Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrecked my Mirage....... UPDATE: bought another one

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    My guess is the other driver had the last clear chance to avoid the accident, unless they were speeding, driving recklessly, impaired or distracted.
    Ive realized we are in different locations. Where i am the driver that changes lanes takes full responsibility.(unless you can prove the crash was intentional)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Sorry to hear about this. Hope you’re okay.

Isn’t the other driver responsible for a rear-end collision? It might be worth looking at the other driver’s mobile phone usage and vehicle black-box data at the time of the accident.
    Thank you Eggman. This was completely my fault and that was the first thing I told the police. They issued me a improper changing lane citation so its all on record now, no going back with the insurance company.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    He probably changed lanes into him, side swiping him. making him responsible(just my guess)
    That's what happened.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Don't spend $8K fixing that thing and don't run out and buy a new car, either. Just get it driving so you can take some time and think about it. Cut that deployed airbag out (wear a mask and some gloves), slap a used eBay taillight on it, and tape the bumper cover on. Boom...you'll be back on the road for under $100 and about 2 hours of work.

I'm with 7milesout. You don't have to get it all fixed at one time.

Here's a start...

Attachment 22510
    This is solid advice as well thank you Cobra. Really feeling the love on here fellas thank you. I talked it over with the wife and a new Mirage is in our budget if we can't save the green hornet. I mentioned about trying to just get it out on the road again like you posted earlier and she is dead set against that for safety reasons. My neck now is just starting to ache some and my head has a bruise from smacking it against the seat belt adjuster, so she's in full "Mother Hen" mode. I'm going to Maaco to see if they'll even work on it for me tomorrow morning so I'll post updates.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    mohammed - Georgia, is a little more kind of take care of yourself, in a lot of ways. If Dirk has the title (which I suspect he does) and he has the car, or it is located at a shop under his control (which I suspect is the case), the car and the title are his to decide what to do with, all on his own.
    Yes, the car is completely paid off thank god. 7miles, I imagine your like a lot of southerners, including myself, that enjoy reading thru auto trader magazine. If you see CVT Mirage deals or any good Corolla/Yaris deals, shout me a holler down would ya?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    This is solid advice as well thank you Cobra. Really feeling the love on here fellas thank you. I talked it over with the wife and a new Mirage is in our budget if we can't save the green hornet. I mentioned about trying to just get it out on the road again like you posted earlier and she is dead set against that for safety reasons. My neck now is just starting to ache some and my head has a bruise from smacking it against the seat belt adjuster, so she's in full "Mother Hen" mode. I'm going to Maaco to see if they'll even work on it for me tomorrow morning so I'll post updates.
    im confused, if the curtain airbag deployed how did you hit your head on the seal belt adjuster?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    im confused, if the curtain airbag deployed how did you hit your head on the seal belt adjuster?
    It deployed on the passengers side.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would just try to watch your blindspots and mirrors, but things happen an instant when you're driving, from something to something else. I always try to remember the brand of the vehicle driving behind me. Especially on the freeway you get a sense of the other drivers pretty fast. Atlanta traffic is something different. Whole other ball game right.

Anyway new OTD for $18 USD: I dunno, seems less than in Canada would cost. I'd get a 5 speed if I were you, one of those cool yellow ones if you can find it. No car is gonna be reasonably priced these days. Go with your oddball car colour choices like yellow. Maybe save the rims. Not many new car options on the economy end of things it seems. I may or may not be willing to sell my own Mirage but that is a pain in the logistics area.
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-17-2021 at 08:13 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Although the damage doesn't look very good, I very much think it can be fixed well enough for you to continue driving it for years. It doesn't have to be repaired as new, but things can be straightend out enough for it to run with no problems. It doesn't have to look like new, but just be inconspicuous, good enough!. Of course the plastic parts would need to be replaced. Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Don't spend $8K fixing that thing and don't run out and buy a new car, either. Just get it driving so you can take some time and think about it. Cut that deployed airbag out (wear a mask and some gloves), slap a used eBay taillight on it, and tape the bumper cover on. Boom...you'll be back on the road for under $100 and about 2 hours of work.

I'm with 7milesout. You don't have to get it all fixed at one time.

Here's a start...

Attachment 22510
    Really sorry to hear this, man!

I completely agree with Top...if the rear alignment is still mostly in spec. Were it my car, I'd replace the rear bumper support with a straight one, then take the car to a body shop to have the quarter pulled out and straightened enough to attach a tail light. No need for putty or paint. Maybe I'd throw on a replacement bumper cover.

She don't have to be pretty to be street legal.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-17-2021)