Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a replacement clutch kit really THAT expensive/inexpensive!?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't know but I've never replaced a flywheel when replacing a clutch. This includes the Clutches on Mack Trucks with Mack transmissions that probably weigh a much as our cars... Unless there is a lot of damage, I would see no reason to change the flywheel... When you get it apart YMMV, but I don't see it as necessary...My 0.02...

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I agree. Unless there is some evidence that the flywheel is damaged just plan on replacing the clutch and pressure plate with a new clutch cable for good measure.

Some things you can’t see until it’s opened up. And there’s always junkyards. After all, we’re all running on used parts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Clutch cable is a good idea. I hear they like to snap, but generally at high mileage. Not a bad thing to go ahead and do whilst doing a clutch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I don't know but I've never replaced a flywheel when replacing a clutch.
    Neither have I or can I remember my father needing to replace the flywheel when he replaced clutches in late 60's

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Put the car in third gear and try really hard to take off from a stop. If the engine stalls, then your clutch is doing it's job. If it slips without stalling the engine and without moving the car, then it is time to either adjust the cable or replace the clutch. Are you sure the clutch cable is adjusted properly? If it isn't the symptoms will be exactly the same as a failing clutch.

As others have said, when the clutch 'goes' you will know. It won't be subtle. No flywheel replacement will be necessary...it is a big chunk of steel and very strong. If you want to install a lightened flywheel that is up to you. If your flywheel is glazed or scored, you can take it to a machine shop and have it resurfaced.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayb151 View Post
    Hey all,
    I'm asking this question because I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I brought my 2015 mirage into the shop for some wheel work. While there, the mechanic (who I trust) mentioned that my clutch is about to go. I've been noticing that I'm just not getting the same acceleration as I used to, so I totally agree with him.

I told him to work on my wheel, and price out the replacement parts to get the clutch fixed up. With bearings, flywheel, pressure plate, etc, he said it was going to be around $1300 JUST FOR PARTS. That seems crazy expensive, but I know he was only able to OEM parts from Mitsubishi.

Now, I'm looking up parts using this forum. Am I really finding kits for $100-200? Rock auto has a kit here

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...83lla4tptXI%3D

And even Amazon has a kit here https://www.amazon.com/d/B07BB122PJ

Am I missing something? Are these kits missing something I'm not seeing? Am I just going crazy?

Really, I'm just posting this as a sanity check. I don't want to drop over a grand, if the $100-200 parts are just as good. Thoughts before I pull the trigger on the cheap parts?

Thanks for looking!
    Jay
    No need to question your sanity! Mitsubishi's sanity is in question for grossly overpricing parts.
    Your trusted mechanic probably just looked up Mitsubishi as a parts source, but there are tons of aftermarket products!

The inventor of clutches, LUK, sells a complete set for €206.- in Europe being roughly US $185.- and you can't get any better quality than that. The OEM clutch is much inferior in comparison.
    LUK Part number is 619 3191 00

My advice, choose from from the well-known regional sources. You provided two sources yourself.
    If you don't have an overfilled loose wallet, keep the standard flywheel. You wouldn't expect it to need replacement anyway.
    After repair, never ride the clutch with your left foot. Put it on the footrest, thats what its for.
    Last edited by foama; 11-16-2021 at 01:46 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey all, Ok, it sounds like I don't really need a new flywheel, I appreciate all the input! That lightened flywheel sounds fun too, but I don't think my wife would enjoy driving through traffic with it installed lol.

I did end up reaching out to the Auto program at my school, and they said that they could do my clutch in during the spring semester. I'm going to buy the kit and throw it in the trunk. If the clutch goes, I'll get it repaired with my local guy. If the clutch lasts till spring, I'll take it to my school.

In the meantime as well, I'll do as CobraJet said and test out the clutch and adjust it if need be. Thanks so much everyone!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Sounds like a good plan to me! You're welcome (from all of us). ;-)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)