Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Mirage with 14" wheels. What tires besides 165/65/14 fit stock wheels without is

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Tires-easy.com is offering a 165/65r14 Continental ProContact TX (540AB/65,000 miles) for $112.40/tire. This is an offering I haven't seen in some time. A little more money, but may be an excellent tire.
    That is interesting news. The ProContact TX ought to be a good quality option from a company with a good reputation. Hopefully it’s worth the premium price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That is interesting news. The ProContact TX ought to be a good quality option from a company with a good reputation. Hopefully it’s worth the premium price.
    I've been encouraged by more 165/65r14 offerings in recent years. Not sure what happened to the Federal SS657 tires, because they were a good value @ $40-50/tire?

I do like seeing a tire like the Continental ProContact TX appear on the scene, but I would still consider price. A 500AA/60,000 mile warranty Kumho tire ($62.80 @ Walmart) is much cheaper than the Continental ($112.40 @ tires-easy.com) with a 540AB rating & 65,000 mile warranty.

If I buy Walmart tire, I know mounting is free, lifetime balancing is $14/tire ($12 for one time balance), and they only charge $1.50/tire for disposal of old tires. Maybe other Walmarts are different? It's easy to find out & check.

As far as the original posts goes, having two sets of wheels makes shopping easier. If you have local tire shop that doesn't mind mounting/balancing a set of new tires on rims for reasonable price, you can buy your tires from most anywhere. My local tires guys only charge about $10/tire if you pay cash, but that may not be the case elsewhere. I just drop of the old tires/rims & new tires, & I pick them up later or the next day.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    How is that helpful to someone? I've never seen a 165/65r14 Achilles tire offered in the United States. Buying 13" tires on Amazon isn't offering much help to someone asking about tires.

Kumho has a decent reputation for mid-grade tires. I am very pleased with the pair of Nexen N'Priz AH5 tires, but the Kumho seem like a better to deal to me.

Tires-easy.com is offering a 165/65r14 Continental ProContact TX (540AB/65,000 miles) for $112.40/tire. This is an offering I haven't seen in some time. A little more money, but may be an excellent tire. Overall, tire prices are higher than normal.

If you have a Walmart with a service center nearby, I would start there to compare.

I am getting a new pair of Cooper Evolution Tour mounted on the front on my 2015 Impala (driver's education car) next week & an alignment done. My local small town mechanic's price (tires/mounted/balanced/installed) was cheaper than Walmart & Tire Rack. Thus, I don't rule out local tire guys.

A local discount chain offers "buy 3 tires get one free", but they come with all their extra installation charges. I got the same exact tires installed for $60 less overall from my local tire shop a few years back. I look at the overall cost.
    https://simpletire.com/tire-sizes/165-65r14

Just an example of one vendor near me that handles Achilles brand...
    Karl

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    They fit both my Mirages and I put on cheap 175 65 r14 Barums Brillantis2 at $37 a tire. No tire rub, only a slight mpg hit, and they fill the tire well nicely with only a small gap.
    Some of that mpg hit is probably because of the speedometers inaccuracy with your oversized tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post

165/65r14 Achilles tires don't appear for me when I search simpletire.com.

Please share the name of the tire you are talking about?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post

Does Simpletire have any Achilles brand in 165-65R14? I didn't see any Achilles choices from your link. Maybe you have a direct link to a Achilles 165-65R14 size tire?

Ha! Mark beat me to it.

Hey CROSSBOLT don't feel bad. Mark has made a point of knowing all the tire options for the Mirage and has been studying this for years. Mark knows his tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Mark (11-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    They fit both my Mirages and I put on cheap 175 65 r14 Barums Brillantis2 at $37 a tire. No tire rub, only a slight mpg hit, and they fill the tire well nicely with only a small gap.
    Have you tried buying them recently? I still see them for that price, but they are listed as discontinued.

Best 175/65r14 Discount Tire deals I see are some of the Falken & Cooper tires in the $70-80 range. I would pass on some of the cheaper less known brands they list.

Once again, the 165/65r14 Kumho Solus TA31 (500AA/60,000 miles warranty) is listed for $63 @ Discount Tire. Unless someone knows something specifically bad about this particular tire, I think it's worth considering. I have a brand new pair that are going on my rear axle in a couple weeks or so. My Nokian Nordman 7 will go back on the front for another winter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Does Simpletire have any Achilles brand in 165-65R14? I didn't see any Achilles choices from your link. Maybe you have a direct link to a Achilles 165-65R14 size tire?

Ha! Mark beat me to it.

Hey CROSSBOLT don't feel bad. Mark has made a point of knowing all the tire options for the Mirage and has been studying this for years. Mark knows his tires.
    I do try to keep track of 165/65r14 options for myself & members. I am not a tire expert. I prefer narrow tires for the winter months. There's nothing wrong with using 175/65r14 tires (23") as a plan B, & some may prefer them over 165/65r14 tires (22.4"). The 175/65r14 size surely gives one more tire options to pick from.

I couldn't find a 165/65r14 tire on the Achilles website, but they list things sort of out of order.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As I recall, I had a time finding Achilles in a particular size, namely that 13" that the Suzuki Burgman guys were using. See, I wanted a car tire for my scooter's rear wheel so I would not be changing tires every 3500 to 6000 miles. Does not help here except one has to be determined!
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is from the Achilles website and does not include 165//R14 in any ratio. 175 is the smallest cross section.

https://www.achillestiresusa.com/tires/passenger/122

Going back up this thread, the 175/60R14 has been determined to fit. Mark, you may claim not to be a tire expert but you are at least a FIT expert! This Mirage seems to be designed around a tire size that is "uncommon." Sorta like the Smart car but not as bad. We had one of those "cute" cars because my wife wanted one. I found out how miserable that darn thing was! Continental was the only tire brand that had the odd sizes to fit front and back and not available locally except by special order. Tennessee, what else. If'n it ain't the big three or John Deere, yer out of luck, pumpkin! Har, har!

Last edited by CROSSBOLT; 11-11-2021 at 06:37 PM.
    Karl

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CROSSBOLT For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-11-2021)