Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginning of the end of the Mirage?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Beginning of the end of the Mirage?

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...-hatch-in-2022

Looks Australia is abandoning the Mirage due to failed new safety requirements. Could North America follow suit?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (12-05-2021),dragon2knight (12-05-2021),MetroMPG (12-06-2021),mohammad (12-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...-hatch-in-2022

Looks Australia is abandoning the Mirage due to failed new safety requirements. Could North America follow suit?

If Mitsubishi rebadges a Nissan and calls it a Mirage, I'm going back to Honda. All good things come to an end, I guess.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    If Mitsubishi rebadges a Nissan and calls it a Mirage, I'm going back to Honda. All good things come to an end, I guess.
    I think the high gas prices and inflation will bring a resurgence of the sub-compact. Mirage passed US safety standards, it might hold on here. I sure hope so. I would buy a Nissan that was a Mitsu rebadge

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Have Nissan rebadge the Mirage. Call it the Nissan Push or a Nissan Cub. Lol As long as it's a Mitsubishi designed powertrain, I'm good.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (09-01-2022)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    "ADR 85/00 requires new vehicles to meet stricter rules around protection from side-impact collisions with narrow objects like poles and trees."
    I know Australia has a rather different fauna, but apparently they also have strange trees. That can just hit you from the side.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (12-05-2021),seb_fr_62 (12-09-2023)

We all knew this day would come when our beloved little Mirage would come to end of production. I didn't think safety regulations would speed this up. In the US we are still getting 2022s in 2022. Finances permitting, I'd like to own a new Mirage before production ends. The Mirage might be my last internal combustion engine vehicle i own before i switch over to electric, again.

Imagine an electric Mirage with 250-300 miles of winter range and a heat pump. Sounds like Tesla's upcoming compact EV to me.
    Last edited by davidricardo86; 12-05-2021 at 06:07 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    We all knew this day would come when our beloved little Mirage would come to end of production. I didn't think safety regulations would speed this up. In the US we are still getting 2022s in 2022. Finances permitting, I'd like to own a new Mirage before production ends. The Mirage might be my last internal combustion engine vehicle i own before i switch over to electric, again.

Imagine an electric Mirage with 250-300 miles of winter range and a heat pump. Sounds like Tesla's upcoming compact EV to me.
    Keep in mind the article is about only the Australian market. We could see the Mirage stay on here for a few more years.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post

I don't think this is end of production, insomuch as they're just not selling Mirages in Australia anymore because they don't meet safety standards.

Not really a good thing about Mitsubishi Mirages lol. I always have said Mirages are too small for American/Canadian roads. People have obvious objections to this point. Isn't it also true the Mirage only comes with 2 airbags in some countries? Now that's terrible.

Anyways I love Mirages and drive very proactively, however there are safer cars out there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I think the high gas prices and inflation will bring a resurgence of the sub-compact.
    I don't.

The auto industry has trained buyers to want to pay $5k more for lifted subcompacts (9 year loans, baby!), aka crossovers. Why would they go back?

Also, fuel economy outside of the econobox segment is much better than it used to be the last time fuel prices spiked sharply (around 2008/2009). Buyers are clearly saying "that's good enough" and buying little SUV's instead of reaching for the Mirage fuel economy crown.

As for what's going to happen to the Mirage, I'd wager on 2022 being the last model year for North America. We might see a rebadged Nissan in its place.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    As for what's going to happen to the Mirage, I'd wager on 2022 being the last model year for North America. We might see a rebadged Nissan in its place.
    I would take that wager, because I think Mitsubishi would be foolish to bail on the Mirage. They don't have that many vehicles to offer, & the Mirage fills a niche other companies have abandon. The Mirage still outsells the newer model Eclipse Cross by quite a bit. That, however, may not be saying much, because the Eclipse Cross has to be seen as sort of a new model bust.

Eclipse Cross sales figures
    2020 = 10,319 (down from 19,661 in 2019)
    2021 below
    Jan-March = 1,583
    April-June = 2,775
    July-Sept = 2,583

Mirage sales figures
    2020 = 19,136 (down from 26,966 in 2019)
    2021 below
    Jan-March = 6,932
    April-June = 6,790
    July-Sept = 4,867

I'm sure the big jump in price & low inventory isn't helping current Mirage sales, but it's still doing better than the Eclipse Cross. Mitsubishi offers decent products at a decent price. The main thing holding them back is a lousy dealership network. Their lack of dealerships in numbers doesn't help draw in new customers, & their poor customer service may drive away repeat customers.

If Mitsubishi becomes all rebadged Nissans, Mitsubishi no longer exists in my mind. That day may surely come. If that day does come, I see Mitsubishi becoming the next Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, or Scion.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-06-2021)