Thread: Automatic Belt Tensioner

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Automatic Belt Tensioner

With the cold weather starting to settle in, on particularly brisk mornings my car has started to squeak for a few seconds until it warms up a little bit. My guess is that this is from the serpentine belt slipping ever so slightly while the engine is cold, which then quickly stops once the engine begins to heat and expands, reducing the slack back to normal.

I had a quick look a while ago and seem to remember finding that our cars do no have an automatic (i.e. spring loaded) belt tensioner, but a manual one. I'm too lazy to go and manually tighten the tensioner for what is essentially a non-issue <10 seconds after starting the car, but I would absolutely be down to install an automatic belt tensioner (if such a thing existed and isn't already in place) so that I never have to worry about this ever again.

Can any of our learned forum members comment on this?

It takes 10 seconds to tighten belt.
    it might take slightly longer to design, engineer, mfg and install an automatic belt tensioner.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It takes 10 seconds to tighten belt.
    it might take slightly longer to design, engineer, mfg and install an automatic belt tensioner.
    Fair enough. Just figured I'd ask in case there was some known part number I could just swap in.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just want to put my tensioner idea out there:

Maybe you could put a large washer and a spring on the head of the bolt that is used to adjust the belt tension so that you can have an automatic belt tensioner. Although im not sure this idea would work.

You may also want to put some lubricating compound and/or brass washers on both sides of the lower and upper alternator bolts to allow the alternator to move without loosening the bolts.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    As a reminder we have a Belt Tensioner How To:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-Tension-Howto
    Last edited by foama; 11-07-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    With the cold weather starting to settle in, on particularly brisk mornings my car has started to squeak for a few seconds until it warms up a little bit. My guess is that this is from the serpentine belt slipping ever so slightly while the engine is cold, which then quickly stops once the engine begins to heat and expands, reducing the slack back to normal.

I had a quick look a while ago and seem to remember finding that our cars do no have an automatic (i.e. spring loaded) belt tensioner, but a manual one. I'm too lazy to go and manually tighten the tensioner for what is essentially a non-issue <10 seconds after starting the car, but I would absolutely be down to install an automatic belt tensioner (if such a thing existed and isn't already in place) so that I never have to worry about this ever again.

Can any of our learned forum members comment on this?
    In over 6 years of ownership and almost 120,000 miles I've tightened the belt ONCE right about 100,000 miles. It took less than a minute. It actually took longer to show my son how to tighten the belt then it did to actually tighten the belt. It didn't really need it but it was a opportunity to do a little easy peasy maintenance training for my son.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

foama (11-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    In over 6 years of ownership and almost 120,000 miles I've tightened the belt ONCE right about 100,000 miles. It took less than a minute. It actually took longer to show my son how to tighten the belt then it did to actually tighten the belt. It didn't really need it but it was a opportunity to do a little easy peasy maintenance training for my son.
    Are you still running the original factory belt?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Are you still running the original factory belt?
    Yah, no cracks or any sign of wear. Still on the OEM battery also. Pretty mild down here on the Southern Oregon Coast. Rarely frosts <5 times a winter. High temperatures in the summer are in the upper 60's to low 70's. A 80 degree day here is a heat wave.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-11-2021),Mark (11-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Yah, no cracks or any sign of wear. Still on the OEM battery also. Pretty mild down here on the Southern Oregon Coast. Rarely frosts <5 times a winter. High temperatures in the summer are in the upper 60's to low 70's. A 80 degree day here is a heat wave.
    I moved to the Seattle area after growing up in the east coast rust belt (Pittsburgh, PA). The Pacific Northwest is like paradise for cars in comparison. I had a buddy come out to visit, and he was legitimately amazed at how many old cars were still on the road and looking shiny and new. I will weep salty tears the day I have to take my lovely Mirage back to the salty, gritty, wintery hellscape that is the northeast.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-11-2021)