Thread: OBD code P2138 Pedal Position Sensor

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation OBD code P2138 Pedal Position Sensor

Spot (2015 DE CVT 20k miles) suddenly would not accelerate beyond 3k RPM. Limped to a side street to check the oil level as an oil change was the latest action taken on the car. It was slightly over filled. The "Service Engine Soon" light was on. After shutting down and checking the oil it started and ran normally. Drove home, went through the clear service reminder and reset service interval routine and found this with the OBD;
    "P2138 Code: Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch D/E Voltage "
    It appeared twice. Clearing it turned the Service Engine light off.
    After a 20 minute drive the throttle once again cut back and limped home. The code was back and the service light was on again. There is an aftermarket cruise installed so I removed it and cleared the code. The light goes out, the car starts and runs normally but the code comes back. Clear the code, shut the ignition off and back on, re-scan and the code is back. This could be wire harness, sensor, computer or gremlins. I believe it's an indication that the redundant pedal sensor is not reading the same or the transmission and the engine don't agree Has anyone seen this problem? Any hunches as to were the problem is? Hate to take it to the Stealer Ship but it may be necessary.
    Thanks for any thoughts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Check the electrical wiring behind the kick panel. That connector is known to get fouled from corrosion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (12-09-2021)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    @bemeana.. do you have any device like throttle controller plugged into the pedal sensor?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    @bemeana.. do you have any device like throttle controller plugged into the pedal sensor?
    There was a Rostra cruise control hooked up and working. Removed it in preparation for going to the dealership. The code remained. Drove the car for 15 miles after that without incident. After reading your post ran another scan. The code is gone. You could be on to something. Good call. Thanks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bmeana For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (12-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue and also have the rostra cruise control.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Even occurred after cleaning the pedal contacts so the Rostra was removed. The limp mode has never occurred again since removing it. I will not re-install it as this could be a potential hazard. Some people jump into traffic and depend on the acceleration to avoid conflict.