Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Adding second fuel filter is possible

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  89.1 KB

Just thought I'd share my experiment with the community.

Recently I was looking into the process of changing the fuel filters in these cars as I was approaching 150 thousand km which is the interval for change according to mitsubishi books, as is common these days the fuel "filter" is a sock that fits onto the bottom of the pump, which sits inside the fuel tank. As I investigated getting a replacement so I could change mine I came up rather short, worldwide I found one seller(1) on the site lazada.com which appears to be an ebay clone serving asia/malaysia/philippines, after contacting the seller they were not interested in supplying me in australia, dead end.

I then contacted my closest mitsubishi parts supplier which serves all dealerships locally, they informed me that the filter was not sold separately and the entire fuel pump was the only way for me to source a new filter sock, at 321 dollars this was not something I was really interested in.

It seemed changing the sock was no good, which in a way was nice because I didn't really fancy taking the pump out every time to change the filter anyway. I then decided I would add my own filter to the car, I thought about hacking into the fuel line, but I didn't fancy this as metal shavings may get into the line that way.

Name:  22222.png
Views: 104
Size:  44.4 KB

Positioning was also something to work out, if I wasn't going to add it where the metal pipe goes from the fuel tank to the engine bay, I could only add it either in the very limited space near the fuel tank or in the engine bay itself. The fuel tank placement was ruled out because of no room, the engine bay idea was considered for a while even though I was concerned about potential fuel leaks in the engine bay could lead to disaster. In any case I couldn't seem to separate the flexible pipe off the end of the metal fuel line in the engine bay. After these had been ruled out I opted to run my own fuel line from the pump all the way to the injectors. I bought some 5 meter 8mm ID high pressure EFI hose(2) for 70 dollars and some hose clamps, I'd imagined that I could just disconnect the current connectors on the injectors and fuel pump and slip the 8mm hose over and clamp them, this wasn't possible and I did try quite hard to fit the EFI hose over the flat rings that existed on the injector assembly.

Name:  s-l16002.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  81.6 KB

I ended up going to a wreckers and getting the special connectors for both the injector and fuel pump at a cost of 20 dollars, I then had to carefully extract the connectors from the special hose that connects them to the metal fuel hose, which I then pressed into the new 8mm hose without fuss and added hose clamps, everything went well and then I was able to add the fuel filter anywhere I wanted. I opted for a location near the rear wheel but tucked up between the fuel tank and car body. This will make for an extremely easy replacement for the next time I wish to change the filter. I can also return the car to stock if I so desire because the old fuel line and connectors are still intact, which was a consideration if the additional fuel filter caused problems, which it has not.

I've been driving for around 6 months now with an additional fuel filter and have noticed no adverse effects at any speed or rpm. I was worried that adding another filter might cause fuel starvation, but as I say, seems fine.

The filter I added is a Donaldson Fuel Filter P550012 which was approx 16 dollars its specifications are 40 micron Media Type Cellulose.

If anyone asks why, I'd rather any possible contaminates get caught by a filter than injector and this way I don't have to disassemble the fuel pump ever, because even if the filter brakes down and is pumped through it will get caught by my second filter.

If people would like more pictures of connections ect ask and I'll provide.

Name:  S1a183ed6502044fe88630d2979a1a7caK.jpg
Size:  91.7 KB
    ^ stock fuel filter
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Size:  31.4 KB
    ^second additional fuel filter
    Name:  20231231_184350.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  73.7 KB
    ^installed
    Name:  20240101_030016.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  49.5 KB
    ^new fuel line to injectors
    Name:  20240101_030901.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  55.4 KB
    ^new fuel line from fuel pump
    Name:  thumbnail_image003.png
Views: 114
Size:  62.4 KB
    ^part no schematic
    Name:  thumbnail_image001.png
Views: 102
Size:  24.7 KB
    ^schematic sent by Mits with quote for pump

car is 2015 mirage LA

1 https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/m...list.2&stock=1

2 https://checkout.sparesbox.com.au/pr...mm-hph-080-05m

https://www.tiperformance.com.au/pro...-fuel-hose-5m/

https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-...05M/p/SP204241

Last edited by skyblueII; 01-06-2024 at 03:10 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skyblueII For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-31-2023),inuvik (12-31-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Would you have pictures of where you by passed the line?

If you were to return to stock, did you cap the old line on both ends? My concern would be debris getting in the old line if it is not capped.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    Would you have pictures of where you by passed the line?

If you were to return to stock, did you cap the old line on both ends? My concern would be debris getting in the old line if it is not capped.
    Ill take some pictures soon, I didn't bother capping it as I figured if I was ever going to use it I would blast it out before using it again, but I probably should cap it because it might corrode if water gets in there, then again I doubt it'll ever get used again.

The line is completely bypassed, I ran a new line from EFI hose from the fuel pump nipple all the way to the injector nipple.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skyblueII For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-31-2023),inuvik (12-31-2023),mohammad (01-01-2024)