Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Mirage SE, Odd behavior when paired to Android phone

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Angry 2018 Mirage SE, Odd behavior when paired to Android phone

So, fairly newly acquired 2018 Mirage.

I paired my Galaxy S8 to it when I got it...and one of the things I notice when I get into the car is...when I get in & start the car is, it does NOT default to playing from the paired phone.

...instead, EVERY TIME I get in the car it defaults to playing from the AM Radio. Never in the history of driving cars have I listened to AM Radio. But it insists on playing the staticky AM Radio.

Now I gotta wait 10-15 seconds for the connection of the phone-car to go thru...and then manually switch from AM...to FM...to whatever else...and finally to my phone.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I've only had this problem with the Mitsu, same phone worked fine in the previous car...and in the other vehicle, a 2005 truck with an aftermarket stereo that takes about 5 seconds to connect to the phone and start playing automatically.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If it's the same as the 2019 stock dumb radio, I have never had this happen. Always starts right back where I left it and the phone started almost instantly. Maybe there are some settings for it, but I never had to go digging. I ended up replcacing the 2019 radio with an 2021 Alpine unit anyways to get SiriusXM and Carplay, and it also boots right into android Auto if I want it to and bluetooth auto connects.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just for a goof, make sure the 2 fuses in the fuse box for the radio are fully seated. They are in the yellow holder & can cause funny things to happen if not pushed in all the way... That's all I can think of...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had that Hyundai Modis headunit in several Mirages. You can stop that from happening if you power down the headunit before shutting off the car. Otherwise they do that and it's annoying/jarring.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    If it's the same as the 2019 stock dumb radio, I have never had this happen. Always starts right back where I left it and the phone started almost instantly. Maybe there are some settings for it, but I never had to go digging. I ended up replcacing the 2019 radio with an 2021 Alpine unit anyways to get SiriusXM and Carplay, and it also boots right into android Auto if I want it to and bluetooth auto connects.
    I may follow your example if I can't get a solution figured out soon. And I can't see a loose fuse being a culprit for this, but I'll try that too.

What model of Alpine head unit did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I've had that Hyundai Modis headunit in several Mirages. You can stop that from happening if you power down the headunit before shutting off the car. Otherwise they do that and it's annoying/jarring.
    I've tried that, no joy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLandYacht View Post
    I may follow your example if I can't get a solution figured out soon. And I can't see a loose fuse being a culprit for this, but I'll try that too.

What model of Alpine head unit did you use?

I've tried that, no joy.

The stock radio pulled from a 2021 https://fccid.io/A269ZUA161

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh...somehow I thought you meant an aftermarket Alpine radio

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Its possible without the constant power fuse the radio fails to store your configuration and settings and what have you when the car is off. Although I am unsure the radio would be able to turn on without this constant source of power. Also this isnt really true any more with modern radios having non-volatile memory.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    does this look like the right one?
    And is it a direct plug-in replacement?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26585044730...EaAhoGEALw_wcB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    does this look like the right one?
    And is it a direct plug-in replacement?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26585044730...EaAhoGEALw_wcB
    Yes, same radio. I would check car-part, it's where I got mine for about $125 with a non-demolished button. The main Metra plug with steering wheel controls is compatible, so is the antenna and backup camera port. In my thread on this topic I have links to the two needed adapter cables for the older OEM usb. The only other thing is it needs an external mic for phone calls that didn't come with the stock dumb radio. My cables to try to create a radio -> 3.5mm plug so a 3.5mm standard mono mic can plug in just came in this weekend, so I will be attempting this myself soon and upload a picture if it works.

The extras are the Sirisuxm Tuner sxv300v1 if you want that, and obviously the GPS in the radio wont work without a GPS antenna, so no auto time zone switching like the dumb radio. If anyone has info about the GPS antenna I could try to come up with instructions to fabricate this as well, but as far as I can tell the radio has no visual indicator if the GPS is working and I don't live near a time zone.