Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT Mirage owner from Austalia ... not getting rated fuel economy

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

CVT Mirage owner from Austalia ... not getting rated fuel economy

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So, all models of the Mirage with 5-speed manual officially get 5 stars in the Department of Infrastructure and Transport’s Green Vehicle Guide . The CVT cars get 4.5 stars.

And looking at the list of most efficient petrol cars (non-hybrids) in the guide, the Mirage comes in 4th place. Of the four, it's the only one that doesn't require premium (95 RON) fuel:

1. Fiat 500 - TwinAir 0.9L, 2-cyl turbo (both auto & manual)
      3.9 - 4.0 L/100 km (combined) depending on specs
      95 RON premium fuel required
    2. Smart Fortwo - 1.0L, 3-cyl (auto)
      4.4 L/100 km (combined)
    3. Suzuki Alto - 1.0L, 3-cyl (manual)
      4.5 L/100 km (combined)
    4. Mitsubishi A0 Mirage ES - 1.2L, 3-cyl (manual/CVT)
      4.6 L/100 km (combined)
      91 RON regular fuel
    hi guys please help me out,i brought my in dec 2013,automatic,used but only 10klms on the car,i have had and still having big issues with the fuel consumption.

according to mitsubishi fuel consumption should be 4.6L-4.9L/per 100klms run on normal 91unleaded..

i've filled the tank up 5 times now,1st time i got 293klms out of tank,2nd,320klms,3rd 330klms,4th 430klms(and thats with a trip to brisbane on M1)...the avg per/100klms has NEVER gone below 6.8l/per 100klms,dont forget the car has a 35litre tank.now according to salesperson i should be getting 700klms per tank....

the car went back for first service last friday and good old caryard where i brought it from couldnt find anything wrong with it...

i then got onto phone to mitsubishi motors austraila and they want me to note my trips/klms/ and then he will talk to there service tech.

im totally not happy with the car,the service im getting from caryard and mitsubishi motors,so if other owners could leave feedback for me about their mirage,i might to able to take this further..

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Your engine will hardly be run in yet, I wouldn't expect to see fuel economy close to the claimed economy figures until you have a couple thousand k's on the dial.

also your route will have alot to do with economy, for example if your drive is mostly stop start traffic then I would expect 6-7l/100km if its upwards of 80km/hr for more than 75% of the time I would expect less usage around 5-6l/100km or less.

give it another month, make sure that your driving is in line with fuel saving driving habits, don't plant the foot too much and avoid heavy braking. I'd be surprised if the economy doesn't keep improving as it has been.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage ES Sport 1.2 manual: 42.9 mpg (US) ... 18.2 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dumpchook For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-06-2014)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Thanks dump chook

Thanks for input,the car now has 2500klms on it,all our travelling is around harbour town,surfers,robina the avg fuel gauge doesn't stay on or near an avg rate,it's different everytime we get in the car,our driving is 75/80 percent time with the Eco light on.we don't fog the car it's not for that.i have spoken to other mirage owners in person and they are saying the avg fuel rate doesn't jump up or down unless if there driving on freeway.also whilst sitting in idle for about 5-10mins the fuel avg gauge climbs,it went from 10L/100klms to 86.4L/100klms.i took pics of it happening.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellykids View Post
    Thanks for input,the car now has 2500klms on it,all our travelling is around harbour town,surfers,robina the avg fuel gauge doesn't stay on or near an avg rate,it's different everytime we get in the car,our driving is 75/80 percent time with the Eco light on.we don't fog the car it's not for that.i have spoken to other mirage owners in person and they are saying the avg fuel rate doesn't jump up or down unless if there driving on freeway.also whilst sitting in idle for about 5-10mins the fuel avg gauge climbs,it went from 10L/100klms to 86.4L/100klms.i took pics of it happening.
    True, idling will raise up your fuel usage if you don't have auto stop and go. You know why? because you're only burning fuel without getting any distance. Somehow the computer counts the amount of fuel burnt while idling in the counting of the fuel consumption while the car is ongoing. Which in this part is also correct, it's the average of total fuel usage, it doesn't say average of fuel used when driving (stop/idling not counted).
    Try this: Try not only watching the eco lamps, but try for one full tank to drive no faster than 80 km/hour max, press the pedal no more than 1/4 (very lightly, yes will go very slowly), keep the rpm no more than 2000 when switching to higher gear, drive in town on 4th/5th gear (if u own manual, otherwise very lightly on the pedal).
    The fuel usage will drop when you drive out on highway, if i only drive in the city (urban driving), my best will be 5.6L/100KM.
    And you will never able to get more than 650 (incl. reserve) out of 1 tank, my furthest was 609 KM ish and tanked 28 L.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Welcome to the forum, wellykids!

according to mitsubishi fuel consumption should be 4.6L-4.9L/per 100klms
    First, note that the Australian ratings are fairly optimistic.

Second: have you looked in our fuel economy log? The average fuel economy of 26 Mirage owners is currently around 5.8 L/100 km. Roughly half of owners are above, half are below that figure.

The US EPA fuel economy ratings are probably closest to reality for the typical driver, and if you're getting around 6.8 for city driving, that's pretty close to the 6.4 figure they give.

according to salesperson i should be getting 700klms per tank....
    He's quoting an ideal case driving scenario. That would translate to 5L/100 km, and only 5.0 if you ran the tank completely dry. You can get that figure if you take a long, liesurely highway trip at moderate speeds, in ideal conditions. See thread: Speed vs. mpg/mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd and CVT

Dumpchook and maverick are right: your route & driving style have a huge impact on your economy. If you're doing mostly town driving, doing short trips, you shouldn't expect to get the rated figure, especially using the A/C which burns even more fuel.

avg fuel gauge doesn't stay on or near an avg rate,it's different everytime we get in the car
    Do you know there are two different settings for the AVG fuel econ display? Seems like you're describing the "Auto reset" mode (resets if you haven't driven the car for 4 hours). You can change it to the "manual" reset mode, which would let you watch your fuel consumption over a full tank (or for as long until you manually reset the gauge). Check your owner's manual for instructions on changing from auto to manual reset.

also whilst sitting in idle for about 5-10mins the fuel avg gauge climbs,it went from 10L/100klms to 86.4L/100klms.i took pics of it happening.
    A rapidly changing display is normal IF the gauge has been recently reset (in either auto or manual reset mode), in other words if there are relatively few kms on the odometer since the last reset. The further you've driven since the last reset, the less the average will swing up or down from big changes in the rate of consumption.

Also: why are you idling your car? As maverick says, that's a guaranteed way to get horrid fuel economy! The tests to determine the ratings include little to no idling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    First, note that the Australian ratings are fairly optimistic.
    Wow, those Australian numbers are a bit optimistic. I wonder how Australian does their numbers. 3.9l/100 km for the highway is around what I got when I went 70 KPH on a straight/flat road. At a more realistic 100 KPH on a straight flat road 4.9l/100 is reasonable.

The more reasonable US numbers for the 2014 model are 5.35L/100 km highway and 6.35L/100km in town.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    Wow, those Australian numbers are a bit optimistic. I wonder how Australian does their numbers. 3.9l/100 km for the highway is around what I got when I went 70 KPH on a straight/flat road. At a more realistic 100 KPH on a straight flat road 4.9l/100 is reasonable.

The more reasonable US numbers for the 2014 model are 5.35L/100 km highway and 6.35L/100km in town.
    I got 3.7L/100 km by driving at 80 KM/H on flat road and last 10 KM in the city with loads of corners. I get 4.8L/100 KM by driving at 10 KM city and the rest 100 KM/H.

Mind you the A/C was out and only heater was on.
    No idling since i use the ASG.

US rating is so low because of the bad fuel quality you are using. I'm using V-power Shell which is RON 97 and it really saves fuel. I noticed that my rating went down a bit (just a tiiinnyyyy bit) when filled with RON/octane 95. We can't get any lower than octane 95.

Oh and using V-power the engine sound has almost gone, this morning i just noticed by driving at 100 km/h there's NO engine sound at all, only wind and tyre sound. And there I was cruising at 3000+ RPM constantly

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

US rating is so low because of the bad fuel quality you are using.
    The US rating is lower because it uses a completely different set of tests.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    The US rating is lower because it uses a completely different set of tests.
    Ah that's also possible, but i'm still convinced the fuel's octane plays a role. How else can I get 71 HP on 1.0L engine and you get 74 HP on 1.2L engine? our 1.2L engine has 80 HP. By setting the timing higher (which made possible by higher octane without pinging) we get higher HP and torque.

But thanks for the correction Metro!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The increased compression ratio of your 1.0L also has a bit to do with it. The 1.0L has an 11.5:1 compression ratio where as the 1.2L has a 10.5:1 compression ratio. This, combined with your higher octane fuel is likely what gives you the bulk of the advantage.

Our regular / low octane fuel here is 87 (AKI) octane (in most locals), this equates to 92 RON (Euro rating). You say the lowest you can get is 95 RON which is around 91 AKI here. The highest octane we can buy here is 93 AKI, and this is the equivalent of your 97 RON. So, we can get the same quality fuel you can, but people buying the Mirage would have to pay about 15% more for the high octane fuel. I don't believe that you would see a 15% increase in fuel economy to offset the additional cost. The Smart ForTwo requires premium and just about every review I've seen commented on that fact.

This is basically copied from the octane rating wiki page:
    Fuel RON (Aus, NZ, Europe) AKI (US, Canada)
    Regular Unleaded (US) - 87
    Mid Grade (US) - 89
    Regular Unleaded (EU) 95 90-91 (not widely available)
    Premium (EU & US) 97 93

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)