watch Dave Chappelle on my pirated Netflix account.