Thread: 2014 DE 5spd Custom Exhaust

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2014 DE 5spd Custom Exhaust

Hey guys, nothing too crazy here but thought I'd share one of my recent mirage mods. Seems like right place to post? More entertaining than technical, but mods please move if need be.

https://youtu.be/mqMGluYoX_U

Enjoy!🙉hah

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burnt_toast For This Useful Post:

Basic (12-06-2021),inuvik (12-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds good. Not annoying, just good.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    A couple things: You better be careful Bubba, you're gonna blow that clutch out over-torqueing that sucker like that. These Mirages ain't no Tata Nano, these suckers lay down the big time torque!

I happen to know that it's very difficult to capture the true sound of an exhaust on a recording like yours. Which makes me wonder if yours sounds even better in real life than on the recording. It does sound good on the in-car recordings.

I want to mod my exhaust too but I just can't figure out a good solution ... for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not worried about it all. And does sound better in person. Made mistake of recording on left side, and even with cheap ph mic sure it would've captured better on the right side where exhaust actually exits. Glad for how vid turned out, considering pretty low effort lol

Are you in Atlanta GA? Can let you hear in person sometime, if so. By far the mildest exhaust mod I've ever done on any of my vehicles, but I'm mostly pleased with it. Will report more feedback after I've driven some more overall.
    Last edited by burnt_toast; 12-07-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm south of Atlanta, in Peachtree City. Dirk is somewhere near I-285 and I-75, on the north side ... I think. I would like to hear it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow that's crazy close, I'm down south too, not far from airport. Maybe we could do a small meetup on a weekend or something?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    Hey guys, nothing too crazy here but thought I'd share one of my recent mirage mods. Seems like right place to post? More entertaining than technical, but mods please move if need be.

https://youtu.be/mqMGluYoX_U

Enjoy!🙉hah
    I like the factory exhaust on the Mirage.

I sold my 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA in Korea, & sold by Ford) in 2004. I paid $5,300 for it brand new (after a $1,000 Ford rebate).

That car was on its 9th muffler (if you included the factory one) when I sold it. I am not making that up! I paid Midas for muffler #2 (lifetime warranty), and they put on 7 free ones after that. Most rusted out before 1.5 years. I don't miss that at all!

They blamed the lack of heat making it to the rear and moisture collecting in them. I watched them pour the water out of one, too!

A rusted out muffler may have given you the sound you wanted? I prefer a quiet muffler myself!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I like the factory exhaust on the Mirage.

I sold my 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA in Korea, & sold by Ford) in 2004. I paid $5,300 for it brand new (after a $1,000 Ford rebate).

That car was on its 9th muffler (if you included the factory one) when I sold it. I am not making that up! I paid Midas for muffler #2 (lifetime warranty), and they put on 7 free ones after that. Most rusted out before 1.5 years. I don't miss that at all!

They blamed the lack of heat making it to the rear and moisture collecting in them. I watched them pour the water out of one, too!

A rusted out muffler may have given you the sound you wanted? I prefer a quiet muffler myself!
    Very interesting info Mark. Little heat and water from the catalyst reaction. Makes sense. Back in the 90's I wouldn't have had a Festiva. Now, I wonder why. I've fallen in love with low cost vehicles. I can believe the heat part. I have a wide-band O2 sensor on my Scamp. It goes through a heating cycle to work right. In the Scamp, it is heated quickly, even idling from a cold start. I've put that sensor on my Honda Rebel 250, same thing, cold start idle, I'm not sure the sucker would ever warm up enough to work. It has to be ridden to build up enough heat. So yeah, I can see that issue for sure on your old Festiva.

If the Mirage was a 4 cylinder I wouldn't want to hear it. Low revving 4 cylinders sound the worst. I.E. a Civic with a fart can. But this 3-cylinder has a very interesting sound. Not that I would want it fart can loud. Just a touch louder than it is. I've considered all kind of exhaust mods. But nothing that I can think of satisfies what I would want to achieve (low cost / easy install / duplicability).

burnt toast - I'm fine with a meetup. Dirk has been mentioning he and I meet up. We haven't worked it out yet. But around Christmas time I'm going to have 2 weeks off work. However, I may have talked myself into a head gasket repair on a nephews pickup. I grew up straddling the state line between GA & TN in the Chattanooga area. So I go back and forth up to there frequently. Gonna have to go up there real soon with my Paw's pickup (that is now mine) and my utility trailer to bring back some stuff. I'm giving his house to my sister, and she being a typical female and is intent on tearing the house down to the foundation and rebuilding it back spending 10X as much money as she ought to. Whatever. I'm lucky my wife is not like that. Well, maybe she would be. But I'm so tight (with money) that my butt squeaks when I walk. I told her, when we pay the house off, we can spend the house payment on home improvements, but until then ... this is what it is. She fusses very little (about that anyway), so I'm lucky there.

Let's work something / some time out!