Thread: how often do forum members sell used mirages to other members

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

how often do forum members sell used mirages to other members

A weird specific question. I know there's a subforum just for wanted and sales; but I'm curious how often one forum member sells their used vehicle to another forum member.

In particular, I worry about buying a used low-price car, as, many people will mistreat such cars. However, even in just a day here, I can tell forum members care about their vehicles, and, as such, I'd feel way better about buying a used car from them.

I ask because I've noticed a lot of people suggesting they sell their used mirages to americans (and others saying they've already done so) and worry nobody would be willing to sell well used and cheap (under 1/3rd of original purchase price) mirage to a canadian.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thats a risk you run with any used car. If you can afford something say 3 years old then you'll still have a couple of years of warranty left if anything goes wrong. Also If you buy a Car-fax it will show some of the maintenance history. Id like to think if it runs the day you bought it it'll continue running for awhile. Do note that most maintenance other than oil changes isn't even applicable to alot of mirages, coolant, spark plugs are recommended after 8 years. You could buy a 2015 and still be ontime for the first coolant change.

Also note that used engines & transmissions are cheap in ontario but labour is expensive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pellaken View Post
    A weird specific question. I know there's a subforum just for wanted and sales; but I'm curious how often one forum member sells their used vehicle to another forum member.

In particular, I worry about buying a used low-price car, as, many people will mistreat such cars. However, even in just a day here, I can tell forum members care about their vehicles, and, as such, I'd feel way better about buying a used car from them.

I ask because I've noticed a lot of people suggesting they sell their used mirages to americans (and others saying they've already done so) and worry nobody would be willing to sell well used and cheap (under 1/3rd of original purchase price) mirage to a canadian.
    I haven't noticed the transfer of Mirages on the forum that often. Fummins bought an older, higher mileage Mirage from another forum member, but he's a mechanic who works on a fleet of 40 Mirages. He's replaced the engine/CVT since that time, but he did all the work himself.

Many members have bought parts from other members. When Dirk bought alloy wheels for his wife's G4, I bought a pair of steel rims from him. When someone sold their Mirage to a local dealership this past summer, I bought their rear Curt hitch for my Mirage.

Subcompact Culture tried to sell his nice, low mileage, 2017 5-speed manual on the forum. There were no takers. Eventually, he sold it to someone like Carvana this past summer. I think he got about $400 less than what he paid for it brand new. Not bad after 4 years of ownership!

A few members like Darin (who started this forum) has starting flipping Mirages, & he is from Canada. I don't think another forum member has bought one of his Mirages, however. He's flipped an older Honda Fit recently, too.

Forum members expressing their desire to sell their Mirage has come up, but I haven't seen a lot transactions between members. It would be a nice way to find a used Mirage, however.

If you are not in a hurry to buy a car, that will work in your favor. Good deals in Canada seem more plentiful than the States these days.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A few members like Darin (who started this forum) has starting flipping Mirages, & he is from Canada. I don't think another forum member has bought one of his Mirages, however. He's flipped an older Honda Fit recently, too.
    Im very interested in finding out more about how one can flip cars in ontario. with 13% sales tax its difficult to be profitable. also the need to have insurance here to get license plates makes it very difficult as its hard & expensive to find short term insurance policies.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Im very interested in finding out more about how one can flip cars in ontario. with 13% sales tax its difficult to be profitable. also the need to have insurance here to get license plates makes it very difficult as its hard & expensive to find short term insurance policies.
    I will let Darin (MetroMPG) explain that one. I just know the first few Mirages he has owned he has also sold.

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    mohammad, my pattern has been to buy & sell about a car a year - I've done this pretty much since I started driving. The motivation isn't to make money - it's more to try out different cars and learn about repairs & minor bodywork. I probably would have done it even if I only broke even.

So I don't have a special insurance policy and I don't need more than 1 set of plates.

I just watch for relatively cheap "as is" cars that don't (if I'm lucky) need too many repairs. Financially, I usually come out ahead, but I haven't made money on every single one. (I figure on average I've made about $700 per car.) Don't ask me my hourly wage. It's probably terrible.

But the end result is I've made a small amount of money in 3 decades of car ownership rather than spending a small fortune. EG. The money I made on my first 2 Mirages paid for my current one.

(The
    $800 Honda Fit that Mark mentioned ... I only owned it for a couple of months this year. That's unusual for me - the shortest I've ever owned a car.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Mark (12-11-2021),mohammad (12-10-2021)