Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage - Cold MN day

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage - Cold MN day

Wife ran car for 10 Mins and shut off. I went to start and got the traction light on the dash and no response to start button. when my wife got it going i had the traction light and slow mo. once i parked it at Ace and tehn shut it off and restarted all was good again! I haven't replaced the battery 2015 , bought used. earlier in summer was getting code about Oxygen sensor heater but once i played with the cable it went off and has been off since. FYI i am not very technical on cars. any advice, please! Thanks. Brian.

It's hard to fix something over the internet, especially if it's not broken anymore. Let's try to fix it until it is broken!
    Or not.

Are you positive it was the traction control light that came on and not something like a key not detected light? What do you mean by slow mo.

Were you both using the same Key(fob) when trying to start it?

What did your wife do to get it going?

If the car battery is original it'd say Hitatchi on it and have little caps on the top that unscrew. I've had to replace a few this morning that didn't want to start yesterday morning when it was -33C(-27F).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's hard to fix something over the internet, especially if it's not broken anymore. Let's try to fix it until it is broken!
    Or not.

Are you positive it was the traction control light that came on and not something like a key not detected light? What do you mean by slow mo.

Were you both using the same Key(fob) when trying to start it?

What did your wife do to get it going?

If the car battery is original it'd say Hitatchi on it and have little caps on the top that unscrew. I've had to replace a few this morning that didn't want to start yesterday morning when it was -33C(-27F).
    Same FOB, and yes traction lights on. to me it appears to be a limp home mode. it has happened once before. After sh had it warming and when i got out to start it nothing would happened and a bunch of lights were on the dash. i will try my odbc 2 reader and see if i can get a code. she said she messed with the pedal and (maybe flooded engine? ) i drove 2 blocks no acceleration but once i restart it all was fine. wierd. i think i may just replace the bat anyways since it is at least 4 years old and Mn weather. will post later if i get a code.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tewin777 View Post
    Same FOB, and yes traction lights on. to me it appears to be a limp home mode. it has happened once before. After sh had it warming and when i got out to start it nothing would happened and a bunch of lights were on the dash. i will try my odbc 2 reader and see if i can get a code. she said she messed with the pedal and (maybe flooded engine? ) i drove 2 blocks no acceleration but once i restart it all was fine. wierd. i think i may just replace the bat anyways since it is at least 4 years old and Mn weather. will post later if i get a code.

Don't forget to let the CVT warm up before driving. The owners manual has specific information when the temperatures are very cold.

Startability of continuously variable transmission
    (CVT) vehicles with an ambient
    temperature of -4 °F (-20 °C) or lower
    When the ambient temperature is -4 °F (-20
    °C) or lower, it may not be possible to start
    from a standstill even with the selector lever
    in the “D” (DRIVE) or “R” (REVERSE)
    position.
    This phenomenon occurs because the transaxle
    has not warmed up sufficiently; it does
    not indicate a problem. If this occurs, place
    the selector lever in the “P” (PARK) position
    and let the engine idle for at least 10 minutes.
    The transaxle will warm up, and you will be
    able to start normally.
    Do not leave the vehicle during warm-up
    operation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  Mirage - Dash.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  91.9 KB
    These were the lights on.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tewin777 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-29-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, for the info. this is the dirst year not parked in the garage.

By chance are you driving around with something plugged into the obdII port when this happens? If so don't. Some of those things can cause no throttle and random abs/traction control lights.

If it was flooded(which happens to me a lot on the work cars) it shouldn't throw a light and you should have normal throttle once it starts.

Only other though is maybe a corroded connector behind the kick panel? There is a recall for this but I've had cars still act up after this has been done. If you happen to have a maf code it could be broken wires in the harness along the front of the engine.
    Could be anything...or nothing. It's fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    i think i may just replace the bat anyways since it is at least 4 years old and Mn weather. will post later if i get a code.
    My 2017 Mirage was built January 2017. My factory car battery is most likely 5 years old already.

The date your car was manufactured is stamped on a plate along the driver's door frame. If you have a 2015 Mirage with a factory battery, the battery is probably closer to 7 years old (verses 4 years old). If you have an original factory battery, it may be worth having it tested/replaced regardless of any other issues. Especially, if you do short trips frequently.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nothing in ODBDII , but great point. i only use it for codes only. Thanks for the info.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tewin777 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Because of the TC riots my employer shut down our office and we all work remotely. Thats the reason why i bought the Mirage for the gas mileage but fell in love with the car. Darn thing handles snow and rain better then my old Mazda Protege! Thanks.