Thread: Cheap Mirage Upgrades

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Cheap Mirage Upgrades

I have a used (86k) 2019 mirage 4-dr (non-hatchback) and I have 2 goals for it, possibly 3):
    -turbocharge it/engine swap/air filter upgrade/etc
    -as fuel efficient as humanly possible even though I have the best version I could for a 19’ already
    -if I don’t sell it for a project car when I have the money, I would be upgrading the hell out of it and want to know what CAN be done

My original project was a 92’ civic, what customizations can’t I do on a 19’ or newer mirage that I can do on a civic?

Welcome!

What major mods did you do to your Civic? Was it the same goal as the Mirage: fuel efficient + ??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage is not a good platform for performance mods, especially in the west. Apparently there is an "okay" modding community in ASEAN countries, but those people rarely stray onto the English speaking parts of the internet, so I wish you the best of luck getting info and parts. You are much better off just getting a Mazda Miata or going back to the '92 Civic if performance modding is what you are into.

Just about the only things performance-wise you should be doing to a Mirage (unless you have huge amounts of excess time and money) are adding a rear sway bar, putting wider wheels/tires on it, and adding sound dampening to the interior. The last one is a huge PITA but will greatly increase the "acoustic performance" of the car and make it so you can at least hear yourself think while at speed.

If you are rich, have a degree in mechanical engineering, and can fabricate custom parts, program ECU's, work on engines, do major body work, and also paint, well then you can do a complete drivetrain swap and get the i4 and AWD out of an EVO and mash them into the Mirage. A Polish company called Dytko does exactly that.
    Last edited by PityOnU; 11-30-2021 at 04:22 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

88coltturbo (12-01-2021),MetroMPG (11-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    If you are rich,
    Those 4 words alone probably eliminated 99+% of most typical Mirage owners.

I doubt rich people give cars like the Mirage much thought, unless they have an obsession about cheering for the underdog!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

daleWV (12-02-2021),mohammad (12-24-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    make it so you can at least hear yourself think while at speed.
    I find it curious that anyone finds the Mirage loud. But I can understand it. I just gave my mother-in-law a 220 mile ride mostly on the interstate and she had no complaints. I find it bothersome only in as much as I have to turn up the radio, and lose radio fidelity to the background noise. That's it. It can be a bit of a nuisance compared to my Lexus LS. However, it's a quiet delight compared to my Cummins powered Ram. With the Ram I drop the windows and resign myself to enjoy all the racket.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Questions of noise & comfort are relative & hugely subjective.

Yes, you can measure decibels. But if you're coming off a summer spent driving around a 30 year-old Miata, trust me, switching to a Mirage feels like the lap of luxury... the height of refinement.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-24-2023),mohammad (01-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Questions of noise & comfort are relative & hugely subjective.

Yes, you can measure decibels. But if you're coming off a summer spent driving around a 30 year-old Miata, trust me, switching to a Mirage feels like the lap of luxury... the height of refinement.
    I don't set the bar that high! I compare car noise to a motorcycle with a fairing up front!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-25-2023),MetroMPG (12-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One inexpensive mode I did on my 2015 ES was to put larger front rotors from a 2018 Mirage I found in the Junk yard. I did not need new rotors BUT for about $50 in 2022 I bought rotors and a caliper bracket. So if one is in need of new rotors then only the caliper bracket would be the extra cost.