Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: George :: 2022 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    George
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    White
    Manual

Bone stock base trim. Purchased brand new on November 20, 2021. 18 kilometers on the odometer! It also seems to have automatic headlights, and rain sensing wipers!

Details

Replaced the OEM base radio and speakers with a Sony XAV-AX5000 and Cerwin Vega HED series components, with a 6.5 inch woofer and 1" tweeter. Sound treatment on the woofers too. Steering wheel controls and OEM rear camera work with the head unit.

Stock steelies with 175 wide winter tires and OEM wheel covers.
    DAI A-Spec 15" rims with 185/55-15 tires for summer.

Comments: 48 / Views: 19678
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 88coltturbo View Post
    Factory tires are ALWAYS inferior to what you get from a tire shop
    Unless you purchase some ultra cheap tires manufactured by Hangzhou Zongce Rubber Company

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    It really doesn't matter where the tire comes from. It's just important to realize a factory Falken Sincera SN250A A/S tire is not the same as a Falken Sincera SN250 A/S tire that has a 720AB rating & 80,000 mile warranty.

If you buy a 165/65r14 Falken tire, it's going to be the same inferior Falken Sincera SN250A A/S tire with no warranty whether you buy it from a tire shop, walmart.com, simpletire.com, easy-tires.com, or wherever. If you want the 80,000 mile warranty Falken, you will need to jump up to the 175/65r14 tire size.

If you buy a 165/65r14 Dunlop Enasave from a tire shop, Walmart, or any other tire vendor, it's going to be the exact same tire.

Discount Tire was incorrectly listing the 165/65r14 Falken tire as a 80,000 mile tire for quite some time. I questioned them on this several times, because I thought they were not being honest with their tire listing. Instead of correcting the listing, they chose to drop the tire instead. I thought that was a bit odd?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (12-01-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I guess Kumho does things differently. Tires that came stock on the Kia were worn at 33k. The exact same tire that replaced it went almost 80k. Same model, same size.
    Similar experience with Pirelli and MINI.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess Kumho does things differently. Tires that came stock on the Kia were worn at 33k. The exact same tire that replaced it went almost 80k. Same model, same size.
    Similar experience with Pirelli and MINI.
    I have a hard time believing the same tire (model & size) were that different? Did those tires have the same UTQG rating?

I have never found factory tires to be that spectacular, but I also can't say I have ever bought the same type of factory tires to replace them either. The factory Bridgestone tires that were on my Forester were horrible. Thus, I don't buy Bridgestone tires. Likewise, I had a Dunlop Enasave tire fail at 15,000 miles (sidewall issue). I would never buy a Dunlop tire after that. Inferior factory tires don't inspire me to buy that brand in the future.

In the past, I've typically switched over to Cooper tires for most of my vehicles. The Mirage has been an exception, because Cooper doesn't make a 165/65r14 tire. If I don't find some satisfaction in 165/65r14 Nexen or Kumho tires for my Mirage in the next couple years, I would jump up to a 175/65r14 Cooper tire or something else in that mid-price range.

There are other Falken Sincera SN250A A/S factory tires being made for a few other vehicles on the market, but I don't remember which vehicles they were. The "A" added to the SN250 indicates a factory tire that is different than the tires without the "A". It's their little way of indicating they are different tires.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have a hard time believing the same tire (model & size) were that different? Did those tires have the same UTQG rating?

I have never found factory tires to be that spectacular, but I also can't say I have ever bought the same type of factory tires to replace them either. The factory Bridgestone tires that were on my Forester were horrible. Thus, I don't buy Bridgestone tires. Likewise, I had a Dunlop Enasave tire fail at 15,000 miles (sidewall issue). I would never buy a Dunlop tire after that. Inferior factory tires don't inspire me to buy that brand in the future.

In the past, I've typically switched over to Cooper tires for most of my vehicles. The Mirage has been an exception, because Cooper doesn't make a 165/65r14 tire. If I don't find some satisfaction in 165/65r14 Nexen or Kumho tires for my Mirage in the next couple years, I would jump up to a 175/65r14 Cooper tire or something else in that mid-price range.

There are other Falken Sincera SN250A A/S factory tires being made for a few other vehicles on the market, but I don't remember which vehicles they were. The "A" added to the SN250 indicates a factory tire that is different than the tires without the "A". It's their little way of indicating they are different tires.
    Yes, identical tire in my cases. There are quite a few docs that have been made where companies make products to spec at a price for a brand, and are not the same as what you'd find for sale to a consumer.
    A perfect example of this is "outlet" stores. Same label/brand, but at a fraction of the cost of retail. How so? The brand gets stuff made specifically for that market, and it's not the same quality.
    Tires - stuff that's made for cars rolling of the line are done as cheap as possible, regardless of brand.
    As always, with anything, YMMV.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I wouldn't say ALWAYS. Maybe ALWAYS applies to Hyundai-Kia. Hyundai-Kia would install tires made out of dirt, if dirt would hold air.

Let's consider a high volume production car, like a Camry. There's probably 400k of those made per year. If Toyota chooses exactly like Mitsubishi did with this tire, the "A" tire which appears to be an inferior tire, and saves $1 per tire, that equates to $1.6 million per year in increased profit. Who doesn't like $1.6 million? Add greater savings than that, and there's no wonder we're not riding around on Maypop brand dirt tires.

OEMs make those decisions every day. Like we do choosing PB&J or ham and cheese.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-01-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My Dad's brand new Honda Accord had Michelin's that were junk after 50k
    2004 model year.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, identical tire in my cases. There are quite a few docs that have been made where companies make products to spec at a price for a brand, and are not the same as what you'd find for sale to a consumer.
    A perfect example of this is "outlet" stores. Same label/brand, but at a fraction of the cost of retail. How so? The brand gets stuff made specifically for that market, and it's not the same quality.
    Tires - stuff that's made for cars rolling of the line are done as cheap as possible, regardless of brand.
    As always, with anything, YMMV.
    Regardless of past experiences -

A 165/65R14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S (320BB/no warranty) is the current 14" factory tire for the 2021+ Mirages. If you bought this tire elsewhere, it's going to be the exact same tire. It's the only 165/65r14 tire that Falken sells in the States, & it is not the same tire as the Falken Sincera SN250 A/S (720AB/80,000 mile warranty).

I only stated this because 165/65r14 tire choices are quite limited. I would hate to see someone spend their money on this tire thinking they were buying a Sincera SN250 A/S. A 165/65r14 Sincera SN250 A/S doesn't exist in the States. I haven't seen one at least, & Falken's tire site doesn't list one either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My Dad's brand new Honda Accord had Michelin's that were junk after 50k
    2004 model year.
    Many tire companies that supply tires to auto manufacturers produce several models of tires. Most auto companies are not going to purchase the top of the line tire offerings for their new vehicles.

My dad had the dealership replace his GMC Terrain factory Michelin tires before they reached 30,000 miles not that all long ago, because he couldn't stand the noise coming from them. He didn't have to pay full price for the replacements, but he had to settle for a different set of Michelin tires.

Michelin is considered one of the top tire companies, but that doesn't mean ever tire model is the same top quality. That would be true of most tire companies.

Overall, I have heard good things about Falken tires. I wish their 165/65r14 offering was their 80,000 mile warranty tire, but it's not!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Depends on your definition of inferior... As 7MO stated, it's all up to the Auto Manufacturer's request. The request might be for specific handling, noise, or rolling resistance requirements, and in that regard, they are often in fact SUPERIOR than a replacement tire. No doubt the request might be for the dollar cheaper version (or more ) that he also mentioned. Margins do often play a factor.

However, you seem to base inferiority simply on how long they last, and in that regard, you may be correct, because the one thing that no OE requests, is that the tire last a long time. In fact, they want to get you to come to their dealers to buy new tires as soon as they can get the service writer to put it in the oil change notes.

All of this said, OE tires are usually the bane of a manufacturers existence... they have to meet all the OEMs criteria and yet still be cheap, and yet perform well enough that you the end customer don't say "Well, I will certainly never run another set of those blankety blankers!"

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)