Thread: 2 Month Review of Used 2019 Mirage ES

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

2 Month Review of Used 2019 Mirage ES

I bought my 2019 Mirage ES with 56000km on it and have been using it to drive 10km to work and 10km back + errands and weekend driving. So far 0 issues with the car and I'm very pleased.

Some common complaints from "car critics" I'd like to address

-"It's not fast enough" To that I have to point out the fact that it's very easy to get up to 100kmh / 60mph. When merging onto the highway I put it in sport mode for a few seconds to get up to speed then back into regular drive and can comfortably cruise at highway speeds (90-110kmh)while keeping the RPM below 2500, often 2000. Acceleration definitely could be improved but it's definitely not an issue. If you really need to accelerate and have the CVT, use sport mode for a few seconds and you can do fine.

-"Handles poorly" If you're trying to corner at 60kmh around race tracks then I agree, the Mirage won't be cut out for that. However I can't think of a time I've ever had to bust maneuvers in light traffic, heavy traffic, in the city, on the highway or on country roads. If you go fast around turns physics will punish you but for regular driving it's no problem at all.

-"It's cheap..." It is! That's the point of the car. It's reliable, cheap, and simple. It's really the perfect commuter car and I appreciate it for that. I also am quite fond of the interior, despite the fact I know there are much fancier ones the 2019 Mirage is in a sweet spot because it has the new touch screen display with Apple car play and Android auto but also the old A/C with the 3 knobs that is nice to use. The interior doesn't have any flare but gets everything done nicely and It's good in my opinion. I am a car enthusiast so for a weekend car I've been thinking about getting a new GR86 or Camaro, but for commuting and running errands the Mirage is honestly the best car you can go for right now in my opinion.

-"Wheels 2 small" I can agree on that for sure, I'm going to get bigger 15" wheels to replace the stock 14" ones.

-"Noisy" I for one appreciate the rumble of the 3 cylinder engine but even if you don't it's not egregious by any measure and with music on it's easy to not notice it at all.

Things I like:

-Car has a timing chain, unscrew the oil cap on the engine and you can see it.
    -EXTREMELY fuel efficient.
    -Cheerful hatchback design (not for everyone but I enjoy it).
    -Can be bought new for $15000 or less.

Overall I'm fairly certain the Mirage is the best or at least one of the best commuter cars on the market right now. Don't take my word for it though, listen to other owners and ignore "car critics" who are used to driving cars over twice the price as the Mirage.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti For This Useful Post:

Chrisb (02-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    "Wheels 2 small" I can agree on that for sure, I'm going to get bigger 15" wheels to replace the stock 14" ones.
    The Mirage is surely a great commuter/daily driver car.

You don't need larger rims to run larger tires. For example, a 175/65r14 14" tire is slightly larger than a factory 175/55r15 15" tire. These are probably the most common tire sizes being used on Mirages -

165/65r14 (22.4") factory 14" tires
    175/65r14 (23") - very common size
    185/60r14 (22.7") - also quite common

175/55r15 (22.6") factory 15" tires
    185/55r15 (23") - common upgrade that offers more choices

The factory 175/65r15 tire size has less good choices/options than the 14" tires sizes in my opinion. Going to a 185/55r15 tire increases your choices, but 175/65r14 or 185/60r14 tire can do the same.

Going from 14" rims to 15" rims doesn't make your wheels larger. You just have more rim & less tire. I suggest deciding on which type of type tires you want to run on your rims. A 15" rim may offer slightly more responsive handling, but you don't need larger rims to run larger tires on a Mirage.

There's nothing wrong with 14" tires on a Mirage. My cousin's 2007 Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck has 15" rims (all three different Colorado factory tire size options came on 15" rims that year), and it's no economy car like a Mirage.
    Last edited by Mark; 11-13-2021 at 11:13 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Yeti (11-14-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thank you for that info on the tires! I didn't realize that going from 14" to 15" wouldn't change the tire size haha! I will definitely keep note of this