Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT Mirage owner from Austalia ... not getting rated fuel economy

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Thanks guys,I understand what you are saying ,but when I brought the car and the only main reason for buying car was for running around local,taking kids to school and the salesman said I would still get 650klms plus out of full tank,I don't normally have air con on,I would be happy if I got 600klms plus,but I'm not getting that.im about to fill up again and this tank I will just get over 400klms and everytime I fill tank it's around 28litres.so if u work that out my avg litr/100klms is between 12-15litres/100klm...if I was getting anything over 600-650klms out of a tank that would be a bonus,
    So I can get more feedback on owners with auto and how much they get out of tank and style of avg driving that would be great.ive spoken to 4-6 owners and most are lovely the car and getting what they were told out of full tank,couple not so happy.im going to try and take car to another mitsubishi dealer(not where I brought it from)and get it checked over.

The salesman just told you what he thought you wanted to hear, minus the usual disclaimer, "your mileage may vary".

I think the key issue is: your usage patterns don't align with the way the vehicle was tested in order to determine its fuel economy rating. Therefore you don't get the rated economy.

I'd be willing to bet there's nothing wrong with the car, but maybe you'll discover something. Good luck, and keep us posted!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellykids View Post
    so if u work that out my avg litr/100klms is between 12-15litres/100klm...if I was getting anything over 600-650klms
    15liter/100km is on par with a 4WD 8 cylinder Toyota Tundra truck...how have your previous cars compared to their stated fuel economy?

Also, what are the RPMs on the car when it is going 100 KPH?

Nope. Some math problems there...

400klms and everytime I fill tank it's around 28litres.so if u work that out my avg litr/100klms is between 12-15litres/100klm
    28 L for 400 km is 7 L/100 km. (28 / 400 * 100).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I don't get it, you're getting higher numbers, isn't that a good thing?

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Wellykids

Don't stress. Our LS Mirage with CVT auto had similar fuel consumption as yours to start off with. We now have over 3500km on the clock and everything is running in nicely. We have the platinum pack and cool pack installed which makes the car heavier again and on a combined urban / extra urban trip the fuel consumption sits at around 5.5L / 100km. Your fuel consumption will improve as the car is run in. You may need to get closer to 5000km until you get the claimed economy. We have an outlander 4WD with combined consumption of 9.3L / 100. The car has 45000km now and we can get 7.5L / 100km. For the first 5,000 to 10,000 the best we could get was around 10 to 12L / 100. Our friends have a Honda Jazz and also were not happy with the initial economy. Now after 5000km and my frequent reassurance they are happy and the car is achieving the claimed consumption. You will notice the brakes, transmission and engine will all have a better feel and smoother operation after a good run in period of 3,000 to 5,000km and this does wonders for your fuel consumption. I hope this helps
    Cheers,

Tim

7. The Following User Says Thank You to timbo350 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorifuta View Post
    I don't get it, you're getting higher numbers, isn't that a good thing?
    L/100 km is backward to mpg... a lower number is better fuel economy. (If that's what you meant.)

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Nope. Some math problems there...

28 L for 400 km is 7 L/100 km. (28 / 400 * 100).
    That equates to over 40 mpg (UK gallons). I would say that is very good for a new car driving mostly in the city.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    hi all,my wife just did a trip from goldcoast to newcastle(about 730klms),most is open road/freeway,she only got 480klms out of full tank..thats only 50-60klms more then we get around town...the car has now done around 4000klms,i rang mitsubishi motors australia and they still saying car is still running in...she said the avg/100klms was 5.5-6.0l/100klms,now to me thats alittle bad when she should have been getting 4.1 avg....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    5.5l/100km works out to 42.7 miles per u.s. gallon, which is almost exactly what the US version of the Mirage is rated. If your wife was doing 110 kph, that fuel usage is right on par with what you would expect. If she were to do 95 kph, her fuel usage would probably drop to around around 5l/100 km. Dropping the speed even further to 80 kph would put you in the 4.2l/100 km range.