Thread: Greetings from Canada's capital

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Greetings from Canada's capital

After many months of research, and having a 2005 MINI Cooper that been in the shop quite frequently lately, it was time for a new car. I really wanted to stay with the MINI brand, but a new one was out of the range of affordability for me. And, a used one wasn't an option, as I'm tired of dealing with neglect from previous owners.

I first fell in love with the Mirage in high school, when a buddy brought his Dad's new 85 Colt Turbo to school one day. Loved the way it felt, and the boost was addictive. I dreamt about owning one. Once I started working full time in the early 90's, I came across a '88 that ticked l the boxes. I ran that car for 3 years, until it met it's demise in 94. The insurance company wrote it off, which started a string of cars that were marriage and family friendly. Fast forward to 2014. Big family car needed replacing, and the kids were old enough that we didn't travel anymore. Time for something fun. Sitting in a few cars at the annual car show had e gravitating towards either a Fiat 500 or a MINI Cooper. I couldn't stomach $22k for a new one. Found a good used one for $8k. Joined the local MINI club, and kept driving MINIs. Love the car, the brand, and the people involved with the MINI culture.
    Every time the car needed repairs, it needed to be left in the shop for a day of two, which necessitated a rental. I was always interested in small cars, so I always asked for a Micra, Spark, or Mirage. I was lucky enough to drive all three. HATED the automatic, and always felt that these cars would be a lot better with a stick.

Present day, shopping for new, and with price increases across the board, the Mirage made more and more sense. The Spark 1LT in a manual is now $17k+fees, and the Micra doesn't exist anymore. The base Mirage has everything I need.
    The universe spoke when, by chance, I stopped by Rallye Mitsubishi in Gatineau to look at a few used ones they had on the lot, in a manual. Driving it sealed the deal. It felt so natural. Second nature. But, I wanted new, and asked how long it would take to get one in. They just happened to have one on the lot that arrived that morning. Protective wrap still on it!

I slept on it before making a decision. If by chance that the car was snapped up by someone else, then it wasn't meant to be. The next day, I was able to give them a deposit, and the ball was set in motion.

Driving home today, I was amazed at just how easy this car is to drive. I'm still getting used to the sound of the 3 cylinder, and surprised at how much torque it has. No issue at all getting off the line, or keeping up with traffic. It's also a lot more comfortable that the Spark.

Really happy there's a community here on the web specifically for the Mirage!

This is George. He looks forward to sharing his travels with you all

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 88coltturbo For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-21-2021),dspace9 (11-21-2021),inuvik (11-23-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Welcome aboard George. Nice looking 2022, you are one of the first on the Forum to have the new design.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (11-23-2021)

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by 88coltturbo View Post
    I was always interested in small cars, so I always asked for a Micra, Spark, or Mirage. I was lucky enough to drive all three. HATED the automatic, and always felt that these cars would be a lot better with a stick.
    I would say you're a rare person who's driven all 3 and picked the Mirage.

(So far, there are two of us. :-D )

I'm honestly surprised that given your MINI background you didn't go for a lightly used Micra. Of those 3 cars, it's the most fun to drive -- closest to the MINI in spirit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (11-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats on your purchase. The Mirage is a car of many unsung pleasures. Enjoy it!

I love mine. And yes, I love the CVT!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wil B For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (11-23-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome!

I would say you're a rare person who's driven all 3 and picked the Mirage.

(So far, there are two of us. :-D )

I'm honestly surprised that given your MINI background you didn't go for a lightly used Micra. Of those 3 cars, it's the most fun to drive -- closest to the MINI in spirit.
    Agreed, it's the closest to the MINI. My main goal was to buy new. If Nissan was still making the Micra, or if I could find a dealer with stock on a new one, I would have considered it. I don't want to buy used anymore. I test drove a 2019 Spark with a manual, with only 36k on the clock. The clutch was toast. Used = no thanks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Fair enough!

I've bought three high-km used manual Mirages so far. The first 2 were fine.

But I'm dealing with gearbox issues on the current one (gear oil too thick, possibly the wrong spec). So I understand not wanting to deal with other people's problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (11-24-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Test driving the '19 Mirage confirmed that I no longer have tolerance for another used car. After 3 used MINIs over the past 7 years, and many many thousands spent fixing shoddy short cut repairs, I wanted new. Who knows how I'll feel when this one needs replacing.........

Prediction: time spent with the Mirage will cause you to build up a sense of security so you'll go back to buying used Minis... for a while.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Prediction: time spent with the Mirage will cause you to build up a sense of security so you'll go back to buying used Minis... for a while.
    Doubtful.
    Most people who buy MINIs do so, thinking that they only have to change the oil once a year. They also think that following the dealer maintenance schedule is ok. These same people, who spend ~$40k+ on a car, whine and complain about the price of premium fuel, and that an oil change once their complementary service ends is $250. It's no wonder that most used MINIs are basket case cars. For the record, I almost bought a 2017 Cooper, priced at $17k. It has every possible option on it, and was probably close to $50k when new. Walked away after a test drive. The transmission had a shudder in it. So, unless the used MINI in question has a compete service records showing that the owner went beyond the dealer service intervals - which are ridiculously long even with synthetic fluids - I'll probably pass.
    That said, Mitsu suggest the oil change be done every 8k. I'll be doing at 5-6k.