Thread: success cloning TPMS with Autel MaxiTPMS PAD

Country
    United States
    Thanks

success cloning TPMS with Autel MaxiTPMS PAD

So far the TPMS sensors on my 2014 Mirage are still working but I wanted to be ready if they decide to fail.

After some looking around I settled on the MaxiTPMS PAD tool from Autel. This needs a windows computer to hook to but can read the ID's from the factory sensors and clone them to new Autel TPMS sensors.

For me, a small hassle is that I don't have a windows laptop (we like chromebooks for basic laptop duty) so I had to lug my bigger PC and monitor out to the garage.

I was a little worried about reading the existing sensors installed in the wheels but I got a successful read on the first try every time. After the existing sensor ID is read it is easy to clone it to the new Autel sensor using the PAD. This tool only writes to Autel sensors but this is fine for my needs.

The pad cost me a little more than $60 off ebay.

The sensors cost me a little more than $90 for a set of 4 (vampa tire) off ebay.

I wrote the IDs and tire locations on the new sensor boxes. If I rotate my tires then I will need to remember to update this. This only matters if I replace a single sensor since I am not sure what happens if the system sees multiple of the same ID and want to avoid this.

If I get new tires I will ask them to install the new sensors at the same time to save future hassle.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pawpaw For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-30-2021),daleWV (11-29-2021),inuvik (11-29-2021),Mark (11-29-2021),Top_Fuel (11-29-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
    So far the TPMS sensors on my 2014 Mirage are still working but I wanted to be ready if they decide to fail.

After some looking around I settled on the MaxiTPMS PAD tool from Autel. This needs a windows computer to hook to but can read the ID's from the factory sensors and clone them to new Autel TPMS sensors.

For me, a small hassle is that I don't have a windows laptop (we like chromebooks for basic laptop duty) so I had to lug my bigger PC and monitor out to the garage.

I was a little worried about reading the existing sensors installed in the wheels but I got a successful read on the first try every time. After the existing sensor ID is read it is easy to clone it to the new Autel sensor using the PAD. This tool only writes to Autel sensors but this is fine for my needs.

The pad cost me a little more than $60 off ebay.

The sensors cost me a little more than $90 for a set of 4 (vampa tire) off ebay.

I wrote the IDs and tire locations on the new sensor boxes. If I rotate my tires then I will need to remember to update this. This only matters if I replace a single sensor since I am not sure what happens if the system sees multiple of the same ID and want to avoid this.

If I get new tires I will ask them to install the new sensors at the same time to save future hassle.
    I wouldn't replace a sensor before it dies. I am still waiting for one of my factory sensors to die on my 2011 Subaru Forester, & that hasn't happened yet. If I replaced sensors every time I changed tires, I am just throwing money away. A sensor may outlast 2 or 3 tires? Who knows? Tires are expensive enough these days. I don't want add the cost of new sensors every time I change them, too!

If one does die, a tire shop should be able to exchange your new cloned one with the original factory sensor without much issue. I don't think the tire has to be completely removed from the rim or balanced again.

Your Mirage has four TMPS codes. If you want your TPMS dash light off, it needs to recognize all four codes. Thus, duplicating a code would mean one of the four codes is missing (& dash light will come on).

As far as rotating tires goes, I wouldn't worry about where the codes are. If you have them written down, you can just check which ones are still working & figure out which one is not working at that time.

I really like my Autel TS408 unit. It costs about twice as much (paid around $122 with free shipping), however. In my case, I don't own a PC computer. I also like the portability of what I have. If I had a PC laptop, I could see going the cheaper route. Thanks for sharing how well it works!

They do read the codes quite quickly, programming a new sensor doesn't take long, & I really like that the Autel sensors can be reprogrammed several times to various codes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
    That's what I do. When my TPMS sensors reach a certain age (usually 5+ years for me), I just replace them at the same time I'm having new tires installed. I've had OEM sensors that seemed to last forever...but I've also had ones that crapped out after 3 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Looking at the Autel MaxiTPMS PAD, I'd say you made a good purchase, along with the MX 1- Sensors. There's no doubt about it. You wouldn't believe how a box of 20 MX 1-Sensors get sold out in an instant, especially winter tire season.