Thread: Is the USB port behind the shifter only 5V?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Is the USB port behind the shifter only 5V?

I do mobile blood, urine, sampling as an independent contractor and need to use Andriod Auto navigation, a power hungry app. I was wondering if the USB port behind my shifter is 5V? And if so, would I be better off using the 12V cigarette charger with an adapter? This second option would prevent me from using navigation on the touchscreen, but I still have my hug buddy phone holder to clip on to the vent, if I have to. Anyone out there with some experience on this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hello Dirk,

I stumbled upon this yesterday on the internet so good timing.

Q: Is a USB plug AC or DC?
    A: All USB ports are 5 volts DC. The transformer (or computer) will take care of converting the 120/220 AC current to the necessary 5 volts DC. You will not fry anything. The available current can vary though.

I found this using a Google search, of course treat all stuff on the internet with a grain of salt, but it does make sense. The thing you want to know is the amperage (amps) that your device needs.

Here is the internet reference:
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._and_Gear.html

Hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearly G4_MN For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-01-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearly G4_MN View Post
    Hello Dirk,

I stumbled upon this yesterday on the internet so good timing.

Q: Is a USB plug AC or DC?
    A: All USB ports are 5 volts DC. The transformer (or computer) will take care of converting the 120/220 AC current to the necessary 5 volts DC. You will not fry anything. The available current can vary though.

I found this using a Google search, of course treat all stuff on the internet with a grain of salt, but it does make sense. The thing you want to know is the amperage (amps) that your device needs.

Here is the internet reference:
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._and_Gear.html

Hope this helps.
    So the USB is 5V only. Now to figure out if I'll be able to charge at a decent rate whilst using Andriod Auto. I bought a $20 Native Union top of the line USB cable. Hopefully that will have some effect.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    So the USB is 5V only. Now to figure out if I'll be able to charge at a decent rate whilst using Andriod Auto. I bought a $20 Native Union top of the line USB cable. Hopefully that will have some effect.
    The quality of your usb cable will have little effect on the charge rate unless its a really long cable. power lost through the cable in the forum of heat is minimal.

The obvious and most elegant solution to your problem would be to buy a wireless android auto adapter and charge the phone however you want. Heres a link to one of these adapters https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...d-auto-adapter

depending on what phone you have they also make an adapter that would allow you to fast charge your phone with a usb c cigerette lighter adapter and have a passthrough cable for the android auto usb data. Heres a link to that product: https://www.tindie.com/products/rkor...data-splitter/

Ofcourse there's also the super expensive option of installing a new head unit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (01-01-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    The quality of your usb cable will have little effect on the charge rate unless its a really long cable. power lost through the cable in the forum of heat is minimal.

The obvious and most elegant solution to your problem would be to buy a wireless android auto adapter and charge the phone however you want. Heres a link to one of these adapters https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...d-auto-adapter

depending on what phone you have they also make an adapter that would allow you to fast charge your phone with a usb c cigerette lighter adapter and have a passthrough cable for the android auto usb data. Heres a link to that product: https://www.tindie.com/products/rkor...data-splitter/

Ofcourse there's also the super expensive option of installing a new head unit.
    Thank you. I'm going to test what the OEM USB port can do charging wise 1st when I go back to work Monday. If it doesn't charge fast enough, I can switch to the 12V cigarette port with my adapter and just go without Android Auto for an hour. Thank God I kept my hug buddy phone holder that just clicks on the front air vent. That way I getting a fast charge and can still use Google maps. The Andriod Auto is a neat feature but if my car was $2k cheaper without it, I would of gone down that route for sure.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Thank you. I'm going to test what the OEM USB port can do charging wise 1st when I go back to work Monday. If it doesn't charge fast enough, I can switch to the 12V cigarette port with my adapter and just go without Android Auto for an hour. Thank God I kept my hug buddy phone holder that just clicks on the front air vent. That way I getting a fast charge and can still use Google maps. The Andriod Auto is a neat feature but if my car was $2k cheaper without it, I would of gone down that route for sure.
    backup cam is mandated by law in the United states of freedom. even BMW held out on backup cameras till like 2017 on most models. If they are forced to give you a screen for a backup camera surely the addition of the android auto functionality is not more than maybe 1-2 hundred dollars. Definitely not the 2k savings you are envisioning that the cheaper markets get the mirage for. Removing ABS and airbags are where the real savings are at.