Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Financed Vehicle at 19k

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dookaughs View Post
    Hello!

I've just came into the possession of a 2018 SE with only 19,000 miles!

I always let it heat up before I drive, and idle it so the oil falls to the pan before shutting it off.
    "Two minutes spent idling is equivalent to one mile of driving. Idling your car for 10 seconds wastes more fuel than restarting it. Today's vehicles need no more than 30 seconds to warm up in cold weather. Excessive idling can damage cylinders, spark plugs, and exhaust systems."

taken from - https://www.aacog.com/611/Be-Air-Awa...aust%20systems.

Today's modern cars don't need more than 30 seconds of warm up time. Driving slowly for a few minutes is better for your engine than letting it sit idling. I never heard of idling before you park before.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/artic...in-the-winter/

I make an effort to turn off my car for longer stops these days. If I waiting for a train to pass for example, I will turn off my car. I don't need an "auto stop & go" feature to do something like that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    "Two minutes spent idling is equivalent to one mile of driving. Idling your car for 10 seconds wastes more fuel than restarting it. Today's vehicles need no more than 30 seconds to warm up in cold weather. Excessive idling can damage cylinders, spark plugs, and exhaust systems."

Today's modern cars don't need more than 30 seconds of warm up time. Driving slowly for a few minutes is better for your engine than letting it sit idling. I never heard of idling before you park before.

I make an effort to turn off my car for longer stops these days. If I waiting for a train to pass for example, I will turn off my car. I don't need an "auto stop & go" feature to do something like that.
    If I'm in a drive thru line I shut mine off all the time while I sit and restart when it's time to move and then shut it off again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I can't stand pulling out in front of people, so I can pull out with noone closing in right behind me ... so I can take my time.

I hear ya, I try to use Cruise Control the whole time "shout out to the automatic cvt folks!" From a dead stop I ease my way up to 25mph then turn on the CC then let it accelerate at its own pace.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I get the fuel saving aspect of the Stop/Start systems but I'm still skeptical of the potential wear induced on the individual engine components. An extra tank of gas every 50K miles is way cheaper than needing to replace any engine components.

Eh.

And idling for a minute after parking is a way to try and avoid heat soak. I think it's more important on heavy-duty/turbo'ed vehicles where driving hard and then turning things completely off (stopping coolant flow) can cause individual components to overheat. I really don't think it's something we need to do on our Mirages, though :P

I hear ya, I try to use Cruise Control the whole time "shout out to the automatic cvt folks!" From a dead stop I ease my way up to 25mph then turn on the CC then let it accelerate at its own pace.
    Amen, brother!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Today's vehicles need no more than 30 seconds to warm up in cold weather.
    I'm not considering 30 seconds as being enough time to warm up 3.2 Quarts of oil.

Here it is! I've got projects coming up for it too!
    Name:  IMG_20211113_065928057[845].jpg
Views: 285
Size:  92.6 KB
    Tomorrow I'll pick up an O'reilly order plus receive a couple of packages from Amazon. Because for the following three weekends will be spent:
    1. Clearing residue from stripping a passenger window tint and installing WeatherTech window deflectors
    2. Interior insulation/dampening (Butyl sheets, automotive trim removal kit, Seam roller, WeatherTech Floor Mats)
    3. Exterior undercoating / rust prevention (Jack Stands, wheel chocks, Duplicolor Undercoating, Fluid Film penetrant & lubricant, scuff pads, masking tape)

I will still install the negative ion generating device, so I've got a toggle switch and wire crimpers/strippers, fust tap, and wire length to pick up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I'm not considering 30 seconds as being enough time to warm up 3.2 Quarts of oil.
    When a car is idling, engine parts are still moving. Driving it slowly will warm up the oil faster than idling it. I see no need to let a car idle to warm up, & I live where it gets -20F or colder at times. I see value in using an engine block heater on colder days, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A trim removal kit is arriving today, in the meantime I'll work on the trunk space
    Name:  100_0520.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  93.6 KB

WeatherTech Window deflectors arrived today, so i'll share those images later today.

I also found a couple of deals *private sellers* for crossbar roof rack and bike rack ($180 total) although the roof rack is for a Outlander, I've been assuming it'll still install correctly for mirage?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dookaughs; 11-15-2021 at 08:27 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dookaughs For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    No, it won't fit because the Mirage is not as wide unless the bars have a width adjustment on them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Dookaughs (11-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  100_0522.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  87.1 KB

Steadily stripping out the rear interior for dampening!
    I see that @Scratchpaddy has gone as far as to even add insulation via sheets of jute! That maybe a project to take on next year...
    Anyways, tomorrow I may be able to have time to apply more foil-topped-butyl to the sheet metal within the trunk, as today I removed some of the trunk's panels.

Ideally I'll finish the trunk and rear seating area this week, and go into the driver and passenger area over the weekend.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dookaughs For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  100_0529.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  93.5 KB

Got half of the trunk started... will also layer non foiled 4mm atop of the f.irst layer here, and I'm applying fluid film to the exposed slits in the sheet metal