Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirage - Cold MN day

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK it happened again today but i was at the mechanic's a scan tool show ECM issue. u100 or something like that and wouldnt start. Battery appears to be fine. I will keep you updated.

So what is it doing again? Not starting or traction control light while driving?

U0100 is just a communication code. It's not really an "ecm problem". Does your mechanic have a scan tool to check all the modules for codes or just a code reader? Hopefully he's more competent than the dealers are when it comes to wiring problems.

Edit: never mind reading is hard.

So it's cranking over and will not start. My guess is flooded then the battery dies to the point of not enough juice to power the ecm...and then throws that code. If you haven't, get the battery tested. They're kinda rated pretty poor from new anyways. 350cca I believe. I've been installing 600cca batteries in these lately. All our work mirages are plugged(supposed to be at least) in when it's below -20c though.
    If these don't start on the first try when it's cold then there a 98% chance it's flooded. Let it sit 5-10 mins then turn the key to run(not start) hold the throttle to the floor(do not pump it) then crank it. 95% of the time this works for me. The rest of the time I gotta pull the spark plugs out, unplug the fuel injectors, crank it over for a while to get all the fuel out of the cylinders, clean the spark plugs then do the reverse.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-07-2022 at 09:23 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    So what is it doing again? Not starting or traction control light while driving?

U0100 is just a communication code. It's not really an "ecm problem". Does your mechanic have a scan tool to check all the modules for codes or just a code reader? Hopefully he's more competent than the dealers are when it comes to wiring problems.

Edit: never mind reading is hard.

So it's cranking over and will not start. My guess is flooded then the battery dies to the point of not enough juice to power the ecm...and then throws that code. If you haven't, get the battery tested. They're kinda rated pretty poor from new anyways. 350cca I believe. I've been installing 600cca batteries in these lately. All our work mirages are plugged(supposed to be at least) in when it's below -20c though.
    If these don't start on the first try when it's cold then there a 98% chance it's flooded. Let it sit 5-10 mins then turn the key to run(not start) hold the throttle to the floor(do not pump it) then crank it. 95% of the time this works for me. The rest of the time I gotta pull the spark plugs out, unplug the fuel injectors, crank it over for a while to get all the fuel out of the cylinders, clean the spark plugs then do the reverse.
    Being a neighbor to Minnesota, last night was the coldest night we've had this winter. I have never sensed my 2017 Mirage factory battery hesitate much in the past, but when I went to run an errand last night I noticed it for the first time. I need to be in town tomorrow morning for driving lessons. I threw a trickle chargers on both my Mirage & Forester a few minutes ago. Just making sure something will start in the morning, but I don't think tonight is going to dip down as far. The Forester has sat for more than week. A trickle charge will be good for it.

Batteries fly off the shelves when colder temperatures hit. Not saying that's the issue, but I wouldn't be shocked if my battery died this winter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Being a neighbor to Minnesota, last night was the coldest night we've had this winter. I have never sensed my 2017 Mirage factory battery hesitate much in the past, but when I went to run an errand last night I noticed it for the first time. I need to be in town tomorrow morning for driving lessons. I threw a trickle chargers on both my Mirage & Forester a few minutes ago. Just making sure something will start in the morning, but I don't think tonight is going to dip down as far. The Forester has sat for more than week. A trickle charge will be good for it.

Batteries fly off the shelves when colder temperatures hit. Not saying that's the issue, but I wouldn't be shocked if my battery died this winter.
    It started i went to my wife who had a flat, called for a tow and then went to the garage where it wouldnt start again all lights on dash! my mechanic came out and we tried to jump it but wouldn't start. but after waiting an hr with a trickle charge it started. yeah im thinking try a new battery. any security stuff i need to be aware of when replacing it??? FYI after it wouldnt start the mechanic ran a pro scan tool which gave a uo100 error. in the summer i did get o2 back sensor heating failure but once i played with the cable that error went away. thanks to all. no charge since he thinks it might be just the cold issue and try a new battery.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tewin777 View Post
    It started i went to my wife who had a flat, called for a tow and then went to the garage where it wouldnt start again all lights on dash! my mechanic came out and we tried to jump it but wouldn't start. but after waiting an hr with a trickle charge it started. yeah im thinking try a new battery. any security stuff i need to be aware of when replacing it??? FYI after it wouldnt start the mechanic ran a pro scan tool which gave a uo100 error. in the summer i did get o2 back sensor heating failure but once i played with the cable that error went away. thanks to all. no charge since he thinks it might be just the cold issue and try a new battery.
    If you live near a Mill's Fleet Farm, have them install one of their group 35 Road Runner battery (72 months/640 CCA) for $114. Then you can tell me what you think of it! I am joking somewhat! They have a group 35 Interstate on sale, too! You may have more choices where you live. My choices are more limited, but Auto Zone is always an option for me, too.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Walmart Everstart Maxx after watching Project Farm's battery tests -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rTcBanpMk

We have Blaine's Farm & Fleet stores in my area, & they offer some good choices price-wise.

If you still have a factory battery, I would start there. It's probably time to replace it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you live near a Mill's Fleet Farm, have them install one of their group 35 Road Runner battery (72 months/640 CCA) for $114. Then you can tell me what you think of it! I am joking somewhat! They have a group 35 Interstate on sale, too! You may have more choices where you live. My choices are more limited, but Auto Zone is always an option for me, too.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Walmart Everstart Maxx after watching Project Farm's battery tests -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rTcBanpMk

We have Blaine's Farm & Fleet stores in my area, & they offer some good choices price-wise.

If you still have a factory battery, I would start there. It's probably time to replace it.
    I love Project Farm and the test they do on stuff! BTW my wife is from Watertown, Wi, she keeps saying you can't have a fleet without the farm, so the farm comes first, then the ole bubbler routine. Fleet Farm vs farm and fleet. to be honest i think batteries are like vcr's everybody had there name on them but was made by only 4 companies. Thanks all for the info.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Being a neighbor to Minnesota, last night was the coldest night we've had this winter. I have never sensed my 2017 Mirage factory battery hesitate much in the past, but when I went to run an errand last night I noticed it for the first time. I need to be in town tomorrow morning for driving lessons. I threw a trickle chargers on both my Mirage & Forester a few minutes ago. Just making sure something will start in the morning, but I don't think tonight is going to dip down as far. The Forester has sat for more than week. A trickle charge will be good for it. .
    Hey Mark, do you have a block heater in your mirage?? They aren't that expensive & only take moments to install. They're a cartridge so you don't need to drain the coolant... We had -27C (~-16F) this AM & the Pumpkin started really well & the scan gage showed 48F coolant temp right away. I also have a battery heater blanket around the original battery to warm it up to help as well. Topfuel has a DIY for install https://mirageforum.com/forum/showthread.php/4831 . The hardest part is routing the cord .
    Last edited by klroger; 01-08-2022 at 02:06 PM. Reason: add link
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Hey Mark, do you have a block heater in your mirage?? They aren't that expensive & only take moments to install. They're a cartridge so you don't need to drain the coolant... We had -27C (~-16F) this AM & the Pumpkin started really well & the scan gage showed 48F coolant temp right away. I also have a battery heater blanket around the original battery to warm it up to help as well. Topfuel has a DIY for install https://mirageforum.com/forum/showthread.php/4831 . The hardest part is routing the cord .
    I have a 2019 post (see quote below) in that thread, & I paid less than $28 apparently.

"I ordered one from Advance Auto @ a total cost of $27.79 shipped to my home."

They are probably more expensive today, but not that overly expensive & you can install them yourself.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-08-2022 at 10:29 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-08-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tewin777 View Post
    I love Project Farm and the test they do on stuff! BTW my wife is from Watertown, Wi, she keeps saying you can't have a fleet without the farm, so the farm comes first, then the ole bubbler routine. Fleet Farm vs farm and fleet. to be honest i think batteries are like vcr's everybody had there name on them but was made by only 4 companies. Thanks all for the info.
    I agree most auto batteries come from a couple sources. Some companies may demand better specs, but that's not easy to sort out.

My grandpa always repeated their line - "If Fleet Farm doesn't have it, I don't need it."

Doesn't everyone called them water bubblers?

Want to buy one -

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/Bubbler...m?skuId=351555