Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrecked my Mirage....... UPDATE: bought another one

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    And the suspension piece, can probably be replaced as well...
    Do you see a damaged suspension piece somewhere? Am I overlooking something?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Well, Maaco called me back. They barely even had to look at it and said it was going to cost well over $6k, probably closer to $7k. It still runs and drives fine, so I'm considering shopping around for differing quotes from other shops, but because the side airbags deployed, he's positive there is severe structural damage. He said if it was him, he'd just sell it to a junkyard. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to drive it to different bodyshops, nor pay for multiple tows. I'm completely gutted by this. It couldn't be a worse time to be looking for a new car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    It was my fault I'm screwed.
    Sad news my friend!

Since you are on your own, I would seek quotes (bare minimum repairs for a self paying customer) from local body shops. If it were me, I would be interested in the cheapest route that makes it decent again.

For example, I don't think a used black bumper would look all that bad (may be more common than the green). Don't have it painted. Just leave it black. I seen others do that, & it actually looks go to me. Actually one in particular was an Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder, & it looked great!

Auto body repairs aren't cheap these days. I hope your find some kind soul who will help you out for decent price. I assume there's another party involved and liability will take care of them. Unless you tried to take on a tree or post?

Glad you are not hurt! Cars can be repaired or replaced.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-16-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Well, Maaco called me back. They barely even had to look at it and said it was going to cost well over $6k, probably closer to $7k. It still runs and drives fine, so I'm considering shopping around for differing quotes from other shops, but because the side airbags deployed, he's positive there is severe structural damage. He said if it was him, he'd just sell it to a junkyard. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to drive it to different bodyshops, nor pay for multiple tows. I'm completely gutted by this. It couldn't be a worse time to be looking for a new car.
    The air bags deployed does raise more concerns.

If you just had liability, I assume you don't have a lien on it. I think you will have to get a few quotes to make a wise decision. Share pics with body shop owners! If you sense someone is a possibility, ask if they would go look at it before you have it towed to them.

I feel for you! Ugh!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-16-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sad news my friend!

Since you are on your own, I would seek quotes (bare minimum repairs for a self paying customer) from local body shops. If it were me, I would be interested in the cheapest route that makes it decent again.

For example, I don't think a used black bumper would look all that bad (may be more common than the green). Don't have it painted. Just leave it black. I seen others do that, & it actually looks go to me. Actually one in particular was an Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder, & it looked great!

Auto body repairs aren't cheap these days. I hope your find some kind soul who will help you out for decent price. I assume there's another party involved and liability will take care of them. Unless you tried to take on a tree or post?

Glad you are not hurt! Cars can be repaired or replaced.
    Another car was involved. I switched over a lane and didn't see them coming. My feeling is I'm going to have to shop around for another Mirage. My insurance is already going to go up but I haven't been in a wreck or got any tickets in 20 years so I hope All-State doesn't rape me to bad. I'm also assuming they'd want a lot more money to insure a car with structure damage. Thank you all so much for your kind words. If anyone spots a deal for a used CVT Mirage under 50k miles or a decently priced one new, let me know. I'll be looking hard myself. I'm willing to drive or fly wherever.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry to see this. As stated earlier, try to find a Mom & Pop kinda shop & tell them your story. Some of the franchised shops have a "Pricing Schedule" they go buy, but an independent may go easier on you if you tell them you are paying out of your pocket. Get used parts & if able, offer to pay "Cash". That may help if your able to... Good Luck...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Do you see a damaged suspension piece somewhere? Am I overlooking something?
    I was thinking the below highlighted red member was pushed outward. I'm not familiar with the suspension down yonder. It may be like that from the factory for all I know.

Name:  Dirk Susp 1.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  78.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Dirk - I found a shop with a flexible owner. I'm in the quotation process right now. Let's see just how resourceful he is. My job is mo' bigguh than yours. I hope to get my job done for $4k. In my case, there will be damage remaining (interior) when done. I'll have to deal with that on my own.

I'll share the name of the shop with you in a PM, but they're up north, straddling the state line near Chattanooga (where my crashed G35 has been stored).

My G35 was crashed mo' worster than yours, but it still drives GREAT. And everything on the car including the A/C works just fine. It would be a shame to put your car out to pasture over that particular crash.

You must have been on I-285 doing less than 85 mph, changing lanes to the right and one of the 115 mph fly-bys rammed you. No?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...side airbags deployed
    Oh snap. That is a not-so-minor detail. You can probably add $1K per airbag to the estimate. Taking another look at the photos, I can see the side curtain airbag through the right/rear window.

Do all of the doors and hatch still open and close?
    Was the rear wheel hit? It doesn't look like it.

The damage doesn't look good but the car looks driveable. No body shop will ever tell you that because they don't want to be liable. Maaco is the bottom of the bodyshop food chain...just sayin'.

Your biggest dilemma may be that you now have a car without a functioning airbag system. That is going to raise some potential legal issues for you (and your insurance company) if you just tape it together and continue driving it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I was thinking the below highlighted red member was pushed outward.
    It looks strange but that's what it looks like from the factory.