Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas reserve? Is it real, and if so how big is it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the most I've ever pumped into my car was 7.664 (according to my records on here). The fuel tank is a 9 gallon tank. For mine, the gauge starts blinking, usually gives me about roughly under 2 gallons left. I've never driven it dry, ever. But it's good to know that I have right under 2 gallons left once the whole gauge starts blinking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    Was the fillerpiping changed? My 2014 has a simpler assy. It has neither the sausage shaped thing beneath the filler cap, nor the cover "filler neck protector".

No matter if metric or medieval measures, the price of fuel in Europe is around the equivalent of US$10 per gallon.

Btw, I thought the USA, Liberia and North Korea were the last to remain in medieval, didn't know Myanmar was in that club.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Used to get sputtering, spittin', black raging hostile when cars were a mix of metric and SAE fasteners. I had metric tools since my first car and motorcycle were ALL metric. Then got and American car with ALL SAE inch fasteners. Then "they" started the metric shift for some reason and "poof!" Some bolts were American SAE inchers and some were metric. I thought we were done with that when I was a John Deere tech in the 90's but NO! Mix and match even with carriage style bolts! What a nightmare!

I went nuts when some dork in the "they" community wanted to change aviation and sea navigation to metric. I was not the only pilot/sailor who threatened bodily harm if THAT wet dream ever got traction!
    Karl

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Was the fillerpiping changed? My 2014 has a simpler assy. It has neither the sausage shaped thing beneath the filler cap, nor the cover "filler neck protector".

No matter if metric or medieval measures, the price of fuel in Europe is around the equivalent of US$10 per gallon.

Btw, I thought the USA, Liberia and North Korea were the last to remain in medieval, didn't know Myanmar was in that club.
    Not sure, after looking mine is simpler like yours, it has the large pipe going directly to the tank, then a hose a little bit down behind the bodywork that goes up a bit then down and follows the large one into the fuel tank, there's then two hoses that leave from the fuel tank, one from the pump and one from somewhere I can't see, one goes straight to the fuel rail, the other into what I assume is a charcoal canister, the charcoal canister then has one pipe which is a vent and another that connects to the engine midway down on the right hand side, I assume this is some kind of vacuum hose.

I tested the reserve the other night, I drove for 40 kilometers while the entire gauge was flashing, journey was quite up and down so the entire gauge flashing trigger might have been premature, I'll run it dry one day just to see how far it goes.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I'll run it dry one day just to see how far it goes.
    Good luck, and don't forget a reserve canister! You don't want to run out of fuel half way between Ipswich and Toowoomba.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I'll run it dry one day just to see how far it goes.
    Like Kramer!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Like Kramer!
    I wasn't carrying any spare so I was really experiencing that Kramer high.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I wasn't carrying any spare so I was really experiencing that Kramer high.
    Driving back & forth between two gas stations on the same block doesn't count, however!

I filled up on a flashing single bar yesterday. It had been flashing for a few miles. It took about 7.2 gallons to fill up. I think of each bar (there are 8 of them) as being approximately one gallon of gas. When the last bar disappears, I think of it being near a gallon left. Reality is more than that is left, however.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Careful with trickle fill

Per the book when the last segment starts flashing you have 6 litres, when the entire gauge starts flashing you have 3 litres. This assumes you are on level ground, if you try driving up to the hill gas station with 3 litres you may not get there.

As for why you only got 25L in, the bowsers have a tendency to close as soon as they sense gas coming up, but you can put considerably more in if you just trickle it in when it's starting to get full, obviously you don't really want to fill it up to the neck as you may be endangering your gas fume recirculation system.
    I trickle filled until a bit of overflow. No damage happened. However, here was a fuel smell from the interior of the car for a couple of days.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BitMan View Post
    I trickle filled until a bit of overflow. No damage happened. However, here was a fuel smell from the interior of the car for a couple of days.
    Pretty sure the charcoal fume box is in the engine bay so I've been filling to the lip everytime since then, I've never had any smell though.