Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a replacement clutch kit really THAT expensive/inexpensive!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Is a replacement clutch kit really THAT expensive/inexpensive!?

Hey all,
    I'm asking this question because I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I brought my 2015 mirage into the shop for some wheel work. While there, the mechanic (who I trust) mentioned that my clutch is about to go. I've been noticing that I'm just not getting the same acceleration as I used to, so I totally agree with him.

I told him to work on my wheel, and price out the replacement parts to get the clutch fixed up. With bearings, flywheel, pressure plate, etc, he said it was going to be around $1300 JUST FOR PARTS. That seems crazy expensive, but I know he was only able to OEM parts from Mitsubishi.

Now, I'm looking up parts using this forum. Am I really finding kits for $100-200? Rock auto has a kit here

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...83lla4tptXI%3D

And even Amazon has a kit here https://www.amazon.com/d/B07BB122PJ

Am I missing something? Are these kits missing something I'm not seeing? Am I just going crazy?

Really, I'm just posting this as a sanity check. I don't want to drop over a grand, if the $100-200 parts are just as good. Thoughts before I pull the trigger on the cheap parts?

Thanks for looking!
    Jay

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Check out this thread. He went with the Amazon clutch:

Mirage Clutch (analysis, weaknesses etc with pics)

Edit - How many miles are on your car? We have a lot of 5-speed cars on the forum but not that many clutch replacements yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-15-2021),MetroMPG (11-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Top Fuel! I was actually just reading Loren's post about lightening his flywheel. I'll catch up on that post too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Save your $$ and get the aftermarket kit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Save your $$ and get the aftermarket kit.
    That's what I'm thinking. Sounds like Loren had some pretty good success with the Amazon kit, so I'm leaning that way. Though, I'm having a real hard time finding the flywheel, and the one I did find was over $300. I might have to bite the bullet and just fork over the cash for that, I'm not sure if a clutch replacement is worth it if you don't do the flywheel too.

Thanks for the input!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    DirtGearTv has developed a lightweight flywheel for the Mirage and he has some available for sale!

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ywheels-Ready!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    DirtGearTv has developed a lightweight flywheel for the Mirage and he has some available for sale!

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ywheels-Ready!
    After all the reading I just did about flywheels, a 9 pound weight savings sounds crazy! Serious question though because I have absolutely no idea, how would those stack up longevity-wise? Would these lightweight aluminum wheels be as reliable as the OEM part?

Thanks for sharing!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    jayb151 - I'm not saying to not replace your clutch. But when your clutch goes, you know it. And even when it is going out, from all my experience the car is still drivable. Not that you want to drive it like that. but here's an example.

My sons G35 had a clutch going out. If you throttled it hard enough in any of the top gears, it was as if you half pushed the clutch. The car would accelerate by the rpms would rev inordinately high ... like half pushing the clutch and purposely slipping it.

I let him drive around 3 or 4 weeks like this (why I figured out the replacement). I told him to gently release the clutch and gently accelerate. If you do this gentle enough, the clutch won't slip. And he did, he drove it that way. And guess what it did! It taught him EXCELLENT clutch control. After I did replace the clutch, I don't think he'll ever wear a clutch out again. He knows now how to be gentle with it and minimize slip to get it fully engaged. It was either $700 or $750 to go back with the stock type clutch (dual mass I think it was called). Worked great afterwards.

And my Cummins Ram got to the point where when I was pulling a heavy enough load, and starting pulling a hill, when the turbo would hit a certain boost level, it would also slip and rev. I drove the truck for a long time like that, just trying to take it easy on the clutch. Finally the pilot bearing gave way (I don't see how that would be related to slipping the clutch), and me and a buddy pulled the clutch out and I assembled a 1,000 lb-ft clutch in it. That was fun. Oh to have a lift and lots of good tools.

So if you don't notice it revving like your half pushing the clutch, maybe your clutch is fine and you could save a few hundred dollars. But of course, you're the best judge of that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayb151 View Post
    Would these lightweight aluminum wheels be as reliable as the OEM part?
    No.

But would it be reliable enough? Likely.

I wonder though, if for street use, would there be negative side effects to running a flywheel that is that much lighter? There could be I suppose. For example: Maybe on the street it might become a bigger challenge to pull away from a stop as smoothly and without stalling the engine with such a lightweight flywheel. A heavier flywheel helps give the engine momentum. It may feel smoother while trying to pull away, and be easier to regulate rpm to have a nice smooth pull away with the stock flywheel.

It could be that it really doesn't matter on a sand buggy kind of vehicle about clutch engagement. Offroad you can sort of dump the clutch and let the rear tires spin in loose dirt. But on a street car, it could have an effect. Take this with a grain of salt, I don't know for a fact what said light weight flywheel will do. I think it is worth considering though. If you're building it to drag launch at 'the strip' probably the lighter flywheel would be advantageous. But on the street it could be somewhat aggravating.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 11-15-2021 at 11:23 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

daleWV (11-16-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post

So if you don't notice it revving like your half pushing the clutch, maybe your clutch is fine and you could save a few hundred dollars. But of course, you're the best judge of that.
    I appreciate the advice. I'm not in the world's biggest hurry to replace it, but I am slipping a bit. I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row. I can change my own oil and brakes and whatnot, but I'm not even going to attempt a clutch replacement myself. So I just want to be sure when the time comes, I'm prepared. Also...in all honesty, I've got the money to buy the parts now so it's a lot less stressful to buy them now. I can buy the parts and actually plan when I'll do the replacement rather than try to scramble when the car isn't working. I live on a decent hill, and I just know that one day it's going to give out. Rather be prepared!

I work at a community college too. If I can get the Auto students to do the work, that will cut the cost basically in half as well! Again, thanks a lot for your thoughts. It makes me feel a lot better about holding off and planning for this repair.