Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrecked my Mirage....... UPDATE: bought another one

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    She don't have to be pretty to be street legal.
    Yuup. Boosts street credibility and makes it less of a theft target.

No one’s going to mess around with a Thunderdome hooptie.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Yes! Life in Atlanta is approaching THUNDERDOME!

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I wanted to mention, air bags are actually quite simple. Outside of the horrifically powerful chemical reaction, they are very simple. Since your curtain air bag deployed, likely that trim piece is loosened / popped out / possibly damaged.

All you really have to do is A) DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY, B) pay close attention to how you remove the deployed airbag. It's just held in with bolts. And C) reinstall the new one, connect it and you're good to go.

However, there's one thing that I do not know. Generally airbags receive their signal to deploy with the activation of 2 impact sensors. Just 1 there could be mistaken deployments. But 2 leaves little doubt. What I don't know is if these impact sensors are a one time activated and done. And if those sensors have to be replaced. And I don't know where they are.

In my engineering opinion, if properly wearing a seatbelt, the front airbags are more harm than good. But the side airbags (seat side and curtain airbags) are quite useful. The curtain airbag can make a big difference in head impact. And seat side airbag does a good job of protecting your riblets.

In reality, you could rebuild your car without replacing the airbags. But you're likely going to have an airbag light on, on your dash. I drove for years a car with a blown out steering wheel airbag. It didn't bother me in the least. I wear my seat belt. But side and curtain airbags in my opinion are more valuable.

I don't know the cost of replacement airbags. And don't know if replacement of the impact sensors are required or not. In my opinion, this airbag thing is the biggest hurdle to jump, when considering to repair or not.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Yes! Life in Atlanta is approaching THUNDERDOME!

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I wanted to mention, air bags are actually quite simple. Outside of the horrifically powerful chemical reaction, they are very simple. Since your curtain air bag deployed, likely that trim piece is loosened / popped out / possibly damaged.

All you really have to do is A) DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY, B) pay close attention to how you remove the deployed airbag. It's just held in with bolts. And C) reinstall the new one, connect it and you're good to go.

However, there's one thing that I do not know. Generally airbags receive their signal to deploy with the activation of 2 impact sensors. Just 1 there could be mistaken deployments. But 2 leaves little doubt. What I don't know is if these impact sensors are a one time activated and done. And if those sensors have to be replaced. And I don't know where they are.

In my engineering opinion, if properly wearing a seatbelt, the front airbags are more harm than good. But the side airbags (seat side and curtain airbags) are quite useful. The curtain airbag can make a big difference in head impact. And seat side airbag does a good job of protecting your riblets.

In reality, you could rebuild your car without replacing the airbags. But you're likely going to have an airbag light on, on your dash. I drove for years a car with a blown out steering wheel airbag. It didn't bother me in the least. I wear my seat belt. But side and curtain airbags in my opinion are more valuable.

I don't know the cost of replacement airbags. And don't know if replacement of the impact sensors are required or not. In my opinion, this airbag thing is the biggest hurdle to jump, when considering to repair or not.

7milesout
    Thanks 7miles. Maaco quoted me $13k. Hell no. I got a hot lead on some leftover 2020s in a Mitsu lot down in Albany for an OTD price of $18k. Not ideal but I'll do it if I have to because the used market is such crap.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Dirk. If it were me and cosmetics meant nothing:

STAGE 1 - I would make sure the alignment is pretty close. Then fix the tail light enough to not fall off or get tickets. Cut the deployed air bags with a razor knife and vacuum / drive with the windows down as necessary. Make sure nothing sharp can come anywhere close to the tire during any part of suspension travel. Any part of the bumper cover that cannot be completely secured gets cut off. Should be drivable safely and legally depending on what kind of inspections you deal with in your state. BE AWARE any airbags not deployed will most likely be inoperable with the SRS light on.

Stage 2 - When time / weather allows pull the interior trim and bang out the dent in the rear quarter to your satisfaction. Also try to address the taillight mounting area. Pull the bumper cover , repair where needed to install a replacement. Install a replacement color matched if desired.

STAGE 3 Find used airbags (preferably in better shape than the ones you have) and install while heed all necessary precautions.

You could consider saving for a new mirage anywhere after the car is safely and legally drivable.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-22-2021),Top_Fuel (12-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Thanks 7miles. Maaco quoted me $13k. Hell no. I got a hot lead on some leftover 2020s in a Mitsu lot down in Albany for an OTD price of $18k. Not ideal but I'll do it if I have to because the used market is such crap.
    I would get a 2nd opinion on your car. Maaco doesn't want your business apparently.

You have always expressed a preference for your wife's G4. Are you considering both?

I didn't do an extensive search (just threw in an Atlanta zip code & 250 mile radius). Overall, I feel the used G4 models offer some better deals than some of the used Mirages for whatever reason? When I have compared rates at my local credit union in the past, the difference between financing new & used wasn't that much different.

I prefer the 2017+ models (personal preference), but the G4 also appeared in 2017. Just a suggestion - I would get some OTD quotes on a few slightly used G4 (or Mirages) before making a final decision. In my opinion, the Mirage has not changed since 2017, but cruise becoming standard for the ES in 2019 is a very nice positive.

Just a couple examples I have seen. I have not looked closely at them, nor am I recommending them. Just out shopping for a friend!

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1...-3c7c9ef4944d/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/f...-288e1ad3ade2/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/c...-aefe0fe8d204/

Not sure what is up with Certified Motors, but they have a number of G4 vehicles listed. They have others. I just listed the some with low miles. I didn't shop hard here. I just looked briefly.

A local private party sale would be my first preference on a used vehicle. Especially if you can get a good read on the original/current owner of the car.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Aw man, Dirk, sorry for your loss. I feel your pain - your little green car was so cool. Best of luck getting things all sorted out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-18-2021)

That sucks Dirk. Get out the scissors(cut that airbag out) and pick up a used tail light. It'd piss off the finger wagging safety nazi's! I wouldn't be driving people around like that unless the signed a waiver first.

I really wouldn't spend much "fixing" it. If you're gonna dump $6000 to try and fix it then why not just buy another used Mirage for $6000? They're out there...https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0-8f41cd3ca0eb
    Or buy a plane ticket, and pick up this one ($9300usd 2017 GT with 10,000miles) https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...6094?undefined drive it home, get an out of country inspection.

Have you taken it to your local mechanic guy? I'd give that a go first. Make sure the frame rails and axle aren't bent then see if they can pop out the dents a bit, throw a tail light on it and giver. Offer cash no receipt. I can't see many shops wanting to scab that together and put their name on it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-22-2021),mohammad (12-18-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That sucks Dirk. Get out the scissors(cut that airbag out) and pick up a used tail light. It'd piss off the finger wagging safety nazi's! I wouldn't be driving people around like that unless the signed a waiver first.

I really wouldn't spend much "fixing" it. If you're gonna dump $6000 to try and fix it then why not just buy another used Mirage for $6000? They're out there...https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0-8f41cd3ca0eb
    Or buy a plane ticket, and pick up this one ($9300usd 2017 GT with 10,000miles) https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...6094?undefined drive it home, get an out of country inspection.

Have you taken it to your local mechanic guy? I'd give that a go first. Make sure the frame rails and axle aren't bent then see if they can pop out the dents a bit, throw a tail light on it and giver. Offer cash no receipt. I can't see many shops wanting to scab that together and put their name on it.
    Fummins your back! And all it took was me wrecking the **** out of my car! Lol. Man, my neck is killing me. Whiplash just hits you 24 hrs later sometimes. Thank you for the kind words and the link. It'd be so cool to Canada, especially Alberta, after seeing all your photos.

For all the critics saying these cars are death traps can kiss my azz. I switched lanes without checking my blind spot thoroughly, like an idiot, doing about 45mph right into a brand new Jeep Grand Cheerokee. My Mirage spun out about a 180° angle too. All I can say is the safety cage is legit on these cars.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-02-2022),fc321 (01-06-2022),mohammad (12-18-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would get a 2nd opinion on your car. Maaco doesn't want your business apparently.

You have always expressed a preference for your wife's G4. Are you considering both?

I didn't do an extensive search (just threw in an Atlanta zip code & 250 mile radius). Overall, I feel the used G4 models offer some better deals than some of the used Mirages for whatever reason? When I have compared rates at my local credit union in the past, the difference between financing new & used wasn't that much different.

I prefer the 2017+ models (personal preference), but the G4 also appeared in 2017. Just a suggestion - I would get some OTD quotes on a few slightly used G4 (or Mirages) before making a final decision. In my opinion, the Mirage has not changed since 2017, but cruise becoming standard for the ES in 2019 is a very nice positive.

Just a couple examples I have seen. I have not looked closely at them, nor am I recommending them. Just out shopping for a friend!

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1...-3c7c9ef4944d/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/f...-288e1ad3ade2/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/c...-aefe0fe8d204/

Not sure what is up with Certified Motors, but they have a number of G4 vehicles listed. They have others. I just listed the some with low miles. I didn't shop hard here. I just looked briefly.

A local private party sale would be my first preference on a used vehicle. Especially if you can get a good read on the original/current owner of the car.
    Very thoughtful of you to hunt those deals down, Mark. I checked but they were all on an independent dealer's lot. We're going to financing through our bank, so their rule is that it has to be a name brand dealership or Carmax. I'm scouring that route.

I took a page out of your book and called Albany Mitsubishi for an OTD price from one of their 2020/2021 leftovers. I think everything they have posted up is from a sister Mitsubishi dealership out of Florida? The salesman mentioned they were going to have to get whatever I selected from Tennessee, but all their 2020 and 2021 Mirages are listed as being in Florida after checking the vin#.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Very thoughtful of you to hunt those deals down, Mark. I checked but they were all on an independent dealer's lot. We're going to financing through our bank, so their rule is that it has to be a name brand dealership or Carmax. I'm scouring that route.

I took a page out of your book and called Albany Mitsubishi for an OTD price from one of their 2020/2021 leftovers. I think everything they have posted up is from a sister Mitsubishi dealership out of Florida? The salesman mentioned they were going to have to get whatever I selected from Tennessee, but all their 2020 and 2021 Mirages are listed as being in Florida after checking the vin#.
    You have to do whatever is best for you!

Financing with Ally (@ the Mitsubishi dealership) gave me the best deal at the time. It took another $500 off the price of the car. I refinanced the car with with local credit union 3 months later. It cost me $30 to refinance with my credit union. I did both Ally & local credit union loan on line. Never visited the dealership or the bank with my purchase. Both Richard (WB) and my loan officer at the credit union agreed it was the best route to take. My local credit union person was a former student, however. It's small town where I live.

My dad (GMC Terrain) & brother (GMC Sierra) wanted to pay cash for their last new vehicles. Paying cash would have have cost them thousands extra! Seriously, it was several thousand dollars extra saved by financing the stupid vehicle.

My dad paid off his entire vehicle on with his first payment 3 weeks later with no penalty. My brother was told to wait three months (make three normal payments) before paying it off completely.

I was told likewise when I had the Credit Union pay off Ally loan three months later.

I am not saying any of this is right for you, but I would be open about options (read the fine print, too).

If financing restrictions are going to make me pay several thousand more for vehicle, I would consider other options. Just speaking for myself when I say that!

My best vehicle purchase was a private party purchase on a Honda CR-V. I don't rule out anything.

If someone told me I had to buy a car from Carmax, I would RUN not walk away. That's not someone looking out for my best interest in car shopping. The more you pay for a car, the more money the banks makes. No bank would ever tell me where to buy a car! Once again, that's me!

Credit scores, length of loan, interest rates are all factors. I wouldn't buy a car that I couldn't pay off in a year or two. I don't like car loans. It keeps me from buying other stuff I like more!

Don't mean to discourage you. I just think a person has to have an open mind. My 81 year old dad is pretty bull headed, and he caved to financing a vehicle to get the best price. He played their game & just paid it all off a few weeks later.

If you don't know the OTD price, you don't know the price of the car. Listed prices mean NOTHING! Good luck my friend!

Last edited by Mark; 12-18-2021 at 04:24 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (12-18-2021)