Thread: 2021 Mirage with 14" wheels. What tires besides 165/65/14 fit stock wheels without is

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post

Going back up this thread, the 175/60R14 has been determined to fit. Mark, you may claim not to be a tire expert but you are at least a FIT expert!
    This may confuse readers even more, because 175/60r14 tires are more rare than factory size Mirage tires. Walmart carries one tire in that size. These are most common 14" tire sizes that seem to work for members without issue & offer several tire options -

165/65r14 (factory size 14" tires) - Walmart offers 17 options tonight (some may be duplicates, however). These are 22.4" diameter tires.

175/65r14 (14" tires, 23" diameter, only +2.7% variance) - Walmart offers 113 tire options tonight, & this is why some members consider this size. These tires are obviously slightly wider (10mm).

185/60r14 (14" tires, 22.7" diameter, +1.3% variance) - Walmart offers 76 tire options tonight. These are 20mm wider than factory tires.

You seldom hear anyone have issue with any of the three sizes I listed above. According to tire experts, anything within 3% variance is considered an acceptable change. Thus, the three size above are quite safe to consider in my opinion.

Some members with 195+ wide tires have reported tire rubbing issues.

I personally like 165/65r14 tires. For me, it's part of the Mirage's charm. I prefer narrow tires on small FWD cars, especially during the winter months. If I didn't have to deal with snow, I may be more inclined to use the other sizes. For now, I am content with the 165/65r14 tire offerings.

If I don't like my pair of new 165/65r14 Kumho tires, I would be content/happy getting another pair of Nexen N'Priz AH5 tires. I would like to try the 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires offered by Tire Rack some day, too. These may be the best all-weather tire option, but I wouldn't expect them to wear as well as the Kumho or Nexen tires during the summer months.

As far as snow tires go, Nokian Nordman 7 or Dunlop Winter Maxx 2 tires will get the job done. Federal has offered a 165/65r14 snow tire in past, too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (12-30-2021)