Thread: Scan tools

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Scan tools

I know I've looked at this general topic a few times before and there were threads about it that are buried and don't easily show up in the search.

I know that I am looking for better communication with my mirage ( secondarily family and friend vehicles I end up underneath ).
    I know that I want better than the standard OBD2 codes that you can get at any local parts store for free.
    I figure that if I'm spending good money I may as well put a little bit more with it and get active testing bi-directional control.
    I want something fairly polished. That is to say a reasonable amount of community behind the product, guides and instructionals with a system that All things considered reasonably intuitive.

I see comments around the board suggesting scangauge with torque I see autell mentioned a few times and the etac software that seems to be from Russia.

I just don't know what it is that I don't know.

From the outside looking in it appears to be a deeper level of automotive work and diagnosis. Moving more toward technician and away from throw some parts at it. It also appears to be a field like with many others where the software you start with and get used to is what you're likely to stick with due to time, familiarity, and learning curve. ( I'm thinking in a context similar to Windows versus a Linux distro or paint shop pro versus Photoshop or how so many people hen peck a keyboard instead of more formal typing, etc. )

I've concluded it's just not feasible for me to make a exhaustive or complete comparison of any of these tools even between two from the same manufacturing and from the same product line. They're just seem to be too many feature sets.

I can't seem to figure out What's supposed to be the general difference between the Maxipro and the Maxisys product lines

I'm looking to in general promote some discussion and running dialog on the topic . Perhaps get a consensus on perceived ease of use for various obdii/scan tools/software.
    Seems like the scan tool topic gets brought up with some regularity.

Some general ideas for talking points.

Do we have some opinions on value received for product purchased? Price to performance point values?

Does it feel like you have to go through 10 menu options and a drop-down list 45 to do something that should be relatively simple?

Have you found yourself with a bias for or against a specific product or company?

Are there regular meaningful updates?

For those who have used a variety, if you were starting learning this sector of the industry, which tool, brand, teir would you start with?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    In my workplace, we used a Snap-On Modis ULTRA to read diagnostic codes, read the car's live data, perform service resets (i.e.: oil life, battery management), and put certain Mitsubishis (including an Idaho-registered Mirage G4) into OBD-assisted TPMS relearns using the Bartec Tech 400SD as the sensor activator. It was fast, easy to use, and intuitive. The only things I don't like are the ridiculously high software update subscription prices and you have to call a Snap-On truck to update the scan tool.

If I was in the market for a bi-directional scan tool for myself, I'd start with the Autel MaxiTPMS iTS600 or a MaxiCOM MK808TS. Both are Android-based, and they both use a Bluetooth VCI dongle. Plus, if I want to update the scan tool on the spot (or renew its subscription if I use an MK808TS or upgraded the iTS600 to the iTS600 Pro), I can do it within the tool itself over a Wi-Fi connection. Of course, the subscription costs depend on which Autel Android-based diagnostic scan tool you and I use, ranging from reasonably priced (i.e.: iTS600 and TS608) to ridiculously expensive (i.e.: MaxiSYS MS906 Pro-TS).

The only advice I can share when it comes to buying an Android-based bi-directional scan tool: Choose wisely.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jtr990 For This Useful Post:

Avgjohndoe (01-01-2022),Cobrajet (01-01-2022),Wayne (11-28-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I just bought a Autel MK808 a few months ago. It's a nice, middle-of-the-road, consumer-grade scan tool that probably does everything you'd need it to do. Gets good reviews.

Only used it a couple times, but I have no complaints. It reset the airbag light in my Mirage just fine.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...MK808?p=132929

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Avgjohndoe (05-15-2022),Wayne (11-28-2022)