Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Financed Vehicle at 19k

Country
    United States
    Thanks

First Financed Vehicle at 19k

Hello!

I've just came into the possession of a 2018 SE with only 19,000 miles!

I always let it heat up before I drive, and idle it so the oil falls to the pan before shutting it off.

I'm working on one issue currently, this car was owned by a smoker. I've used a natural bristle brush to dust off a lot of the settled smoke from the cloth, and am preparing to take the next step by installing a negative ionic generator . I am looking at a reference diagram of the fuse box and I thought that traditionally folks install these sort of peripheral device through the Cigar Lighter / Fuse #2. There is also the Option / Fuse #18.

Do you know what takes usage from that #18?

Anyways, I've just moved to Salt Lake City, and bought this vehicle to get to and from work in case of snow (I had been a 100% bicycle commuter for about eight years). My previous car was an NA MX-5. If anyone is in the area, I'd be interested in dropping by an autocross course to get this 19,000 mile chassis into a proper stance! I want to enter and exit corners within the most optimal trajectory for the wheel base, albeit slow!

Last edited by Dookaughs; 11-05-2021 at 08:30 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dookaughs View Post
    Hello!

I've just came into the possession of a 2018 SE with only 19,000 miles!

I always let it heat up before I drive, and idle it so the oil falls to the pan before shutting it off.

I'm working on one issue currently, this car was owned by a smoker. I've used a natural bristle brush to dust off a lot of the settled smoke from the cloth, and am preparing to take the next step by installing a negative ionic generator . I am looking at a reference diagram of the fuse box and I thought that traditionally folks install these sort of peripheral device through the Cigar Lighter / Fuse #2. There is also the Option / Fuse #18.

Do you know what takes usage from that #18?

Anyways, I've just moved to Salt Lake City, and bought this vehicle to get to and from work in case of snow (I had been a 100% bicycle commuter for about eight years). My previous car was an NA MX-5. If anyone is in the area, I'd be interested in dropping by an autocross course to get this 19,000 mile chassis into a proper stance! I want to enter and exit corners within the most optimal trajectory for the wheel base, albeit slow!
    Sorry, I can't comment on the fusebox, but I just wanted to give you a HUGE warning on that ionizer.

Pretty much all of those ionizers work by producing ozone, which is extremely destructive to the plastics that are used in vehicles, as well as your lungs. It can easily kill you if allowed to fill an enclosed space (such as a vehicle). There are a handful off applications that can benefit immensely from using ozone to sterilize things, but it's a bit too dangerous/destructive for most consumer uses.

I encourage you to just have at the fabrics in the car with a carpet cleaner or a hose/pressure washer/shop vac combo. It's actually pretty easy to pop out the seats in the Mirage and at that point you have easy access to pretty much everything soft in the car.

Welcome !!

I was so glad to read that the "19k" in the thread title referred to the miles on the car, and not the financed purchase price.

FYI, there are more than a couple of members here with Miatas/MX-5's. I just parked my craptacular '90 Miata for the winter a couple of days ago and put my Mirage on the road.

I tend to bike a lot as well - most of my local trips.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

PS: if you remove the seats, disconnect the battery first. Otherwise you may trigger the airbag/SRS fault light (resettable at the dealership) because of the seat-mounted side airbags.

PPS: make a garage entry! Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome !!

I was so glad to read that the "19k" in the thread title referred to the miles on the car
    It's got Mitsubishi Diamond Care Vehicle Service Contract until 2028

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Welcome and congrats. Now for a few different perspectives.

I never let mine warm up. I want the wheels to be spinning at all times with the engine is spinning. Doesn't happen, but I try.

And when I arrive at my destination I shut it off ASAP. That oil is gonna get to the oil pan regardless.

As for the smoker smell, there's some Febreeze crap that is for auto. I can't remember if it says its for smoker vehicles or not. But it did a really great job of de-smokerizing the Camry I got from my parents. But also, everything had a sort of weird feeling to the touch on the inside. Kind of like sticky, but then slick once a hand or finger was gliding across. I figure it was whatever smoke residue. So I sloppy washed down everything. I used a sloppy wet and soapy rag to break it all loose. Made a big sloppy mess. But quickly went back with big huge beach towels and dried it all up. Made huge difference. The plastics all felt like new again. Then febreezed all the fabric. Febreeze the headliner. I'm convinced that's where most of the stank was.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You could replace the headliner, and put in a new centre console in your Mirage, Dookaughs.
    Last edited by dspace9; 11-06-2021 at 05:55 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Welcome aboard!

The two things I have found which work best for 'smoker smell' are: time and fresh air.

Put some VentShades on the car, keep the windows cracked at all times so the smell can exit, and it should be gone in a few weeks or a few months.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I never let mine warm up. I want the wheels to be spinning at all times with the engine is spinning. Doesn't happen, but I try.
    Same.

Though I also drive the car VERY gently until it starts to warm up.

I also generally use the block heater, if the car has one. (Current one does.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Same.

Though I also drive the car VERY gently until it starts to warm up.
    Yeah, granted, I do the same. I have about a third of a mile of slow steady neighborhood driving before I hit the dragstrip. Or at least it seems like a dragstrip. I can't stand pulling out in front of people, so I wait long exorbitant amounts of times when necessary so I can pull out with noone closing in right behind me ... so I can take my time. However, it only takes a few seconds for someone to come along out of nowhere at 15 mph over the speed limit and be giving me an auto enema.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)