Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: row-your-boat owners: what RPMs do you shift?

Pop Green Plus
    Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I just drive normally so shifting 3500 from first and then 3000rpm from there on.
    It's too slow to accelerate trying to stay in eco, especially here in Australia.
    100km/h is most of my way to work and this morning still got 5.2l/100 average for the trip
    It's a damn sight better than the 14l/100 my Legnum gets Damn thirsty Twin Turbo V6 haha

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage LS Pop Green Plus Pack 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Damn pudg, you own a twin turbo legnum? Awesome! my 8G Galant "only" uses 10L/100KM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Pop Green Plus
    Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Damn pudg, you own a twin turbo legnum? Awesome! my 8G Galant "only" uses 10L/100KM.
    Yeah man there's a "artistic" night shot of it in the garage section
    The Mirage is literally paying for itself. $160 a week in fuel is what I was paying
    So with the $$$ I'm saving in fuel bills I went and bought a new car haha

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage LS Pop Green Plus Pack 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    ����LoL���� my saving is 90 euro per week .... it's also paying for itself, but I still keep the Galant for occasional riding, still kiss it goodnight and wipes off the dust every now and then. My Galant is my love, can't believe a car that sexy ... Looks way more beautiful than ANY Porsche (they're fugly).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Back on topic:

Because I'm new to the car, I'm considering getting a shift light to help me shift at the right RPMs.

For example, set the shift light to shift at 4k so I know it's at 4k and shift. Or if I'm on eco mode, put the shift light on 3k or lower.

Yay or nay?

I'd say Nay to the shift light.

If you want to save fuel, get an instant fuel economy display (better) or a vacuum gauge (cheaper). (It's too bad the car didn't come with the instant display - the Versa Note has both instant & average displays.)

When to shift depends on so many variables, a simple light isn't good enough. EG if going for best economy, there will be plenty of times you'll moving along under light engine load beneath the shift light's 3k (or whatever) setting and you COULD upshift, but the light won't come on to remind you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The instant fuel economy display or whatever gauge would still force me to look down on it while the shift light illuminates my entire face and I could shift even without looking down.

In racing, the point of the shift light is to know when to shift without taking focus away from driving.

EDIT:
    Looking into these blutooth OBD to connect with the Torque app. Where's our OBD connection at?
    Last edited by Ares; 02-10-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'd stay take a couple weeks to get used to the car. Use the tach, its not that distracting. Soon you'll know your engine rpms by sound and you won't need a light or the tach. From all the testing I've seen on acceleration and its effect on fuel economy its a lot less important than how much you use the brakes.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

OBD port -- good question. I'll start a thread on that because it's one of those things that comes up repeatedly. (If we've got a thread, it'll be easier to search for.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Doubt I'll know it by sound as I blast music.

Either way, if what you say (about the brakes) is true, I should be getting good MPG as I almost never use them