Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Financed Vehicle at 19k

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Dookaughs - What's your driving motivation for these efforts? Don't misread my questioning. I'm not poopooing your efforts. Respect to you, and more power to ya. I'm just wondering what has triggered you to want to spend all the time and effort.

I say that because I have a myriad of car experiences. Course I have the Mirage. But I also frequently drive a Lexus LS 460L which is / was too quiet really, and a Dodge Ram with a Cummins. The Ram is as loud as a Bradley tank. I love the noise. I like to hear the mechanical noises of a machine. And I find the Mirage more than acceptably quiet. I had to modify the exhaust of my Lexus in order to hear it somewhat. The LS has a V8, and the exhaust sounds great. But before my exhaust mods it was like going to a Celine Dion concert and listening to her sing with a sock stuffed in her mouth. I yanked the sock out of her mouth, the 4.6L V8 in the Lexus sounds awesome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Dookaughs - What's your driving motivation for these efforts?
    As for the car, when i test drove it - i love the turning radius. So then the next thing i ask about - what else would i like? Now I know this here is alsoa place for something called a space star, so how about; i am motivated to make my car's likeness to a spaceship... Haha well that and i plan on owning this car for just about forever. I really don't want to have to spend any more many, many thousands of dollars on an automobile especially within my incomes trajectory. So i want the vehicle to be as pleasant as possible, and to last as long too. If the interior is dead quiet then i can hear anything that needs to be overhauled, maintained, or upgraded without having to listen to road noise, another huge plus. I want the cabin to be psuedo pressurized.

I'm rather interested in layering jute atop of the dampening, but as ive only stripped the trunk and rear seating area, yet to do the same for headliner, driver and passenger seats / carpeting - im still intimidated by things needed to be done just to complete the sound dampening project. Thusly insulation would also be nice especially if i was driving another person.

What is that paraphrased-saying, caviar dreams on a instant ramen budget lol, yeah thats basically my life story, but ive had good results in my past by improving on things that i get into. This vehicle shouldn't be any different. Give it some tlc, make it better - and enjoy the fruit

Its also worth mentioning that i wouldn't hesitate to pay for a custom exhaust if it actually became awkwardly quiet
    Last edited by Dookaughs; 11-19-2021 at 06:34 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Tomorrow:
    Install Crossbar Rack and Spray the Undercarriage with DupliColor Professional Undercoat with Sound Eliminator

Today:Finished dampening and fully reassembling the interior! (no photo's for what would look like a basic interior!)
    Name:  IMG_20211121_163747704[858].jpg
Views: 337
Size:  93.4 KB
    **Those are WeatherTech floor liner up front, and Window Deflectors, I'm tempted to buy the trunk liner.**
    Question: does the Rockford Fosgate Trunk System fit on top of a weathertech trunk liner?
    https://www.mitsubishipartsnow.com/o...314914mz314912
    https://www.weathertech.com/mitsubis...e/cargo-liner/
    Last edited by Dookaughs; 11-22-2021 at 01:54 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  unndercoat.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  97.3 KB

Applied rubberized undercoat to front wheel wells, chassis / undercarriage

BTW, hadn't actually shared the completed front dampening/insulation so here is that tooName:  processed-decbb447-bc63-4900-bfec-69f76ba6b685_6lR2mPND[869].jpg
Views: 320
Size:  93.0 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dookaughs For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-29-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just don't total, or allow to be totaled, that vehicle. You're kind of setting yourself up. Anyone who puts that much effort into a vehicle is bound to run across a drunk driver in short order. Make it last for at least 100 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Just don't total, or allow to be totaled, that vehicle. You're kind of setting yourself up. Anyone who puts that much effort into a vehicle is bound to run across a drunk driver in short order. Make it last for at least 100 years.
    Finished the undercoating yesterday! The process was split into halves, front and then rear. Both times i took the vehicle to the carwash for underspray, but the second time i got cut short and the pressure washed didn't reach the aft half of the vehicle. Regardless I had proceed with the coating, using an abrasive sponge and alcohol for prep work, and even still I faulted by alcohol prepping only one half of the aft section of the vehicle. All in all, I managed to coat most/all of the undercarriage in Duplicolor Sound eliminator rubberized undercoat, including the drum/rim interface that had begun to rust. Given the chance, I'll bring another can-of-undercoat to a location where the car would be on a lift deck for service...

The car is handling really nicely, It's aligned super well, and I'm getting comfortable with its suspension. I'm 6'2 and fit rather comfortably in the seat, even with the rotating adjustment that pitches the seat forward or backward ... I feel the car as less prone to rolling and is leaning more with plenty of applicable steering play coming out of corners

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dookaughs For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When you're done with it, drive it over here to Atlanta and let Dirk and I check it out. My car is still relatively new ... would like to drive them and compare them.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dookaughs (02-08-2024),MetroMPG (12-06-2021)

That would be really interesting, actually.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Was such a great day (snowed early in the week and today the sunny) I drove east to the mountains (30 miles) to visit an art exhibit and theater. I got killer MPG on the way back, and check out the car - look at that stance! Name:  IMG_20211212_213028771[883].jpg
Views: 268
Size:  69.2 KBName:  IMG_20211212_164958411[884].jpg
Views: 260
Size:  86.0 KB

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dookaughs For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-13-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The best way to get rid of smoke odors is Chlorine Dioxide. Here's a 3 minute video. Friends of mine who are carpet cleaners use this to get rid of smoke odors in homes.

You don't need the pump in the video. Any fish tank pump or something along those lines will work just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBtoBa4dld8

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny F For This Useful Post:

Dookaughs (01-11-2022)