Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP my sister's Camry Hybrid

RIP my sister's Camry Hybrid

Name:  Image.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  99.6 KB

My sister bought it new in 2007. I once got 70+ MPG on a round trip driving in ideal suburban conditions.

2 nights ago, a young woman rang the doorbell at 1:30 in the morning and said, "Sorry, I just smashed into your car."

Young woman's car (brand new VW Tiquan) was ON THEIR LAWN. (Also smoked the kids' basketball net.)

She said she was "emotional and distracted". Everyone thinks that means: distracted by her phone.

Don't text & drive, kids.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (11-29-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Glad to hear that happened at 1:30 AM, and not PM. Seems like it's not safe to play outside on your lawn these days!

So many screen distractions. People need to start wearing a watch haha! Detox from phones, "my name is x, and I'm an addict to tech." Or have mandatory driver's training with manual transmissions on cars with no screens. I mean she may have also been listening to an audiobook on top of her phone screen, and car screen. It's like quadruple whammys, almost like AI really is taking over the real life of people.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Name:  Image.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  99.6 KB

My sister bought it new in 2007. I once got 70+ MPG on a round trip driving in ideal suburban conditions.

2 nights ago, a young woman rang the doorbell at 1:30 in the morning and said, "Sorry, I just smashed into your car."

Young woman's car (brand new VW Tiquan) was ON THEIR LAWN. (Also smoked the kids' basketball net.)

She said she was "emotional and distracted". Everyone thinks that means: distracted by her phone.

Don't text & drive, kids.
    That's a bummer!

My sister agrees.

Good news: they'll probably get more for the car from insurance than they could get if they sold/traded.

Bad news: used/new cars cost more right now, and selection isn't as good. Bad time to buy!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    My sister agrees.

Good news: they'll probably get more for the car from insurance than they could get if they sold/traded.

Bad news: used/new cars cost more right now, and selection isn't as good. Bad time to buy!
    A good friend of mine had her 2008 Camry V6 smacked tonight. She was coming into the edge of town (40 mph zone), and a guy driving a full size Chevy pickup truck makes a left turn right into her. He was hauled off in handcuffs (which may or may not indicate his condition). I went to pick her up, & the tow truck was picking up the two vehicles. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt, but I think she's feeling more aches & pains as her adrenaline wears off tonight.

I fear the same thing for her. She only had liability on her car, and she is at the mercy of the other person's insurance. She just put $700 into her car last week (new tires/alignment), and finding a decent, affordable replacement will be extremely hard. The last thing she needs is a car payment, & I am afraid this event may cause that for her (regardless of the insurance outcome).

Texting or drinking - don't do it & drive!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    I crunched an Altima in a very similar way (damage wise) with my 7,140 pound Dodge Ram. We were moving and the Altima in front of me got cut-off in traffic by a local law enforcement official. The guy in the Altima over-exaggerated how bad he was cut-off by coming to a complete stop. He was cut-off, but not to the point of needing to completely stop. I let my focus drift to the word MARSHALL on the side of the pick-up truck that cut off the Altima that I hadn't notice come to said complete stop. I was thinking of how big an assface that Marshall was to have pulled that move, I re-concentrate and notice HOLY CRAP! I yanked left and stomped the brake pedal all the way to the radiator. But to no avail. A 3/4 ton truck doesn't stop or swerve on a dime and CRUNCH.

I felt really bad about that. It had been a decent looking Altima. My front right tire is what did the majority of the damage to that Altima.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I once got 70+ MPG on a round trip driving in ideal suburban conditions.
    That is really admirable. It is shocking to me that these cars which I once would have never EVER considered owning now have me watching FB Marketplace for low mile grandma examples of. Fantastic mileage aside, they are pretty much bulletproof. I did a tire test with a big Taxi company in Orlando and was really impressed to learn that the Camry Hybrid is heralded right alongside if not higher than the King Crown Vic.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The guy in the Altima over-exaggerated how bad he was cut-off by coming to a complete stop.
    So, maybe technically the collision wasn't the ALtima's fault, but in reality it sure was.

The driving school I worked for used to drill rear crash awareness/avoidance into its students. Any slowdown or stop (especially an unexpected one) puts you at risk of exactly what happened to you.

I was recently a passenger in a car that hit a deer on a freeway, and the driver continued braking to a COMPLETE STOP after the impact!! (Right lane.) "PULL OFF THE ROAD QUICK!" I might have yelled.

My front right tire is what did the majority of the damage to that Altima.
    Not too much truck damage then?

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    these cars which I once would have never EVER considered owning now have me watching FB Marketplace for low mile grandma examples of. Fantastic mileage aside, they are pretty much bulletproof. I did a tire test with a big Taxi company in Orlando and was really impressed to learn that the Camry Hybrid is heralded right alongside if not higher than the King Crown Vic.
    What kind of tire test? Longevity?

There were a LOT of hybrid Camry taxis in Toronto at one point. For some reason (pricing?), in Canada the Camry hybrid outsold the Prius. I know of 4 people who owned them (2 relatives).

My sister's Camry drivetrain has been reliable... I think she's got around 250k km = 155k miles. It does burn oil though, which is surprising. (Maintained by the book.) Front control arms (bushings) wore out pretty early too. A grandma example would probably be a good bet.

I'd still go for a Prius, myself. So much more practical with the hatch, if you don't mind the styling.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    That is really admirable. It is shocking to me that these cars which I once would have never EVER considered owning now have me watching FB Marketplace for low mile grandma examples of. Fantastic mileage aside, they are pretty much bulletproof. I did a tire test with a big Taxi company in Orlando and was really impressed to learn that the Camry Hybrid is heralded right alongside if not higher than the King Crown Vic.
    Oh, I forgot to mention, the pictured Camry seats were MY RESPONSIBILITY. I hope all were comfortable.

And wow, 70 mpg! Even while under ideal conditions, I would have not guessed that was possible. I have a 2003 Camry LE 4 cylinder, 4 speed Auto (best auto trans I've ever driven).

One time I loaded that sucker full of luggage and my 3 sons and I went from Atlanta to Miami. I didn't want them to get all naggy / complainy / uncomfortable, so I ran the dog-pooh out of it to get the ride over with AQAP. At least compared to my normal driving, this was running the dog-pooh out of it ... as I normally just toodle along everywhere I go. 80 mph cruise control set the whole way, and full A/C running the whole way (it was summer, 90°+ the whole time). Not one complaint, we had a great time. And running the dog-pooh out of it (fully loaded, A/C blasting, 80 mph the whole way), it still got 31.3 mpg! I'll never forget it. And it never gave any indication it was near its limits. It felt like it could easily handle more.

We stopped on the way down there. I wanted to spend the night near our cruise ship departing location so we wouldn't be late. But on the way back, we blasted straight through in 1 trip. Seems like it was about 11 hours worth. Not one complaint. The drive was so pleasant. Camrys are the best car out there. I know how much the Japanese beat themselves up over that car, and how much pressure they put on us to get it right. And we did.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)