Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginning of the end of the Mirage?

No argument from me: Mitsubishi dealers in North America NEED an entry level product. They can't simply abandon the Mirage's slot in their meagre lineup.

I just think they're far more likely to end up with a rebadged Versa or Micra/March or Kicks than a Mitsu-designed economy car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    No argument from me: Mitsubishi dealers in North America NEED an entry level product. They can't simply abandon the Mirage's slot in their meagre lineup.

I just think they're far more likely to end up with a rebadged Versa or Micra/March or Kicks than a Mitsu-designed economy car.
    Instead of wedging an Eclipse Cross between their Outlander Sport & Outlander, Mitsubishi should have done a Kicks type vehicle. I honestly believe it would have been a much bigger hit for them.

What you are saying could very well happen. They may try to beef up their entry level offering and discard the Mirage in the process some day. You could be right. It may happen sooner than we realize. The new Outlander is the beginning of the end for Mitsubishi in my opinion.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I did a bit of Google-Fu and couldn't find any major upcoming changes to the FMVSS list that would keep the Mirage from being sold here. Mitsubishi is known for stretching out the life of their products as far as they can and pricing them to compete.

Fuel economy and/or emissions aren't much of a threat to take the Mirage off of American highways, and unless some Ozzie-style law is passed requiring the car to resist tree attacks I can't see why it would be discontinued when other manufacturers are rapidly gifting the entire US econo-car market to Mitsubishi.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-06-2021),MetroMPG (12-06-2021)

Mitsubishi is known for stretching out the life of their product
    Well they're sticking to that pattern with the 6g Mirage platform! It's already been a decade since it was designed. The 10-year anniversary of mass production is coming up in a few months.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...20-2012-launch

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    What if some Nissans are rebadged Mitsubishis though? Food for thought.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Having been in the automotive field (doesn't make me an expert), I would guess that Mitsubishi would not discontinue the *CURRENT* Mirage in the U.S. / North America until regulations may force it out.

What would seem more logical (to me) is that Mitsubishi would limp the current model along until it dies of natural causes or it is regulated out. I say that because the minor model change of the 2021 just cost Mitsubishi a fair amount of money. Most auto companies amortize cost recovery on a 3 year basis. That's not to say they don't make their money back sooner than that, but that's how they count the beans ... typically.

And since electric vehicles are on their way to ruin everything, why develop a whole new gas model Mirage? The current model will be amortized completely soon, why not just keep producing it and stacking paper until it is just not viable any longer? I surmise, I could be wrong. I'm still on the band wagon that a pure electric vehicle blows. But a hybrid (especially like the Volt) is far superior. The
    benefits of the electric vehicle with the advantages of the gas vehicle to overcome the obstacle(s) of the electric vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-06-2021),seb_fr_62 (12-09-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Having been in the automotive field (doesn't make me an expert), I would guess that Mitsubishi would not discontinue the *CURRENT* Mirage in the U.S. / North America until regulations may force it out.

What would seem more logical (to me) is that Mitsubishi would limp the current model along until it dies of natural causes or it is regulated out. I say that because the minor model change of the 2021 just cost Mitsubishi a fair amount of money. Most auto companies amortize cost recovery on a 3 year basis. That's not to say they don't make their money back sooner than that, but that's how they count the beans ... typically.

And since electric vehicles are on their way to ruin everything, why develop a whole new gas model Mirage? The current model will be amortized completely soon, why not just keep producing it and stacking paper until it is just not viable any longer? I surmise, I could be wrong. I'm still on the band wagon that a pure electric vehicle blows. But a hybrid (especially like the Volt) is far superior. The
    benefits of the electric vehicle with the advantages of the gas vehicle to overcome the obstacle(s) of the electric vehicle.
    The Nissan Frontier went 17 years without a major update until recently, & it's probably the only Nissan I would have been remotely interested in the past 10 years.

If the Mirage is replaced some day, it will most likely happen like Darin has stated. If Nissan decides they want to bring the Micra to North America, a cloned one could replace the Mirage.

Unless electric cars used battery packs that could be quickly exchanged at charging stations throughout the country, I don't see the appeal of an electric vehicle for someone like myself. I would embrace a hybrid, but what are the odds of a 5-speed manual hybrid?

I must admit that I am a very content Mirage owner. It will most likely allow me to live 10-15 years without having the need to buy another vehicle or have a car payment. Since buying my Mirage in 2017, I've never had a moment when I wished I owned something else. It does exactly what I want a small economy car to do (be affordable to purchase, be super reliable, and economical to drive/own).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (12-06-2021),Wil B (12-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Nissan Frontier went 17 years without a major update until recently
    I hadn't realized that. Thanks for the info. The Lexus LS 460 went 11 ~ 12 years. 2007 model (SOP 2006), through the 2017 model year (produced into 2017, so maybe 11 years). I could only speculate why it was produced for so long. Then they ruined the LS with the current one.

It does exactly what I want a small economy car to do (be affordable to purchase, be super reliable, and economical to drive/own).
    100% agree with your sentiment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The Nissan Frontier went 17 years without a major update until recently, & it's probably the only Nissan I would have been remotely interested in the past 10 years.

If the Mirage is replaced some day, it will most likely happen like Darin has stated. If Nissan decides they want to bring the Micra to North America, a cloned one could replace the Mirage.

Unless electric cars used battery packs that could be quickly exchanged at charging stations throughout the country, I don't see the appeal of an electric vehicle for someone like myself. I would embrace a hybrid, but what are the odds of a 5-speed manual hybrid?

I must admit that I am a very content Mirage owner. It will most likely allow me to live 10-15 years without having the need to buy another vehicle or have a car payment. Since buying my Mirage in 2017, I've never had a moment when I wished I owned something else. It does exactly what I want a small economy car to do (be affordable to purchase, be super reliable, and economical to drive/own).
    I'd snatch up a rebadged Nissan Micra in a second. Doesn't it come with a traditional auto trans? Call it the Mitsubishi Zero-sen after its legendary fighter plane. Call me crazy but Mitsubishi really needs to play up on the fact it designs great fighter planes like the new stealth Shin-Shin fighter. Saab did this marketing ploy to great effect IMO. Or Mitsubishi could play up on Japan's Samurai period of the warring states. Some names Mitsu could use include, Katana, Shiruken, Ronin, Daimo, Shogun (bring that one back), etc. Or **** bring back the Cyborg!

The average car buyer just doesn't care about cars like the Mirage. They want SUVs, crossovers, trucks and they're willing to pay whatever price. If the Mirage got replaced by a bigger, heavier, less fuel efficient, rebadged Nissan i would no longer be interested. I would look for the next best thing that has the lowest cost of ownership/operation. Meanwhile I'd just hold onto my Mirage.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-06-2021)