Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrecked my Mirage....... UPDATE: bought another one

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I can't just park this thing in my apartment complex. It's a nice one with strict rules. They had my ex-neighbor's car towed because it sat in the lot with a flat tire for 2 weeks. I can't imagine how long they'd give me, somebody would complain.
    Not saying you should get the whole car and bring it home. What I am saying is you can go to a wrecking yard and get four wheels with bald tires that hold air to put on the car while it is at the tow yard so you can get your aftermarket wheels back.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Not saying you should get the whole car and bring it home. What I am saying is you can go to a wrecking yard and get four wheels with bald tires that hold air to put on the car while it is at the tow yard so you can get your aftermarket wheels back.
    If your 2014 Mirage was still at the salvage yard when you have your new Mirage, you could probably lift your old car onto 4 jack stands @ the salvage yard -

Remove your alloy wheels & take them somewhere like Discount Tire,

Have DT put the new Falken tires/new tire sensors on your aftermarket rims & put the Barum tires/2014 sensors on your new steels rims.

Then go back to the salvage yard & put the new steel rims/Barum tires/old sensors on your old car.

Salvage yard may have a jack & 4 jack stands that you could borrow for a few hours to pull this off.

It's still a lot of hassle. If you only paid $70 for the alloy wheels, new steel rims are usually $50+ each. I would look what new rims would cost today before making a final decision. Vision Cross rims come up @ $111/rim for me today.

165/65r14 Falken tires replaced factory Dunlop tires starting with 2021 models with 14" tires. Since 2021, only the top trim level SE has 15" tires. Prior to 2021, the LE & GT had 15" tires.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-22-2021 at 03:01 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    IDK where 7milesout has been, but he should buy this from you and put a mad max style rear bumper guard on it and a lift kit and give it to his nephew.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-23-2021),dragon2knight (01-02-2022),Fummins (12-22-2021),MetroMPG (12-22-2021)

Wtf would you buy 4 wheels to get rid of a wrecked car. It has a spare does it not?
    Regardless, it's his car. If you want it go buy it and do whatever you want with it.

Sounds like Dirk doesn't gaf about his wheels, the rh rear one is probably bent anyways.
    But if you have a really have a raging dinger for those wheels.... I'd call a few wreckers that aren't too far away and see what they offer you. Let them know that you want your wheels back. Buy a pair of scissors or a knife, cut the airbag(s) off so you can see and drive it to whoever offer's you the most money.

You don't get snow so why would you want your old wheels back anyways, what need do you have for 2 sets of wheels. Where are you gonna store them? As mentioned multiple times, Dirk lives in an apartment and doesn't have a garage. Besides the cheap aluminum wheels are probably heavier and weaker than the oem ones.

Unless 7milesout wants the car he's kinda hooped.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wtf would you buy 4 wheels to get rid of a wrecked car. It has a spare does it not?
    Regardless, it's his car. If you want it go buy it and do whatever you want with it.

Sounds like Dirk doesn't gaf about his wheels, the rh rear one is probably bent anyways.
    But if you have a really have a raging dinger for those wheels.... I'd call a few wreckers that aren't too far away and see what they offer you. Let them know that you want your wheels back. Buy a pair of scissors or a knife, cut the airbag(s) off so you can see and drive it to whoever offer's you the most money.

You don't get snow so why would you want your old wheels back anyways, what need do you have for 2 sets of wheels. Where are you gonna store them? As mentioned multiple times, Dirk lives in an apartment and doesn't have a garage. Besides the cheap aluminum wheels are probably heavier and weaker than the oem ones.

Unless 7milesout wants the car he's kinda hooped.
    I prefer steel rims myself, but I also have 8 wheels for my Mirage. Since I move wheels around & tend to buy replacement tires in pairs not sets of 4, slapping wheel covers on steel rims is just easier.

Dirk liked his Vision Cross wheels enough to buy them for both his Mirage & his wife's G4.

If he wanted to use his aftermarket rims, Dirk would need to switch out the sensors in them, too.

The only thing that makes sense to me is what I said in my previous post. If can set your old Mirage on jack stands for a few hours & yank off the wheels, a place like Discount Tire could switch out the tires & sensors. Your aftermarket rims with new factory tires & matching factory sensors go on your new Mirage. The new steels rims with old tires & sensors go back on your old Mirage @ the salvage yard.

If a new set of Vision Cross rims are about $450, he has to decide it that hassle is worth that to him. I would personally just use the new car as is. When it comes time to replace the factory tires, consider rim shopping again. I think aftermarket rims are a waste of money, but we all know I am no frills sort of guy when it comes to cars.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-22-2021)

Been following this thread from the sidelines... chiming in to say glad you got things sorted out, Dirk!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Plus, this should keep one my favorite members on the forum for many, many years to come!!!!
    Seconded!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Oh, and Dirk! I got a sweet, sweet set of 2014 alloys I'll trade for your steelies & hubcaps. Road trip to Ontario!

Thread: Trade: my OEM alloys for your steelies+hubcaps (Eastern Ontario)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you're living in a complex that won't let you do body work and engine swaps in the parking lot, then your standards are too high. Now I know why you don't want to drive around in a Mirage held together with Gorilla tape.
    I might upgrade to 15" wheels though with 175 55 r15 tires like on the top trim.

I forgot to say congrats on getting a new car. I'm jealous! I've never bought a new car before.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-23-2021),fc321 (01-06-2022)

Me neither. And probably never will. And now I have new Mirage envy again.