Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrecked my Mirage....... UPDATE: bought another one

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Lol, that's Karl Hungus from The Big Lebowski.
    Peter Stormare is hilarious.

Last edited by Eggman; 12-21-2021 at 02:01 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    I noticed when I checked the vin the odometer was reading 515 miles. Seems like a lot for a car that's been sitting in a lot for year. At least I know it spent its time only in FL and GA.
    That does seem like quite a few miles for a new car, but I wouldn't bring it up. I would just make sure it's being sold to you as a new car with the full new car warranty in place.

You don't want to pay a new car price & sacrifice the 10-year/100,000 mile power train warranty.

We shouldn't see or hear any CVT fretting from you any time soon now!

Remember when you wanted to buy a used CVT for a your 2014 Mirage (just in case)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Attachment 22517

Here she is. The red rocket AKA The Dog Penis AKA Tojo's Revenge. I pick her up the 27th. I hope the seats are better than in my 2014. Even though it was the base ES, it still came with an OEM center armrest. I love the one in my wife's G4. We will see if I like the Android Auto feature, I'm not convinced.
    Congrats on the brand new whip! I gotta say...I am stunned to see you went for the CVT!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Congrats on the brand new whip! I gotta say...I am stunned to see you went for the CVT!
    No choice, the wife simply refuses to learn to row gears. It's been 20 years since I've driven one too but it's like riding bike right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    No choice, the wife simply refuses to learn to row gears. It's been 20 years since I've driven one too but it's like riding bike right?
    Ummm, Dirk if she refuses to learn that means only you will drive it if you get a 5 speed. If you driven a stick before even if it was a long time ago you'll be fine after 15-30 minutes. I know my next (and last) Mirage will be a 5 speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad you found one man. Idk about 18 but it is what it is right now. For that money I would have to pony up a few more and get one of those new Corolla hatches. That car has all of my attention right now.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Glad you found one man. Idk about 18 but it is what it is right now. For that money I would have to pony up a few more and get one of those new Corolla hatches. That car has all of my attention right now.
    The cheapest 6-speed manual Corolla hatchback (2019 with 52,000 miles) is about $22,000 near me (200 miles away).

If I had to replace my Mirage today, I would be looking for a manual Toyota Matrix (or Pontiac Vibe) with less than 100,000 miles on it. Those cars were Corolla hatchbacks with a different name. It would take some effort, but I think I could find one for well under half the price of the more modern Corolla hatchback.

A well taken care Matrix or Vibe will run for a very long time. I really like my Mirage, but I wouldn't pay more than $10,000 for one (new or used) without considering other options.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The cheapest 6-speed manual Corolla hatchback (2019 with 52,000 miles) is about $22,000 near me (200 miles away).

If I had to replace my Mirage today, I would be looking for a manual Toyota Matrix (or Pontiac Vibe) with less than 100,000 miles on it. Those cars were Corolla hatchbacks with a different name. It would take some effort, but I think I could find one for well under half the price of the more modern Corolla hatchback.

A well taken care Matrix or Vibe will run for a very long time. I really like my Mirage, but I wouldn't pay more than $10,000 for one (new or used) without considering other options.
    I am finding 19-20 6 speed SEs with <20k miles for 19-22k. I really like the looks. Just need to drive one. Bonus is that they are 5x100 and I get to scratch my custom wheel itch with some OZ Ultraleggeras I have stashed away from my VW days...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

What about a Maverick? I know it's a Ford so it probably won't last as long but I'd think about one maybe. Only the base hybrid model though. Attachment 22525

I too have seen a lot new and low mileage(under 30k miles) Corollas for around $20,000cad so $15 and change in usd.

I always look for other cars for buy. I change my mind weekly. If I were in Dirks shoes I probably woulda done the same. At least you know what to expect. Annnnd......... a rear brake job will be cheaper next time, the newer larger drums are more common in the aftermarket. For the seats, I they'll probably be firmer just cause they're new but I wouldn't expect an entirely redesigned seat. I don't notice any difference between my almost 300k 2014 seat and a 100k 2019.

The price difference between the US and here is bizarre. I have a friend that just sold his pos F150 that he beat the hell out for the last 7 years. An auto exporter bought it directly from him to export down south. Buddy made a deal over the phone, drove 2hrs into the city, did all the paper work and money stuff, then he sat in the passenger seat and they drove him back home in his "old" truck. It had tons of dents, scratches, threw random missfire codes, was in 3 accidents, and they gave him close to 30k(cad) for it.

Here you go Mark: 2010 Vibe with 83k miles for $5000usd (6500cad) https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...8823?undefined

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What about a Maverick? I know it's a Ford so it probably won't last as long but I'd think about one maybe. Only the base hybrid model though. Attachment 22525

I too have seen a lot new and low mileage(under 30k miles) Corollas for around $20,000cad so $15 and change in usd.

I always look for other cars for buy. I change my mind weekly. If I were in Dirks shoes I probably woulda done the same. At least you know what to expect. Annnnd......... a rear brake job will be cheaper next time, the newer larger drums are more common in the aftermarket. For the seats, I they'll probably be firmer just cause they're new but I wouldn't expect an entirely redesigned seat. I don't notice any difference between my almost 300k 2014 seat and a 100k 2019.

The price difference between the US and here is bizarre. I have a friend that just sold his pos F150 that he beat the hell out for the last 7 years. An auto exporter bought it directly from him to export down south. Buddy made a deal over the phone, drove 2hrs into the city, did all the paper work and money stuff, then he sat in the passenger seat and they drove him back home in his "old" truck. It had tons of dents, scratches, threw random missfire codes, was in 3 accidents, and they gave him close to 30k(cad) for it.

Here you go Mark: 2010 Vibe with 83k miles for $5000usd (6500cad) https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...8823?undefined
    Fummins! The King! Glad your back! I missed your sense of humor immensely my friend. I know $18k was too much, but it is what it is. This will be my 1st new car, so there's that. I searched man and searched, but the only new car I could find that matched in price was the Spark. After reading your posts about Daewoo/GMKorea products, there was no way in Mother loving hell I was going to go that route lol. Infrared Mirage color reminds me of 80's Mitsubishi red paint. I miss my green machine hard though. OG early Mirage front design will always be the best IMO. ALOT of the serious mods crowd prefer it, just judging from all the youtube videos.