Thread: Hatchback/truck drain plug

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Hatchback/truck drain plug

Someone else pointed out on this site and I have verified that the boot in my hatchback appears to have a drain plug that is sealed away with silicone. Located below the spare tire on the passenger side.

Can someone please explain the purpose of this drain plug looking thing? Is it removable?

Also if anyone has any photos/video to share, possibly so I can include them in a YouTube video that would be appreciated.

I was too chicken/lazy to cut the silicone looking stuff away.

Thanks in advance!

Also If people have different model years or the sedan model and want to confirm this plug is in their vehicle that would be appreciated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Many cars have these drain plugs. It's got to be a manufacturing element. Maybe it's used when the body is being prepped for paint they run it through a solvent dip to remove grease?

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  38.6 KB
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-25-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    That looks like a picture from the Hyundai plant in Montgomery, AL. I worked there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Can someone please explain the purpose of this drain plug looking thing? Is it removable?
    My understanding was that the plug was originally designed so that when you put your dirty / muddy / snowy flat tire in the wheel well after changing it you could hose it out and let it drain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    My understanding was that the plug was originally designed so that when you put your dirty / muddy / snowy flat tire in the wheel well after changing it you could hose it out and let it drain.
    im not sure if you have ever looked at it. But mine is sealed shut with some type of silicone looking goop. The same goop used in other parts of my trunk. Here is a photo: Name:  Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 1.28.13 PM.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  92.5 KB
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    im not sure if you have ever looked at it. But mine is sealed shut with some type of silicone looking goop. The same goop used in other parts of my trunk. Here is a photo: Name:  Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 1.28.13 PM.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  92.5 KB
    Mine is like that also but I've seen them as simple rubber plugs also in other vehicles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-25-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I'd have to guess the Mirage goes through the same / similar kind of chemical dip / bath as what is shown in the picture. Since they prefer not to have a bird bath of that stuff going into the paint shop, it would be a drain point. Any use after that would just be coincidental and require breaking that seal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It seems like a pain in the ass to remove. Im just hoping someone shares a photo of it removed so i can make a youtube video about it like i discovered something
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is. I'll try to get a pic of one torn out next time I strip one out and scrap it out.

I'm gonna shamelessly plug a buddy's youtube channel. He's got a lot of cool video's. https://www.youtube.com/user/Canadianmancan/videos
    Last edited by Fummins; 08-29-2022 at 04:27 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-29-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fummins View Post
    if it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
    amen!!