Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Gas reserve? Is it real, and if so how big is it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I refueled my G4 for the first time right when the last bar blinked. It took 7.5 gallons and I was like "wow! for real? Just Like the 2nd gen Prius!"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sometimes people driving with me freak out when they see the last block start blinking. I tell not to worry, there's still fuel left for several dozen miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I let the last block disappear on Friday. Kept driving, as sweat started to bead on my brow. Pulled into the nearest Petro Canada to fill up. It took 31 liters. So, with no blocks left, and the blinky thing going nuts, I still had 4 liters left.........

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

My previous 14’ used to take about 28l with the last bar blinking. My current 14’ took 31l with one bar left and not blinking. I also stuffed 35l in this car once or twice.

I had a 15’ come in the shop from 40km away the other day. Last bar was blinking. I didn’t get a call to run gas to it so I assume it made it back to where it came from doing 70mph to the gas station they fill up at.
    I don’t think theses “gauges” are dead accurate/consistent from car to car. But aren’t that far off either.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I can’t check on any of that stuff atm, I guess I got a the Rona now…
    Service manual might give an idea how to get it out?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Well, I'm going to add to the thread here, but you guys are just going to bash me. But I'm willing to take it.

I had not topped off the tank of this car before, but I did this past weekend. I had to go "down south" and I was wanting to see if I could make it to my destination and back on one single tank.

So just a couple miles from my house, along the route I stopped and topped it off. It didn't need much gas, but like I said, I wanted it PLUM FULL to have a chance to make it there and back. Upon topping off this tank I added 4.9 gallons. More than I expected. And I will say, it was backing up to the neck, but it would keep running down so I could add more. But I cut it off there because that was $20.00 even and I was needing to go so I wouldn't be late for the graduation.

Aside from the fact that the graduation was delayed to Saturday morning once I got all the way down there, the extra miles to the closest Flea Bag Inn caused me to not make it back all the way. But close.

However, here is where you guys are NOT going to believe me, and I'm probably gonna get bashed. I wanted the mpg calculation to be as accurate as I could make it, so I went to top it off again. However, I was in no hurry. I added, now hold your breath and this is related to the original topic, 10.195 gallons! And it would have taken more. It continued to back up into the neck and then run down. And I was content to keep doing that, until...

At 1 gallon past the rated capacity, I got to worrying that I was filling gas into places that I didn't want it filled. To be honest, that could have happened. So I stopped there at 10.195 gallons. I walked away from the car and looked under to see if any was spilling out on the ground. Nothing. Bone dry under the car. I went back to the pump but couldn't bring myself to keep adding due to my stated concern. Once I left "Wally's Fillin' Station," the car threw no codes, and ran just fine the last 30 or 40 miles home. And still to this morning, no check engine lights, no codes nothing.

So does it have a gas reserve? In my mind no. 9.2 is the capacity of the tank (via CAD 3D modeling calculations). The amount of volume or capacity of the neck is in addition. I don't know how much in addition. Surely not a whole gallon though.

So let's just say, I ran it WAAAAAY LOW. I must have been FEET from running out of gas. 387 miles, 80% of that was 70 mph cruise with the A/C running.

Flame suit on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Well, I'm going to add to the thread here, but you guys are just going to bash me. But I'm willing to take it.

I had not topped off the tank of this car before, but I did this past weekend. I had to go "down south" and I was wanting to see if I could make it to my destination and back on one single tank.

So just a couple miles from my house, along the route I stopped and topped it off. It didn't need much gas, but like I said, I wanted it PLUM FULL to have a chance to make it there and back. Upon topping off this tank I added 4.9 gallons. More than I expected. And I will say, it was backing up to the neck, but it would keep running down so I could add more. But I cut it off there because that was $20.00 even and I was needing to go so I wouldn't be late for the graduation.

Aside from the fact that the graduation was delayed to Saturday morning once I got all the way down there, the extra miles to the closest Flea Bag Inn caused me to not make it back all the way. But close.

However, here is where you guys are NOT going to believe me, and I'm probably gonna get bashed. I wanted the mpg calculation to be as accurate as I could make it, so I went to top it off again. However, I was in no hurry. I added, now hold your breath and this is related to the original topic, 10.195 gallons! And it would have taken more. It continued to back up into the neck and then run down. And I was content to keep doing that, until...

At 1 gallon past the rated capacity, I got to worrying that I was filling gas into places that I didn't want it filled. To be honest, that could have happened. So I stopped there at 10.195 gallons. I walked away from the car and looked under to see if any was spilling out on the ground. Nothing. Bone dry under the car. I went back to the pump but couldn't bring myself to keep adding due to my stated concern. Once I left "Wally's Fillin' Station," the car threw no codes, and ran just fine the last 30 or 40 miles home. And still to this morning, no check engine lights, no codes nothing.

So does it have a gas reserve? In my mind no. 9.2 is the capacity of the tank (via CAD 3D modeling calculations). The amount of volume or capacity of the neck is in addition. I don't know how much in addition. Surely not a whole gallon though.

So let's just say, I ran it WAAAAAY LOW. I must have been FEET from running out of gas. 387 miles, 80% of that was 70 mph cruise with the A/C running.

Flame suit on.
    Maybe the gas pump is rigged in their favor? You pay for 10.195 gallons of gas when you are only getting 9 gallons or something? I joke, but I don't believe they are exact measurements either.

I don't think I have ever done more than 8 gallons at the pump. I filled up last night after all the bars were gone and the entire empty gauge had been flashing for a time. I still didn't get 8 gallons in, but I stopped at the second click off of the gas hose when filling. I always stop at the second click.

I am not a big fan of overfilling or running my tank out completely. If my final bar is flashing, I typically have an upcoming gas station in mind. I only tend to do that on long trips, too. Otherwise, I fill up more frequently.

That's believable. I pumped 9.2 us Gallons(35 liters) into mine once or twice. Either that or the gas pumps are out of whack.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I usually stop at the first click. Except I get 1 whole point for every gallon at RaceTrac. And now I'm OCD about it. If I stop at 7.999 gallons, I get 7 points. If I stop at 8.000 gallons I get 8 points. So if it clicks off over a half gallon, I dribble it in to get that next point.

What good are those points to me? Not much, I'm just OCD. But I do get free coffee. I can't wait until I get enough points for free hookers and blackjack!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Just do what I do, wait til 2 clicks then stop paying attention until gas is pouring down the side of the car and puddling on the ground.

Mirage videos: