Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2021 Mirage with 14" wheels. What tires besides 165/65/14 fit stock wheels without is

In the Canadia mirages I've driven, the speedo's read faster than reality meanwhile a scan tool reads the correct speed. So our speedo's are inacurate. I've never actually tested the odometer accuracy. It's close enough for me. Running the 175's brings my speedometer closer to reality but not close enough to be correct. I assume this is mainly an issue with the canada mirages. And those bizarre places where it's mandatory to only sell cars with the don't read the correct speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Yeah, once my Falkens wear out, it's back to $40 175 Barums for me.
    Barums are still listed as "discontinued product" @ DT. Not many tires are $40 any more. Barums are even listed @ $48. Not sure why they list a discontinued product, however?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-23-2021)

So now instead of Dirk constantly worrying about what to do when his cvt blow's up he'll now spend all that free time worrying about where to get those barum tires?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    So now instead of Dirk constantly worrying about what to do when his cvt blow's up he'll now spend all that free time worrying about where to get those barum tires?
    Exactly!

My point is cheap $38 tires are hard to find these days. Even cheap Westlake tires start at $50+.

Some went with 175/65r14 tires because more cheap options existed. I would only buy 175/65r14 tires because you want them these days. It may allow you to buy a certain tire or brand you like, but more 165/65r14 options have appeared in recent years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Exactly!

My point is cheap $38 tires are hard to find these days. Even cheap Westlake tires start at $50+.

Some went with 175/65r14 tires because more cheap options existed. I would only buy 175/65r14 tires because you want them these days. It may allow you to buy a certain tire or brand you like, but more 165/65r14 options have appeared in recent years.
    What's the cheapest 165 I can get that doesn't involve a Walmart installation. The Walmarts here are always a nut house, and their tire centers are not staffed great.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What's the cheapest 165 I can get that doesn't involve a Walmart installation. The Walmarts here are always a nut house, and their tire centers are not staffed great.
    I don't really know all your options?

Discount Tire has the 165/65r14 Kumho Solus TA31 tire (60,000 mile warranty) for $68. That's currently less than the Walmart price for the same tire. I don't know what they charge for installation? I don't live near one.

Tire prices can vary daily. My local tire shop said they could only honor a quote for 3 days this past summer. Another shop said there was a huge shortage of tires (like other stuff). I had a pair of tires put on my driver's education car a few weeks ago. The local mechanic was cheaper than Walmart for everything (tires/mounted/balanced/installed). Those were Cooper Evolution Tour tires for a Chevy Impala.

I wouldn't worry about it until the time comes, because things are in flux. Something better may come along by then, too!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't really know all your options?

Discount Tire has the 165/65r14 Kumho Solus TA31 tire (60,000 mile warranty) for $68. That's currently less than the Walmart price for the same tire. I don't know what they charge for installation? I don't live near one.

Tire prices can vary daily. My local tire shop said they could only honor a quote for 3 days this past summer. Another shop said there was a huge shortage of tires (like other stuff). I had a pair of tires put on my driver's education car a few weeks ago. The local mechanic was cheaper than Walmart for everything (tires/mounted/balanced/installed). Those were Cooper Evolution Tour tires for a Chevy Impala.

I wouldn't worry about it until the time comes, because things are in flux. Something better may come along by then, too!
    Great recommendation Mark. I'll remember that brand when the time calls.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought Solar 4XS Plus 175/65R14 from Walmart 2 years ago and like them.