Thread: 2014 vs 2021 seat material and comfort?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

2014 vs 2021 seat material and comfort?

Are the seats completely the same for all year Mirages? Anyone have experience? Fummins mentioned that brand new seats will be stiffer and give the illusion of providing support until they wear out. This makes sense, but I was wondering if Mitsu ever did anything to upgrade them as far as material goes?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-26-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Mitsubishi changed the contouring of the rear seat in 2017, and I think they may have made the 6-way adjustable driver's seat standard at some point. But other than that I am not aware of any significant changes in seat design or materials?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-26-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Mitsubishi changed the contouring of the rear seat in 2017, and I think they may have made the 6-way adjustable driver's seat standard at some point. But other than that I am not aware of any significant changes in seat design or materials?
    Yeah, the 6 way adjusting driver's seat comes standard for 2021s. It's still just 4 way for front passenger. I played with the twist wheel in a showroom Mirage back in 2019 and wasn't impressed. The seat can barely lower at all with that jack under the seat. It really only helps little people and not anyone over 6ft tall IMO. My biggest issue is the pedals are too close and the wheel too far, so I am forced to drive with the seat all the way back and left hand resting at 7 o'clock. It's not the most comfortable hand position. I was hoping lowering the seat might help a bit but I doubt it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Dirk, I'm pretty certain the fabric in Mirages has changed over the years.

I have the black fabric with the weird circles all over. That pattern is cancelled now. Has been cancelled for years.

But I think that it's not just the pattern that's changed, but the seat fabric itself has changed. Like for example, the upper level Denim trims. Plus the seat contours in the rear, compared to the flat bench.

Hopefully the material is longer lasting since my 2014 has a tear in the bum area of the seat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Dirk, I'm pretty certain the fabric in Mirages has changed over the years.

I have the black fabric with the weird circles all over. That pattern is cancelled now. Has been cancelled for years.

But I think that it's not just the pattern that's changed, but the seat fabric itself has changed. Like for example, the upper level Denim trims. Plus the seat contours in the rear, compared to the flat bench.

Hopefully the material is longer lasting since my 2014 has a tear in the bum area of the seat.
    The fabric and design aesthetics I could care less about about honestly. I was just hoping the support material in the cushions was of a higher quality, but I doubt it. I can't find anything online about Mitsu upgrading seat foam for the 2021s.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if the foam quality has gotten better.

The seats look totally different in the 2022s on the Canadian website. And the price has gone up to $14,098 for a base Mirage. I think you get more stuff in a base 2022 than in a base 2014. But now a base Mirage is the price of a base Lancer when I bought my car.

Name:  seats.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  81.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Yeah, the 6 way adjusting driver's seat comes standard for 2021s. It's still just 4 way for front passenger. I played with the twist wheel in a showroom Mirage back in 2019 and wasn't impressed. The seat can barely lower at all with that jack under the seat. It really only helps little people and not anyone over 6ft tall IMO. My biggest issue is the pedals are too close and the wheel too far, so I am forced to drive with the seat all the way back and left hand resting at 7 o'clock. It's not the most comfortable hand position. I was hoping lowering the seat might help a bit but I doubt it.
    The 6-way adjustable driver's seat became standard for the ES model in 2019. The Mirage hadn't really received any new features from 2017 to 2020. Some already existing features on upper trim levels became standard on the ES &/or LE during that time period.

I had to decide between an ES & SE manual in 2017, & I also found the 6-way adjustable seat to be a non issue for a taller person.

As far as the seats changing over time, you should be able to answer that for us. You will have experienced the 2014, 2017, & 2021 seats.