Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP my sister's Camry Hybrid

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So, maybe technically the collision wasn't the ALtima's fault, but in reality it sure was.
    You're exactly right.

The guy was about 25 or so, nice enough fellow. I noticed when I looked up that he was indicating to the Marshall that the Marshall was #1 ... just using the wrong finger to do so. He also told me later that he was also honking when he received a swift jolt from the rear. It's amazing how fast the brain works. Computer fast, but the body takes so much more time to comply. My thoughts went something like this. "Woah, look out, ok, he missed him, damn what a douche for a Marshall, sucker is just driving away like he didn't just nearly cause a bigtime cr--- DOOOOOH!" I remember hearing myself do the same kind of groaning/growling sound during the course of the impact just like I did when I played football and slammed people. I remember the feeling of the seatbelt. It was a rather hard blow but didn't hurt me one bit as hard as that seatbelt grabbed me. I never had any soreness from it, and as hard as it was, no airbags deployed. Which I am glad they didn't. Less to repair, and seatbelts when properly worn are more than adequate in a frontal impact such as this. Officially my fault as I got distracted with the callous driving of the Marshall. But unofficially, Mr. Altima only needed to drag his speed down a bit then proceed on. Yet he came to a full stop just to exaggerate the incident, for effect, resulting in a Dodge Ram enema.

Not too much truck damage then?
    I paid $1,900 out of pocket to repair it.

Name:  TruckDamage1.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  99.1 KB

That big rounded damage area is mostly from my tire. It must have sort of squatted the Altima and my truck "rode" up into that area. My front bumper mostly flexed out of the way. I drove my truck right on home ... with toe out of spec. Front bumper, RF fender, and a helluva good alignment (better than the OEM alignment). $1,900 out of my pocket and Big Blue still diesels loudly (but efficiently) down the road. I have subsequently removed the pappy-cap shown on the truck below.
    Name:  AltimaDamage1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  96.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What kind of tire test? Longevity?
    Yessir. Taxis are quite the torture test.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That big rounded damage area is mostly from my tire. It must have sort of squatted the Altima and my truck "rode" up into that area. My front bumper mostly flexed out of the way. Name:  AltimaDamage1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  96.3 KB
    Wow. Yep, very similar looking damage!

The VW Tiguan that hit my sister's car didn't get off as lightly as your truck. She was also able to drive hers away, but my brother in-law said it was leaking trans fluid on the road. She lived not too far away, so MAYBE didn't ruin her trans by running it dry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)