Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Insurance?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Canadian Insurance?

So I bought my fiancee a Mirage in American at Christmas. Me being an American we bought American DE trim.

Issue is now insurance. We just got a quote and it was $170 cad !!!

This is ridiculous. We're both on the insurance for american and its only $64. Can someone help me out.

I hate how Canada is pretty much just a scam of a country to live in. I dont get why all you Canadians don't bail out of there as quickly as possible.

Bail out?? What, and give up this weather?

---

I'm going to guess she lives in Ontario, the province where you find some of the highest insurance rates in the country.

$170 is monthly? How much did you shop around? I compare rates almost every year when mine's up for rewewal, and there are almost always better deals out there. EG: http://www.insurancehotline.com/ sometimes has better deals. But working through a brokerage got me my current (lowest) rate.

Also: raising your deductibles way up is one way to lower your rates.

I pay ~$55 a month for the most basic coverage on my 15 year old car: no collision damage, theft, fire or vandalism coverage. Just liability.

PS: Aren't you nice. Merry Christmas, here's a Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well im not in Canada I dont really know any Canadian companies. What seems to be the issue is you guys have such higher coverage standards. You apparently have to have a minimum of 1 MILLION DOLLARS! in coverage in ontario. Like serious. In North Carolina were we mostly stay the coverage minimum is 30,000 dollars...

If you could suggest some companies to look into i'll call and shop it around as much as possible.

Yeah, my broker thought I was a bit nuts for opting not to increase coverage above 1 million liability.

Try the link I posted. It's just a shopping site -- Fill in your particulars and it gives you a range of prices from 30 different companies, I think. I've used it before and got a competitive rate and went for a while with a company it recommended. I've since gone with an independent broker. But it's worth looking at.

I'd probably own more cars if insurance wasn't so expensive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My insurance runs about $1100/year and it doesn't much matter what sort of vehicle I have (up to $50k replacement value). That includes a $5 000 000 third party liability, full comprehensive collision/damage, and a $200 deductible which is reduced to zero in the event of glass damage or wildlife collisions.

I lived in the USA, all glorious and free and such, and the insurance I paid was less - though the insurance seller told me to get $20 000 liability as I was poor and thus couldn't really be sued. That would, of course, not help someone if I was in an accident and the other person was a quadriplegic for life. I think the extra liability ($1 000 000 is the minimum) might cost about $30 more per year. Great value, I think. Also, having a single insurer means that everyone has at least $1 000 000 liability and there is no need for the insurance companies to fight each other - just the one company determines who is entitled to what compensation and then pays it out (and raises/lowers rates accordingly). The freedom of choice in insurance comes at a cost, to be sure. Some people don't like a monopoly, but it seems to work here.

Here are our rates, should you care to compare: http://apps.mpi.mb.ca/Irc/intro_2.asp?Lang=0

And, with respect to your "scam of a country" idea, I would suggest that in the event of a major collision, with injuries, your $30 000 + all you have and will have would not equal the potential cost of the damage, the hospital bills (does everyone have universal health care in NC?) and the long term care expenses of a disabled person. Cars are potentially dangerous, so you have to pay to play. So, yeah, I suppose I take issue with you calling my country a scam, when really we just are responsible for one another.
    Last edited by Canoehead; 02-07-2014 at 05:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    My insurance runs about $1100/year and it doesn't much matter what sort of vehicle I have (up to $50k replacement value). That includes a $5 000 000 third party liability, full comprehensive collision/damage, and a $200 deductible which is reduced to zero in the event of glass damage or wildlife collisions.

I lived in the USA, all glorious and free and such, and the insurance I paid was less - though the insurance seller told me to get $20 000 liability as I was poor and thus couldn't really be sued. That would, of course, not help someone if I was in an accident and the other person was a quadriplegic for life. I think the extra liability ($1 000 000 is the minimum) might cost about $30 more per year. Great value, I think. Also, having a single insurer means that everyone has at least $1 000 000 liability and there is no need for the insurance companies to fight each other - just the one company determines who is entitled to what compensation and then pays it out (and raises/lowers rates accordingly). The freedom of choice in insurance comes at a cost, to be sure. Some people don't like a monopoly, but it seems to work here.

Here are our rates, should you care to compare: http://apps.mpi.mb.ca/Irc/intro_2.asp?Lang=0

And, with respect to your "scam of a country" idea, I would suggest that in the event of a major collision, with injuries, your $30 000 + all you have and will have would not equal the potential cost of the damage, the hospital bills (does everyone have universal health care in NC?) and the long term care expenses of a disabled person. Cars are potentially dangerous, so you have to pay to play. So, yeah, I suppose I take issue with you calling my country a scam, when really we just are responsible for one another.
    I didnt mean to come off harsh at all I just think its crazy how I have my evo and mirage covered in the states for less than just the mirage cost in Canada. Plus theres absolutely no denying the fact that in Canada you guys do get screwed on everything price wise.

24 pack of beer? $40 cad, $20 usd
    Gas 4.35 per gallon Cad, 3.20 usd
    Eat any fast food $10 per person CAD, 3 to 7 usd.

Its just a vastly more expensive place to live. Dont even let me get into how over priced housing is especially in Toronto. It makes LA look modest.

But Canada is a lovely country just far to over priced.

Anyways back to the issue at hand.

We've decided we're gonna live in the states. My question is, is there any insurance she can get until January for the mirage in Canada without paying to have the vehicle re registered in Canada as she will only be there for 4 months max.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    I didnt mean to come off harsh at all I just think its crazy how I have my evo and mirage covered in the states for less than just the mirage cost in Canada. Plus theres absolutely no denying the fact that in Canada you guys do get screwed on everything price wise.

24 pack of beer? $40 cad, $20 usd
    Gas 4.35 per gallon Cad, 3.20 usd
    Eat any fast food $10 per person CAD, 3 to 7 usd.

Its just a vastly more expensive place to live. Dont even let me get into how over priced housing is especially in Toronto. It makes LA look modest.

But Canada is a lovely country just far to over priced.

Anyways back to the issue at hand.

We've decided we're gonna live in the states. My question is, is there any insurance she can get until January for the mirage in Canada without paying to have the vehicle re registered in Canada as she will only be there for 4 months max.
    I'd like to help, but I have no idea. It would be Provincial legislation that determines what is required, and I am not from Ontario. It may be possible for you to register it and then "lend" it to her, or even for her to register it in the USA. I know sometimes there are exceptions for students and others who are living somewhere temporarily. Maybe call these folks: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...le/index.shtml

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    First off... $40 worth of American beer is nowhere near the worth of $6 of Canadian Ontario is insanely (!!) high for insurance. When I was 19, I was pricing out a Smart Car for insurance. Minimum quote was $580 (monthly) - $720 or so (full coverage)... Yeah. If you're a new driver in Ontario and want a new car, you'd better get one big enough to sleep in. I'm lucking out in Nova Scotia. My Civic was $380 in Ontario, dropped to $180 with a better company (stupid DGI scammers), and dropped to $58 out here! My new Mirage with $500 deductible collision, full comprehensive, million liability, and full replacement value for 2 years is costing me $76 a month.

I wanted a Yamaha R6 a few years back. Insurance company told me at 22 years old with a 42 over ticket, I'd be looking around $16 000 a year.... Vacation to Florida, guy had a 1000cc sports bike(can't remember what), and said it cost him just over $10 a month. I almost cried

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey Clessy:

How's your medical coverage down there?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-space View Post
    First off... $40 worth of American beer is nowhere near the worth of $6 of Canadian Ontario is insanely (!!) high for insurance. When I was 19, I was pricing out a Smart Car for insurance. Minimum quote was $580 (monthly) - $720 or so (full coverage)... Yeah. If you're a new driver in Ontario and want a new car, you'd better get one big enough to sleep in. I'm lucking out in Nova Scotia. My Civic was $380 in Ontario, dropped to $180 with a better company (stupid DGI scammers), and dropped to $58 out here! My new Mirage with $500 deductible collision, full comprehensive, million liability, and full replacement value for 2 years is costing me $76 a month.

I wanted a Yamaha R6 a few years back. Insurance company told me at 22 years old with a 42 over ticket, I'd be looking around $16 000 a year.... Vacation to Florida, guy had a 1000cc sports bike(can't remember what), and said it cost him just over $10 a month. I almost cried

Yeah im in Brampton right now. The reason the insurance is so expensive here is people are awful drivers. Like so overly aggressive. People trying to fit their huge trucks into a place that a motorcycle would fit. Constant tail riding. ****s crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Hey Clessy:

Btw a 6 pack of Canadians in Ontario is $12. A 6 pack of Canadians in the states is $6. So even beer made in Canada is still cheaper once its exported to the states :P

How's your medical coverage down there?
    Amazing. Cause its not free. I see a doctor when I want and get treated for what I want no matter how small or big. My wife on the other hand if shes not dying in we're in Canada she might as well take the next 2 days off if she wants to be seen.